4K or not 4K that is the question.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby luddite » Tue May 31, 2016 6:33 pm

I've been tempted by 4K televisions but are they a practical proposition?
I currently own a Samsung 46 inch HD TV that was their top telly when I bought it 3 years ago and it compares favourably with those of friends and family who have newer ones.
So would it be worth while putting mine out to pasture and dipping my toe into the 4K pool?

Also, what's with those curved screens, what's that about?
Cad, bounder and part time scoundrel.
User avatar
luddite
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Upper Buggersdale

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby Guest » Tue May 31, 2016 7:47 pm

luddite wrote:I've been tempted by 4K televisions but are they a practical proposition?
I currently own a Samsung 46 inch HD TV that was their top telly when I bought it 3 years ago and it compares favourably with those of friends and family who have newer ones.
So would it be worth while putting mine out to pasture and dipping my toe into the 4K pool?

Also, what's with those curved screens, what's that about?




Simple answer is no, 4k is already outdated. Ever tv you buy now is at least 18 months behind the new technology they will bring out around christmas.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby Stooo » Tue May 31, 2016 8:16 pm

luddite wrote:I've been tempted by 4K televisions but are they a practical proposition?
I currently own a Samsung 46 inch HD TV that was their top telly when I bought it 3 years ago and it compares favourably with those of friends and family who have newer ones.
So would it be worth while putting mine out to pasture and dipping my toe into the 4K pool?

Also, what's with those curved screens, what's that about?


Wait for VR.
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 77049
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby Trapper John » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:47 pm

As I see it, unless they start producing programmes in 4k as a matter of course, it's pointless having one.....the whole thing is just a fad like 3D TV ..... that's pretty much sunk without a trace.

You have to face facts - the majority of programming isn't even in standard HD so what's the chances of 4k taking hold? ..... I do agree on one thing, Samsung are the best TV's you can buy, their picture quality is leaps and bounds better than any of their rivals.
Dear Lord, save us from the wrath of the Tartars
User avatar
Trapper John
Gunner.
 
Posts: 32041
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:36 am
Location: The Emirates Stadium, Islington, London N5

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby luddite » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:28 pm

I would like advice from someone who actually has a 4K TV, advice from people who don't have one is pretty pointless. :flog:
Cad, bounder and part time scoundrel.
User avatar
luddite
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Upper Buggersdale

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Trapper John wrote:As I see it, unless they start producing programmes in 4k as a matter of course, it's pointless having one.....the whole thing is just a fad like 3D TV ..... that's pretty much sunk without a trace.

You have to face facts - the majority of programming isn't even in standard HD so what's the chances of 4k taking hold? ..... I do agree on one thing, Samsung are the best TV's you can buy, their picture quality is leaps and bounds better than any of their rivals.


LG is pretty much their only competitor. The two companies supply pretty much all of the screens from smartphones up to massive displays.
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 77049
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:59 pm

luddite wrote:I would like advice from someone who actually has a 4K TV, advice from people who don't have one is pretty pointless. :flog:


Get a second hand plasma and wait for the new stuff, 4K is a minor increment.
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 77049
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby luddite » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Stooo wrote:
luddite wrote:I would like advice from someone who actually has a 4K TV, advice from people who don't have one is pretty pointless. :flog:


Get a second hand plasma and wait for the new stuff, 4K is a minor increment.

I've seen plasma tellies, I won't be wasting my dosh. :bored:
Cad, bounder and part time scoundrel.
User avatar
luddite
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Upper Buggersdale

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby BigAndy9 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:46 pm

Stooo wrote:
luddite wrote:I've been tempted by 4K televisions but are they a practical proposition?
I currently own a Samsung 46 inch HD TV that was their top telly when I bought it 3 years ago and it compares favourably with those of friends and family who have newer ones.
So would it be worth while putting mine out to pasture and dipping my toe into the 4K pool?

Also, what's with those curved screens, what's that about?


Wait for VR.



"Wait" for VR?

lol
User avatar
BigAndy9
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:31 am

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby BigAndy9 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:52 pm

Anyway...

as for the question, a high percentage of TVs are now 4K so if you're due a tech refresh then yes you might as well go for it especially as the new Xbox AND Playstation will be 4K, so the uptake will probably reach tipping point soon.

Get a console, Netflix on said console and you're away!
User avatar
BigAndy9
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:31 am

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby jp761 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:33 pm

4K and HDR tv's will be worth it when the BBC start rolling out HLG HDR programmes!

Also you really need atleast 55" or above to appreciate it properly.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Though 4K isn't being sent over the air (and may not do so for awhile as it requires twice the bandwidth of HD) there are numerable ways to watch it.

Netflix and Amazon both offer 4K options, in the US PPV movies can be watched on Satellite. The new Xbox S offers a 4K option and there are 4K Blu Ray versions of films

Is it worth upgrading ? if your TV is working probably not. Whether it's worth including 4K as a Must-Have in your next purchase, obviously cost is an issue, but also consider how far away from the TV you're sitting. Based on a ratio of screen size to distance the further away you sit the bigger the TV needs to be to see any difference. So you probably need to be looking at a 50"

The Picture of a 4K is vivid, though I came from an early HDTV to a 4K model the difference was quite noticeable but I've seen later HDTV models which knocked mine out of the field so it's probably not a leap for you

Also consider the band width of your broadband, watching 4K shows on Netflix can really push up your data limits
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby McAz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:44 am

I have 4K and HDR fed by Netflix, Amazon and BT Sport UHD - it's good but not worth losing an arm and a leg over. Don't buy cheap though, you need plenty of processing power and a well manufactured panel for good 4K.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 22357
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby jp761 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:41 pm

Aziz wrote:I have 4K and HDR fed by Netflix, Amazon and BT Sport UHD - it's good but not worth losing an arm and a leg over. Don't buy cheap though, you need plenty of processing power and a well manufactured panel for good 4K.
This is correct if you want to watch 4k and HDR buy decent or don't buy at all just stick to full HD TV's instead. Don't bother with cheaper 4k TV's.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 4675
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby luddite » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Aziz wrote:I have 4K and HDR fed by Netflix, Amazon and BT Sport UHD - it's good but not worth losing an arm and a leg over. Don't buy cheap though, you need plenty of processing power and a well manufactured panel for good 4K.

As I'm not a bloated capitalist, or on benefits, I have none of those things. :bawlin:
I'm quite content with my freeview and freesat PVRs, I also have a Blu-ray player which up scales normal DVDs to near Blu-ray quality. Most of my viewing is via recordings taken when I'm out or sound asleep.
Cad, bounder and part time scoundrel.
User avatar
luddite
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Upper Buggersdale

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests