It sounded like fun at first

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

It sounded like fun at first

Postby Nucks » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:55 pm

A friend of mine is helping someone out this summer by taking over her snowcone stand near the beach. She texted me last week and asked if I was interested and my daughter (who is friends with her daughter) could come too. We would be paid £5/hr, so initially I thought it would be good experience for the girls so I said yeah. She texted me today and said we have to go into town to get a permit, and I need my passport and a photo (passport size) to use for the permit. And then she says that she and I have to be the "permit holders" with the girls as our employees. I'm hoping this isn't more than I bargained for, with the pay being a bit crap. I only agreed because I thought it sounded like fun. :bawlin: I don't really fancy being in charge of anything for £5/hr. :again?:

Should I just suck it up and do it for the kids?

I already have several jobs (minimal hours) but I don't want to spend my whole summer doing that.
Nucks

Re: It sounded like fun at first

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 pm

If you don't want to do it then don't do it.

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:59 pm

It's not just £5 ph. You'll have accommodation as well won't you? That could be upwards of £400 a week in summer time near the sea. You could do that if you can get time away from other jobs and have a working holiday.

The girls could earn their bit of spending money and enjoy the rest of the time holidaying.

Postby Stooo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Canucklehead wrote:A friend of mine is helping someone out this summer by taking over her snowcone stand near the beach. She texted me last week and asked if I was interested and my daughter (who is friends with her daughter) could come too. We would be paid £5/hr, so initially I thought it would be good experience for the girls so I said yeah. She texted me today and said we have to go into town to get a permit, and I need my passport and a photo (passport size) to use for the permit. And then she says that she and I have to be the "permit holders" with the girls as our employees. I'm hoping this isn't more than I bargained for, with the pay being a bit crap. I only agreed because I thought it sounded like fun. :bawlin: I don't really fancy being in charge of anything for £5/hr. :again?:

I already have several jobs (minimal hours) but I don't want to spend my whole summer doing that.

Is it mobile, in the back of a van?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:28 pm

Canucklehead wrote:A friend of mine is helping someone out this summer by taking over her snowcone stand near the beach. She texted me last week and asked if I was interested and my daughter (who is friends with her daughter) could come too. We would be paid £5/hr, so initially I thought it would be good experience for the girls so I said yeah. She texted me today and said we have to go into town to get a permit, and I need my passport and a photo (passport size) to use for the permit. And then she says that she and I have to be the "permit holders" with the girls as our employees. I'm hoping this isn't more than I bargained for, with the pay being a bit crap. I only agreed because I thought it sounded like fun. :bawlin: I don't really fancy being in charge of anything for £5/hr. :again?:

5 quid an hour! a paper round would pay more. I'd be insulted if someone offered me that to work.
In fact it would never happen, I tax it you won't be paying tax?

Postby Stooo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Guest wrote:

5 quid an hour! a paper round would pay more. I'd be insulted if someone offered me that to work.

I did a couple of weeks in a burger van in another life and I declared it :dunno:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Nucks » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:14 am

Guest wrote:It's not just £5 ph. You'll have accommodation as well won't you? That could be upwards of £400 a week in summer time near the sea. You could do that if you can get time away from other jobs and have a working holiday.

The girls could earn their bit of spending money and enjoy the rest of the time holidaying.

It's in the town where I already live so there's no accommodation or holidaying involved.
Nucks

Postby Nucks » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:17 am

Guest wrote:5 quid an hour! a paper round would pay more. I'd be insulted if someone offered me that to work.

Seeing as it's les than minimum wage I suppose so. :dunno: I haven't gone into those details with her yet.
Nucks

Postby Nucks » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:21 am

Stooo wrote:
Is it mobile, in the back of a van?

I think it's one of those mobile units, yes.

I suppose I'll do it this summer, see how it goes, and if it's not as fun as I thought it would be I won't bother again.
Nucks

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:39 pm

Ask your daughter what she wants to do. Does she want to go and earn some money this summer or not? I think it would be really good for her. With minimal supervision.

I found my daughter a job on a market after she kept moaning about wanting to earn some money. I told her, and she said. "I wouldn't be caught dead working on a market." Were close but in that instant I knew I'd spoiled her too much.

Needless to say. They'll be no more expensive lipsticks or clothes.

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Has yours been having these mental health classes at school as well?

Mine started saying she was having panic attacks and I asked where she had even heard of them. At school and obviously on programmes she said.

After that she asked me to write a letter for her to get out of class. (A pass). Me being a silly fucker did. Fool me once...

Postby Holly » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 pm

Guest wrote:

I was curious and checked up on the hourly minimum wage in the UK for under 18 ...

Current rates = £4.05 :yikes:

http://www.minimum-wage.co.uk/

So, 5 quid an hour doesn't look too bad
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Fancy teaching mental health to teenagers with raging hormones at a time where they're trying to find their own identity and wanting to. Fit in with their piers.

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:58 pm

Guest wrote:Has yours been having these mental health classes at school as well?

Mine started saying she was having panic attacks and I asked where she had even heard of them. At school and obviously on programmes she said.

After that she asked me to write a letter for her to get out of class. (A pass). Me being a silly fucker did. Fool me once...

Guest wrote:Fancy teaching mental health to teenagers with raging hormones at a time where they're trying to find their own identity and wanting to. Fit in with their piers.

:ooer: :ooer:

Have you two wandered into the wrong thread?
Nucks

Postby Nucks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Guest wrote:Ask your daughter what she wants to do. Does she want to go and earn some money this summer or not? I think it would be really good for her. With minimal supervision.

I found my daughter a job on a market after she kept moaning about wanting to earn some money. I told her, and she said. "I wouldn't be caught dead working on a market." Were close but in that instant I knew I'd spoiled her too much.

Needless to say. They'll be no more expensive lipsticks or clothes.

We were talking about it today, she's definitely up for it. I think it would be good for her, and she likes the idea of earning her own money. She gets a set allowance each month, and she can only spend a certain amount on sweets/soda. She often wants to buy clothes, as do most teen girls I imagine, but it can get costly when they want branded gear like Nike shoes. When she knows she wants something beyond what her allowance will afford, she will often ask me to keep money aside because she knows she'll just spend it. :gigglesnshit: I then add it onto the next month. Of course kids need new clothes occasionally anyway, and she does get that, but she recognises now what is extra and knows I'm not splashing out every month on clothing.
Nucks

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug