Does this only happen to me?

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Does this only happen to me?

Postby Frank39 » Sat May 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Due to differing schedules, or the fact that we eat out once or twice per week, and often end up in a pub, plus my wife occasionally will have a couple of drinks with work colleagues, we record some TV shows that we both like, and watch them together when we get the opportunity.
What REALLY boils my piss though, is when we sit down to watch, e.g. Blue Bloods, or The Good Wife, and something happens on-screen and I'll say, "did he/she just do such and such?"
When there's no reply, I'll glance in her direction, and she's engrossed in her iPhone.
I'll say, "I thought that you wanted to watch this?"
She says, "I'm listening to it."
I say, "if you're not watching the action, you'll maybe miss some subtle nuance."
Without fail, it ends with her throwing her phone somewhere, screaming, "turn the fucking thing off, I don't want to watch it now."
Like any man, I'm not always right, but I think I'm right when I say that by not watching the screen, you are bound to miss something, the dialogue alone can't make up for that.
Frank39

Re: Does this only happen to me?

Postby Vicky » Sat May 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Frank39 wrote:Due to differing schedules, or the fact that we eat out once or twice per week, and often end up in a pub, plus my wife occasionally will have a couple of drinks with work colleagues, we record some TV shows that we both like, and watch them together when we get the opportunity.
What REALLY boils my piss though, is when we sit down to watch, e.g. Blue Bloods, or The Good Wife, and something happens on-screen and I'll say, "did he/she just do such and such?"
When there's no reply, I'll glance in her direction, and she's engrossed in her iPhone.
I say, "if you're not watching the action, you'll maybe miss some subtle nuance."
Without fail, it ends with her throwing her phone somewhere, screaming, "turn the fucking thing off, I don't want to watch it now."
Like any man, I'm not always right, but I think I'm right when I say that by not watching the screen, you are bound to miss something, the dialogue alone can't make up for that.

I know a woman who is blind, but still enjoys the television by listening to what's being said.
Vicky

Postby Stooo » Sat May 28, 2016 4:29 pm

Something like 80% of communication is non verbal. Get her to sit through an episode of 'Lie to Me' if she doesn't believe you.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Sat May 28, 2016 4:40 pm

When I watch programmes this laptop is turned off, the curtains are closed and I settle down to concentrate (I also put subtitles on as I am half deaf in my left ear due to a perforated eardrum).

How anyone can enjoy (for example) a complicated murder mystery when messing about with their phone is beyond me. :dunno:
Keyser

Postby Stooo » Sat May 28, 2016 4:44 pm

Keyser wrote:When I watch programmes this laptop is turned off, the curtains are closed and I settle down to concentrate (I also put subtitles on as I am half deaf in my left ear due to a perforated eardrum).

How anyone can enjoy (for example) a complicated murder mystery when messing about with their phone is beyond me. :dunno:

I watch films on my laptop with other stuff happening on the second screen and music or news bluetoothed to a speaker from my phone as well as the hairy bastard wanting attention. Multitasking, who said it was just something that women can do? :yess:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Sat May 28, 2016 4:48 pm

Stooo wrote:
Keyser wrote:When I watch programmes this laptop is turned off, the curtains are closed and I settle down to concentrate (I also put subtitles on as I am half deaf in my left ear due to a perforated eardrum).

I watch films on my laptop with other stuff happening on the second screen and music or news bluetoothed to a speaker from my phone as well as the hairy bastard wanting attention. Multitasking, who said it was just something that women can do? :yess:

How is the hairy bastard by the way? :mrgreen:
Keyser

Postby Stooo » Sat May 28, 2016 4:49 pm

Keyser wrote:
Stooo wrote:

How is the hairy bastard by the way? :mrgreen:

Flycatching, I forgot to get him his treaties and went for a pint instead :oops:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Sat May 28, 2016 4:54 pm

Stooo wrote:
Flycatching, I forgot to get him his treaties and went for a pint instead :oops:

He will be planning his revenge at this very moment. :ooer:
Keyser

Postby Stooo » Sat May 28, 2016 5:02 pm

Keyser wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I just caved in and got some :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Keyser » Sat May 28, 2016 5:04 pm

Stooo wrote:
Keyser wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I just caved in and got some :shake head:

So you will be safe.

For now...
Keyser

Postby PinkSmurf » Sun May 29, 2016 12:23 am

It took me a moment to realise the hairy bastard is your cat. At first I thought it was your, um, y'know...
PinkSmurf

Postby Keyser » Sun May 29, 2016 9:00 am

PinkSmurf wrote:It took me a moment to realise the hairy bastard is your cat. At first I thought it was your, um, y'know...

Keyser

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2016 12:00 pm

Frank39 wrote:Due to differing schedules, or the fact that we eat out once or twice per week, and often end up in a pub, plus my wife occasionally will have a couple of drinks with work colleagues, we record some TV shows that we both like, and watch them together when we get the opportunity.

Control freak or what? Lot's of people watch tv while on their phone or laptop. You have issues

Postby Frank39 » Sun May 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Guest wrote:

Control freak or what? Lot's of people watch tv while on their phone or laptop. You have issues

Control freak? Issues? Because I point out that by checking emails and WhatsApps on a phone then she will no doubt miss something that may be germane to the show, you portray me as a Victorian husband who must be obeyed?
You prick, what do you know?
Absolutely zero.
I'd never tell her that she MUST watch the TV, but I get pissed when she says as the show ends, "Why did he/she/they not go to the station/office/airport", when if she'd watched the TV screen, she'd have seen the text message that said 'bomb at station/office/airport, stay clear."
Frank39

Postby Holly » Sun May 29, 2016 12:47 pm

My OH and I watch the odd movie together when we get the chance ( he works most of the time at night )...but I'm also here on Dogs and often miss a bit here and there, so I have to ask what just happened, or why did they do this or that...it drives him crazy and keeps asking me every 5 minutes...are you watching? Yes of course I do, but what just happened?... I missed it. We always end up having to rewind :gigglesnshit:
Holly
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug