4K or not 4K that is the question.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: 4K or not 4K that is the question.

Postby McAz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:42 pm

luddite wrote:
Aziz wrote:I have 4K and HDR fed by Netflix, Amazon and BT Sport UHD - it's good but not worth losing an arm and a leg over. Don't buy cheap though, you need plenty of processing power and a well manufactured panel for good 4K.

As I'm not a bloated capitalist, or on benefits, I have none of those things. :bawlin:
I'm quite content with my freeview and freesat PVRs, I also have a Blu-ray player which up scales normal DVDs to near Blu-ray quality. Most of my viewing is via recordings taken when I'm out or sound asleep.

If you are content then resist the temptation. :dunno:

luddite wrote:I've been tempted by 4K televisions but are they a practical proposition?

BTW, I looked at the curved tellys but decided they were too expensive for what I suspect is a gimmick. And if you are happy with freesat and freeview (I have BT primarily for the boxing) then there really is no point in 4K etc since no 4K is transmitted on those platforms.
McAz

Postby luddite » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:46 pm

Aziz wrote:
luddite wrote:
Aziz wrote:I have 4K and HDR fed by Netflix, Amazon and BT Sport UHD - it's good but not worth losing an arm and a leg over. Don't buy cheap though, you need plenty of processing power and a well manufactured panel for good 4K.

As I'm not a bloated capitalist, or on benefits, I have none of those things. :bawlin:
I'm quite content with my freeview and freesat PVRs, I also have a Blu-ray player which up scales normal DVDs to near Blu-ray quality. Most of my viewing is via recordings taken when I'm out or sound asleep.

luddite wrote:I've been tempted by 4K televisions but are they a practical proposition?

BTW, I looked at the curved tellys but decided they were too expensive for what I suspect is a gimmick. And if you are happy with freesat and freeview (I have BT primarily for the boxing) then there really is no point in 4K etc since no 4K is transmitted on those platforms.

I was thinking of the possibility of up scaling as my Blu-ray player does. Perhaps purchasing a 4K Blu-ray player.
luddite

Postby McAz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:01 pm

luddite wrote:
Aziz wrote:
luddite wrote:

I was thinking of the possibility of up scaling as my Blu-ray player does. Perhaps purchasing a 4K Blu-ray player.

The XBox S has a 4K Blu-ray player - I haven't tried it though. I have a Samsung telly and I must say the upscaling is impressive - but is it worth a grand plus if your telly is only 3 years old? I doubt it.

On the other hand The Grand Tour (Top Gear) from Amazon in 4K HDR is delicious.
McAz

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug