I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:27 pm

Stooo wrote:
Holly wrote:I have a next door neighbour who is also a very dear friend. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His last blood test reading said 46,today it read 51 and he was told to urgently change his whole diet, which he seems to find very difficult. He's one of this old school fellas, if you all know what I mean.

I really like to help him by giving him some down to earth advice. He's pretty helpless and hasn't got a clue what to do...Here is the thing...he loves his chocolate, bread, spuds, cheese, fried food and definitely his BEER and Whisky !!! He is aware that he has to cut out chocolate and most sweets.

I told him that bread shouldn't be on the menu on a daily basis either. Anyway, my question is to anyone who might have type 2 diabetes, and who likes the good things in life, but had to adjust without too many OTT sacrifices. He just loves going to the pub...telling him he can't go to the pub anymore for his beers, might as well be like telling him his life is over. :paranoid:

Can anyone please give me some hints which I could pass on??? Something that worked without making huge changes??


I can only really speak about type 1 because of my son but I guess that similar advice works in both conditions.

He's obviously going through a bit of denial at the moment because his life has been turned upside down and he can't do the stuff that he's been doing up until now. It's really important that he keeps in touch with his diabetic team and fights to get that blood sugar down before he starts losing eyes or limbs, it's shit but you need to nag him. Get a diabetic cookbook and try some of the recipes leaving aside a portion for him (the diabetic diet is good for anyone and as much about measurement of ingredients as it is the food itself) and perhaps get him to start going out with you when you walk your dogs. By the sounds of it you're going to have to start with baby steps but you have to start somewhere, good luck! :thumbsup:
Yep generally speaking it's about the balance between carb intake and the amount of insulin required in theory 1 unit for every 10 carbs should be the plan. But of course it's not that easy as other factors come into it such as the persons activity levels for any given day.

And some people have a bit of a nightmare due to dawn phenomenon everyone gets this between 4 am and 8 am or so but obviously with a non-diabetic person their bodies will just adjust on the fly before breakfast.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Stooo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:43 pm

jp761 wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Holly wrote:I have a next door neighbour who is also a very dear friend. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His last blood test reading said 46,today it read 51 and he was told to urgently change his whole diet, which he seems to find very difficult. He's one of this old school fellas, if you all know what I mean.

I really like to help him by giving him some down to earth advice. He's pretty helpless and hasn't got a clue what to do...Here is the thing...he loves his chocolate, bread, spuds, cheese, fried food and definitely his BEER and Whisky !!! He is aware that he has to cut out chocolate and most sweets.

I told him that bread shouldn't be on the menu on a daily basis either. Anyway, my question is to anyone who might have type 2 diabetes, and who likes the good things in life, but had to adjust without too many OTT sacrifices. He just loves going to the pub...telling him he can't go to the pub anymore for his beers, might as well be like telling him his life is over. :paranoid:

Can anyone please give me some hints which I could pass on??? Something that worked without making huge changes??


I can only really speak about type 1 because of my son but I guess that similar advice works in both conditions.

He's obviously going through a bit of denial at the moment because his life has been turned upside down and he can't do the stuff that he's been doing up until now. It's really important that he keeps in touch with his diabetic team and fights to get that blood sugar down before he starts losing eyes or limbs, it's shit but you need to nag him. Get a diabetic cookbook and try some of the recipes leaving aside a portion for him (the diabetic diet is good for anyone and as much about measurement of ingredients as it is the food itself) and perhaps get him to start going out with you when you walk your dogs. By the sounds of it you're going to have to start with baby steps but you have to start somewhere, good luck! :thumbsup:
Yep generally speaking it's about the balance between carb intake and the amount of insulin required in theory 1 unit for every 10 carbs should be the plan. But of course it's not that easy as other factors come into it such as the persons activity levels for any given day.

And some people have a bit of a nightmare due to dawn phenomenon everyone gets this between 4 am and 8 am or so but obviously with a non-diabetic person their bodies will just adjust on the fly before breakfast.


Not really had any early morning dips for years and the glucose pens that they used to give you remained unused and got sent back to the chemist, I keep a six pack of Lucozade in the larder but I usually end up drinking them all :mrgreen:

It's all down to management, I've kept him heads up since he was diagnosed at three and we had to use actual syringes rather than pens and let alone the hourly blood checks. Try explaining why mummy and daddy are repeatingly stabbing you several times a day :ooer:

The diabetic team were brilliant and did many home visits as well as regular hospital appointments and shifted the responsibility mainly over to him over the years. I still know when he's low or high and I still nag him :laughing:
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 75256
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:58 pm

Stooo wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Holly wrote:I have a next door neighbour who is also a very dear friend. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His last blood test reading said 46,today it read 51 and he was told to urgently change his whole diet, which he seems to find very difficult. He's one of this old school fellas, if you all know what I mean.

I really like to help him by giving him some down to earth advice. He's pretty helpless and hasn't got a clue what to do...Here is the thing...he loves his chocolate, bread, spuds, cheese, fried food and definitely his BEER and Whisky !!! He is aware that he has to cut out chocolate and most sweets.

I told him that bread shouldn't be on the menu on a daily basis either. Anyway, my question is to anyone who might have type 2 diabetes, and who likes the good things in life, but had to adjust without too many OTT sacrifices. He just loves going to the pub...telling him he can't go to the pub anymore for his beers, might as well be like telling him his life is over. :paranoid:

Can anyone please give me some hints which I could pass on??? Something that worked without making huge changes??


I can only really speak about type 1 because of my son but I guess that similar advice works in both conditions.

He's obviously going through a bit of denial at the moment because his life has been turned upside down and he can't do the stuff that he's been doing up until now. It's really important that he keeps in touch with his diabetic team and fights to get that blood sugar down before he starts losing eyes or limbs, it's shit but you need to nag him. Get a diabetic cookbook and try some of the recipes leaving aside a portion for him (the diabetic diet is good for anyone and as much about measurement of ingredients as it is the food itself) and perhaps get him to start going out with you when you walk your dogs. By the sounds of it you're going to have to start with baby steps but you have to start somewhere, good luck! :thumbsup:
Yep generally speaking it's about the balance between carb intake and the amount of insulin required in theory 1 unit for every 10 carbs should be the plan. But of course it's not that easy as other factors come into it such as the persons activity levels for any given day.

And some people have a bit of a nightmare due to dawn phenomenon everyone gets this between 4 am and 8 am or so but obviously with a non-diabetic person their bodies will just adjust on the fly before breakfast.


Not really had any early morning dips for years and the glucose pens that they used to give you remained unused and got sent back to the chemist, I keep a six pack of Lucozade in the larder but I usually end up drinking them all :mrgreen:

It's all down to management, I've kept him heads up since he was diagnosed at three and we had to use actual syringes rather than pens and let alone the hourly blood checks. Try explaining why mummy and daddy are repeatingly stabbing you several times a day :ooer:

The diabetic team were brilliant and did many home visits as well as regular hospital appointments and shifted the responsibility mainly over to him over the years. I still know when he's low or high and I still nag him :laughing:
I can imagine it's very tough when they are a child. Personally I've only really known adults who have it and have learned from them also have read a fair bit about diabetes over the years.

Lows can be scary I've seen a few scary hypos before I can understand why some people keep their levels high pretty much on purpose but obviously this isn't good either.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby 4ever2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Stooo wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Holly wrote:I have a next door neighbour who is also a very dear friend. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His last blood test reading said 46,today it read 51 and he was told to urgently change his whole diet, which he seems to find very difficult. He's one of this old school fellas, if you all know what I mean.

I really like to help him by giving him some down to earth advice. He's pretty helpless and hasn't got a clue what to do...Here is the thing...he loves his chocolate, bread, spuds, cheese, fried food and definitely his BEER and Whisky !!! He is aware that he has to cut out chocolate and most sweets.
I told him that bread shouldn't be on the menu on a daily basis either. Anyway, my question is to anyone who might have type 2 diabetes, and who likes the good things in life, but had to adjust without too many OTT sacrifices. He just loves going to the pub...telling him he can't go to the pub anymore for his beers, might as well be like telling him his life is over. :paranoid:
Can anyone please give me some hints which I could pass on??? Something that worked without making huge changes??

I can only really speak about type 1 because of my son but I guess that similar advice works in both conditions.

He's obviously going through a bit of denial at the moment because his life has been turned upside down and he can't do the stuff that he's been doing up until now. It's really important that he keeps in touch with his diabetic team and fights to get that blood sugar down before he starts losing eyes or limbs, it's shit but you need to nag him. Get a diabetic cookbook and try some of the recipes leaving aside a portion for him (the diabetic diet is good for anyone and as much about measurement of ingredients as it is the food itself) and perhaps get him to start going out with you when you walk your dogs. By the sounds of it you're going to have to start with baby steps but you have to start somewhere, good luck! :thumbsup:
Yep generally speaking it's about the balance between carb intake and the amount of insulin required in theory 1 unit for every 10 carbs should be the plan. But of course it's not that easy as other factors come into it such as the persons activity levels for any given day.

And some people have a bit of a nightmare due to dawn phenomenon everyone gets this between 4 am and 8 am or so but obviously with a non-diabetic person their bodies will just adjust on the fly before breakfast.

Not really had any early morning dips for years and the glucose pens that they used to give you remained unused and got sent back to the chemist, I keep a six pack of Lucozade in the larder but I usually end up drinking them all :mrgreen:

It's all down to management, I've kept him heads up since he was diagnosed at three and we had to use actual syringes rather than pens and let alone the hourly blood checks. Try explaining why mummy and daddy are repeatingly stabbing you several times a day :ooer:

The diabetic team were brilliant and did many home visits as well as regular hospital appointments and shifted the responsibility mainly over to him over the years. I still know when he's low or high and I still nag him :laughing:

This is where my knowledge of NHS for England and what our American Medicare/Medicaid and private payer insurance underwriter will pay for as in the 'DIABETES' diagnoses is covered, I just don't know what you get paid for!
Over here - you'll receive a glucose meter - but all of those test strips are out of your pocket to pay for {regardless of what coverage you have} a box of test strips can cost as much as $75.00 for a box of 50 - it pay's not to waste them!
Because the Type of Diabetes 1 or 2 and how your body assimilated the insulin that you are prescribed: age & weight all factor into this as well. So it's really quite a 'Guinea pig' {trail & error} method to find the one specific type of injectable insulin that your own body will absorb and maintain the glucose level ...along with a huge assistance by monitoring the diet too.
What a sad/twisted thing over here in the states has become: the insulin manufacturers deciding to CEASE making that 'ONE SPECIFIC TYPE' of insulin that your body type has become accustomed to using and there are very little glucose coma events and fast peaks & valleys where the user plummets throughout their day! And due to the cost/profit impact ...the manufacturers have been able to just kick those rare type insulin using humans to the curb and tell them - "find another type of insulin because we aren't making that one any more!" And the rounds of trail & error starts all over again! :shake head:

Diabetic Children: I can't imagine being a wee-little one and having to learn how to TRUST A HUMAN about such things as needles and WTF this is and WTF it has to do to me! It would make me cry, I don't know that I could be so brave as I've seen some of those little kids when they had to go through their day!
And as they become active - burning energy during play time - hoping that the day care center - their public school teachers - the attendants/para-professionals know what signs to look for when a glucose coma is starting to hit. :brickwall: So many worry's for being a parent - so many issues and prayers that someone monitor your little one as if they were theirs!

I did find that that long period of sleep from 9pm until 7am, for my neighbor across the street; was her most often time to slip into one of her glucose coma periods. Battling her double lung cancer - her rare form of diabetes - her escalating sugar number drops ...her husband and I devised a plan of action to slip her a little gel frosting {pure sugar} into between her lip & gum if she was asleep or onto her tongue if she was awake at 1am. That plan seemed to ease us through those horrid days of us trying to wake her up out of a coma - getting her up and out to a vehicle and transported to the hospital 35 miles away.
She was 6'2" tall and 450# ...and far more than both of us could manage when she wasn't in her right mind. But it took many a trail & error working this system until we got it down pat.

Does England ever have issues with their Insulin Supplies like I described?
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the SILENCE of our friends." - MLK
"He who passively accepts EVIL is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts EVIL without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." - MLK
User avatar
4ever2
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: Flint Hills of Kansas - Heartland of AMERICA

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Stooo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:48 pm

4ever2 wrote:
Stooo wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Holly wrote:I have a next door neighbour who is also a very dear friend. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His last blood test reading said 46,today it read 51 and he was told to urgently change his whole diet, which he seems to find very difficult. He's one of this old school fellas, if you all know what I mean.

I really like to help him by giving him some down to earth advice. He's pretty helpless and hasn't got a clue what to do...Here is the thing...he loves his chocolate, bread, spuds, cheese, fried food and definitely his BEER and Whisky !!! He is aware that he has to cut out chocolate and most sweets.
I told him that bread shouldn't be on the menu on a daily basis either. Anyway, my question is to anyone who might have type 2 diabetes, and who likes the good things in life, but had to adjust without too many OTT sacrifices. He just loves going to the pub...telling him he can't go to the pub anymore for his beers, might as well be like telling him his life is over. :paranoid:
Can anyone please give me some hints which I could pass on??? Something that worked without making huge changes??

I can only really speak about type 1 because of my son but I guess that similar advice works in both conditions.

He's obviously going through a bit of denial at the moment because his life has been turned upside down and he can't do the stuff that he's been doing up until now. It's really important that he keeps in touch with his diabetic team and fights to get that blood sugar down before he starts losing eyes or limbs, it's shit but you need to nag him. Get a diabetic cookbook and try some of the recipes leaving aside a portion for him (the diabetic diet is good for anyone and as much about measurement of ingredients as it is the food itself) and perhaps get him to start going out with you when you walk your dogs. By the sounds of it you're going to have to start with baby steps but you have to start somewhere, good luck! :thumbsup:
Yep generally speaking it's about the balance between carb intake and the amount of insulin required in theory 1 unit for every 10 carbs should be the plan. But of course it's not that easy as other factors come into it such as the persons activity levels for any given day.

And some people have a bit of a nightmare due to dawn phenomenon everyone gets this between 4 am and 8 am or so but obviously with a non-diabetic person their bodies will just adjust on the fly before breakfast.

Not really had any early morning dips for years and the glucose pens that they used to give you remained unused and got sent back to the chemist, I keep a six pack of Lucozade in the larder but I usually end up drinking them all :mrgreen:

It's all down to management, I've kept him heads up since he was diagnosed at three and we had to use actual syringes rather than pens and let alone the hourly blood checks. Try explaining why mummy and daddy are repeatingly stabbing you several times a day :ooer:

The diabetic team were brilliant and did many home visits as well as regular hospital appointments and shifted the responsibility mainly over to him over the years. I still know when he's low or high and I still nag him :laughing:

This is where my knowledge of NHS for England and what our American Medicare/Medicaid and private payer insurance underwriter will pay for as in the 'DIABETES' diagnoses is covered, I just don't know what you get paid for!
Over here - you'll receive a glucose meter - but all of those test strips are out of your pocket to pay for {regardless of what coverage you have} a box of test strips can cost as much as $75.00 for a box of 50 - it pay's not to waste them!
Because the Type of Diabetes 1 or 2 and how your body assimilated the insulin that you are prescribed: age & weight all factor into this as well. So it's really quite a 'Guinea pig' {trail & error} method to find the one specific type of injectable insulin that your own body will absorb and maintain the glucose level ...along with a huge assistance by monitoring the diet too.
What a sad/twisted thing over here in the states has become: the insulin manufacturers deciding to CEASE making that 'ONE SPECIFIC TYPE' of insulin that your body type has become accustomed to using and there are very little glucose coma events and fast peaks & valleys where the user plummets throughout their day! And due to the cost/profit impact ...the manufacturers have been able to just kick those rare type insulin using humans to the curb and tell them - "find another type of insulin because we aren't making that one any more!" And the rounds of trail & error starts all over again! :shake head:

Diabetic Children: I can't imagine being a wee-little one and having to learn how to TRUST A HUMAN about such things as needles and WTF this is and WTF it has to do to me! It would make me cry, I don't know that I could be so brave as I've seen some of those little kids when they had to go through their day!
And as they become active - burning energy during play time - hoping that the day care center - their public school teachers - the attendants/para-professionals know what signs to look for when a glucose coma is starting to hit. :brickwall: So many worry's for being a parent - so many issues and prayers that someone monitor your little one as if they were theirs!

I did find that that long period of sleep from 9pm until 7am, for my neighbor across the street; was her most often time to slip into one of her glucose coma periods. Battling her double lung cancer - her rare form of diabetes - her escalating sugar number drops ...her husband and I devised a plan of action to slip her a little gel frosting {pure sugar} into between her lip & gum if she was asleep or onto her tongue if she was awake at 1am. That plan seemed to ease us through those horrid days of us trying to wake her up out of a coma - getting her up and out to a vehicle and transported to the hospital 35 miles away.
She was 6'2" tall and 450# ...and far more than both of us could manage when she wasn't in her right mind. But it took many a trail & error working this system until we got it down pat.

Does England ever have issues with their Insulin Supplies like I described?


Type 1 = everything's free, maybe there's a prescription charge ( 8.40 per item) for stuff that's for type 2 patients but I don't know.

Have never had an issue with insulin supplies, JR is on a synthetic hybrid antway.
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 75256
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Yeah not heard of any supply issues I know diabetes costs the NHS a shit load of billions though. This is why the authorities try to jump all over type 2 diabetics and diabetes because generally speaking it is something they brought on themselves through lifestyle.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:58 am

4ever2 wrote:
Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:There probably isn't anything you can tell him that he doesn't already know. I sometimes find an uncaring approach is better than a caring one. I.e. A bollocking and some tough words and facts on where it will lead too if he doesn't decide to take better care of himself, and make it clear if he doesn't care about his his own health then why should you care about his health.
He can still have a drink so long as he has eaten.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-t ... -with.aspx

LOL, it's interesting that you say that...I tried to give him advise over the phone today, after he got home from the doc and told me about his results... I said... for God sake, cut that bread out you eat 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desert...his responds was yeah, yeah, what ever... not gonna happen, I can't stop eating now, can I ?...So I said, do what ever you like then, I'm sure you know best, talk tomorrow...and I hung up :roll:

:dunno: And that's exactly the full blown foundation for WHY SO MANY with diabetes die from continued health complications - ie = they just refuse to take control of their own eating disorder and do some basic exercises to improve &/or maintain what they have. And they will continue to have huge failures: eye sights/major organ issues/extremities go numb from both lack of blood flow & nerve damage!
And heaven help them that they get any wound/stub a toe-open sore and it never heals and then gangrene sets in. Off goes those toes that won't heal - off goes the foot that won't heal - off goes his only good leg goes now the gangrene has turned into MRSA and if they don't take his leg the blood infection will just continue to spread.
I've taken care of far to many ole' curmudgeons that just were far too set in their ways and know every excuse - every whiny assed reason that they've used for; 'it ain't live'n if I can't eat & drink what I want too!' ...so they do and they suffer horribly for those lame/lazy excuses and it's the people around them and the immediate family that suffer right along with them!
Right now, all he wants is a smile & a warm 'gee have a nice day'; he's an adult - he has all of the mental capabilities to make those rational choices - he's got 1 good leg and has been using his artificial leg to get around he could get out and get to a gym and work what muscle sets he could use - but he wants to whine - he wants a comforting ear - and he wants someone to just give him the 'GOLDEN SEAL' stamp on his happy arse - 'YOU DERSERVE TO EAT & DRINK' whatever you want! But sadly for him, that's like pouring diesel fuel into a standard fueled engine ...it will kill him and his life expectancy, it is going to be hellish and shortened by many years; with those lame/lazy nutrition habits that ONLY HE could change! :shake head:


Thanks for your input, your advice is bang on for a slightly younger generation...I also forgot to mention that my neighbour is 77 years old and uses a mobility scooter...he looks good for his age and is reasonably fit, but he does need help, that's what I am doing, I do his shopping and help him around the house. He became a very good friend. So, the gym is obviously out. I think he managed well so far to make it to 77. Other than the missing leg, he never had any health problems, so he was very surprised to get that blood test back the other day....Yes, he is a bit worried that he has to make changes so late in life, he is a widower,therefore he goes to the pub for some company.

If I can come up with some easy, health meal ideas, which he can prepare himself, it's a good start. I spoke to him today and he has now accepted the fact that he does need to make changes.
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2641
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 am

bella.vita wrote:My father has diabetes and he's stubborn, also. he has made some changes but he is still very stubborn in other areas and it is infuriating because he thinks he knows more than a doctor.

Diabetics can still eat certain foods, but in moderation, and eating a balanced diet. This is a useful link because it talks about some of the tips one should avoid.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/foo ... s-to-avoid

http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/managi ... rst-foods/


There are lots of things on the internet, however, he has to want to make those changes, if he is stubborn then all the advice in the world won't help.


Thanks for that, I actually came across your first link today myself, when I did some research :smilin: ...and yes, it does give good recommendations.
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2641
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Holly » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:12 am

Stooo wrote:
Holly wrote:I have a next door neighbour who is also a very dear friend. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His last blood test reading said 46,today it read 51 and he was told to urgently change his whole diet, which he seems to find very difficult. He's one of this old school fellas, if you all know what I mean.

I really like to help him by giving him some down to earth advice. He's pretty helpless and hasn't got a clue what to do...Here is the thing...he loves his chocolate, bread, spuds, cheese, fried food and definitely his BEER and Whisky !!! He is aware that he has to cut out chocolate and most sweets.

I told him that bread shouldn't be on the menu on a daily basis either. Anyway, my question is to anyone who might have type 2 diabetes, and who likes the good things in life, but had to adjust without too many OTT sacrifices. He just loves going to the pub...telling him he can't go to the pub anymore for his beers, might as well be like telling him his life is over. :paranoid:

Can anyone please give me some hints which I could pass on??? Something that worked without making huge changes??


I can only really speak about type 1 because of my son but I guess that similar advice works in both conditions.

He's obviously going through a bit of denial at the moment because his life has been turned upside down and he can't do the stuff that he's been doing up until now. It's really important that he keeps in touch with his diabetic team and fights to get that blood sugar down before he starts losing eyes or limbs, it's shit but you need to nag him. Get a diabetic cookbook and try some of the recipes leaving aside a portion for him (the diabetic diet is good for anyone and as much about measurement of ingredients as it is the food itself) and perhaps get him to start going out with you when you walk your dogs. By the sounds of it you're going to have to start with baby steps but you have to start somewhere, good luck! :thumbsup:



Thanks Stooo, yes you are right, he has to start with baby steps....Well, I learned something today, which will also help him a great deal . I learned that 4 grams of sugar = 1 teaspoon. This will make it easy to understand how much sugar there is in every product he buys. I looked at a can of cider today, it said 28g of sugar...he drinks at least 3 cans of that stuff in one go :thud:
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2641
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby 4ever2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Holly wrote:
4ever2 wrote:
Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:There probably isn't anything you can tell him that he doesn't already know. I sometimes find an uncaring approach is better than a caring one. I.e. A bollocking and some tough words and facts on where it will lead too if he doesn't decide to take better care of himself, and make it clear if he doesn't care about his his own health then why should you care about his health.
He can still have a drink so long as he has eaten.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-t ... -with.aspx

LOL, it's interesting that you say that...I tried to give him advise over the phone today, after he got home from the doc and told me about his results... I said... for God sake, cut that bread out you eat 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desert...his responds was yeah, yeah, what ever... not gonna happen, I can't stop eating now, can I ?...So I said, do what ever you like then, I'm sure you know best, talk tomorrow...and I hung up :roll:

:dunno: And that's exactly the full blown foundation for WHY SO MANY with diabetes die from continued health complications - ie = they just refuse to take control of their own eating disorder and do some basic exercises to improve &/or maintain what they have. And they will continue to have huge failures: eye sights/major organ issues/extremities go numb from both lack of blood flow & nerve damage!
And heaven help them that they get any wound/stub a toe-open sore and it never heals and then gangrene sets in. Off goes those toes that won't heal - off goes the foot that won't heal - off goes his only good leg goes now the gangrene has turned into MRSA and if they don't take his leg the blood infection will just continue to spread.
I've taken care of far to many ole' curmudgeons that just were far too set in their ways and know every excuse - every whiny assed reason that they've used for; 'it ain't live'n if I can't eat & drink what I want too!' ...so they do and they suffer horribly for those lame/lazy excuses and it's the people around them and the immediate family that suffer right along with them!
Right now, all he wants is a smile & a warm 'gee have a nice day'; he's an adult - he has all of the mental capabilities to make those rational choices - he's got 1 good leg and has been using his artificial leg to get around he could get out and get to a gym and work what muscle sets he could use - but he wants to whine - he wants a comforting ear - and he wants someone to just give him the 'GOLDEN SEAL' stamp on his happy arse - 'YOU DERSERVE TO EAT & DRINK' whatever you want! But sadly for him, that's like pouring diesel fuel into a standard fueled engine ...it will kill him and his life expectancy, it is going to be hellish and shortened by many years; with those lame/lazy nutrition habits that ONLY HE could change! :shake head:


Thanks for your input, your advice is bang on for a slightly younger generation...I also forgot to mention that my neighbour is 77 years old and uses a mobility scooter...he looks good for his age and is reasonably fit, but he does need help, that's what I am doing, I do his shopping and help him around the house. He became a very good friend. So, the gym is obviously out. I think he managed well so far to make it to 77. Other than the missing leg, he never had any health problems, so he was very surprised to get that blood test back the other day....Yes, he is a bit worried that he has to make changes so late in life, he is a widower,therefore he goes to the pub for some company.

If I can come up with some easy, health meal ideas, which he can prepare himself, it's a good start. I spoke to him today and he has now accepted the fact that he does need to make changes.

I was guessing that this guy was in his mid 60's or older, so I wasn't far off that mark. But if he's relying on his mobility chair 100% then allowing his 'I have to feed my need' to dictate his NOW need to change. His future is going to be diminished greatly and rapidly and then he'll be just 'DEAD WEIGHT' to move/transfer from bed to bathroom - from bathroom to chair - from point A - B and if he's not going to put in the work {aka exercise} to whom is he expecting to come in and assist in his transferring?
Have you ever lifted/transferred anyone with mobility issues '?', do you know how fast that can do great harm to your own back & shoulders if you don't know how to lift them properly - or the harm you can do to them while trying to transfer that dead weight from one position to another! I hate to be the 'VOICE OF DOOM' but I've been called in to care for family members after the care giver failed and ended up in worse shape then the patient was due to the family member NOT KNOWING how dangerous the scenario can change if someone slips.
The dear old curmudgeon has to start doing some serious home stretching exercises; his immediate need to work up a sweat - even a light sweat - moving muscles - trying to keeping toned and maintaining his core will enable him to survive longer in his home SAFELY.
But if he wants to just take the 'EASY' road then he's headed to the SPEEDY ROAD to a nursing home and his freedom/independent lifestyle will be sacrificed due to his lazy attitude. Being in his mid 70's is just a COP OUT - being a amputee is an added excuse for a COP OUT; the massive number of returning wounded from Iraq & Afghanistan has improved the Physical Therapy methods for amputee work out routines. Is his NEED to be independent worth doing a few specific exercises ??? is his NEED to be in his home worth doing some sweat equity and using muscles before they atrophy anymore than they already have - is his need to enjoy that pint or 2 of his brew worth putting in a 30 minute stretching routine to sweat off the excess sugars out of his body???
We have a Sr. Center Nutrition system here in America where the 'MEALS' are available to be delivered to the home if the Sr. doesn't want to come in for the luncheon ...and there is a menu specifically designed just for diabetes Sr. too. Do they have something like this offered in his area? It's used as the MAIN MEAL NUTRITION for the Senior daily meal plan, so it's substantially a good serving portion that many men find filling. This cost is based on $$ donation funds - so it's not a set fee for the elderly, it does have 'SOME' Gov. funding to sustain our nutrition program, but not much!
That would at least free you up from coming up with a menu for him for one meal a day ...and finding other simplified options for him for other choices. Quite often when Seniors reach that age they are quite satisfied with only 2 meals a day and a light snack for the evening meal to be used for night time meds.
Don't mean to sound like a COME TO JESUS LECTURE at you Holly, but I'm fearful for those good intentioned humans that take on such strenuous/labor intensive/volunteer type jobs and don't know the hazards that they'll face while doing that.
There are simplified elderly exercise plans that can be printed up: for a wide range of mobility able humans and amputee type humans too.
Just sharing the wealth of my many years of doing this for loads of elderly and handicapped humans, and thankful for those that shared their knowledge with me ~~~ paying it forward.
Image
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the SILENCE of our friends." - MLK
"He who passively accepts EVIL is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts EVIL without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." - MLK
User avatar
4ever2
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: Flint Hills of Kansas - Heartland of AMERICA

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:25 pm

4ever2 wrote:
Holly wrote:
4ever2 wrote:
Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:There probably isn't anything you can tell him that he doesn't already know. I sometimes find an uncaring approach is better than a caring one. I.e. A bollocking and some tough words and facts on where it will lead too if he doesn't decide to take better care of himself, and make it clear if he doesn't care about his his own health then why should you care about his health.
He can still have a drink so long as he has eaten.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-t ... -with.aspx

LOL, it's interesting that you say that...I tried to give him advise over the phone today, after he got home from the doc and told me about his results... I said... for God sake, cut that bread out you eat 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desert...his responds was yeah, yeah, what ever... not gonna happen, I can't stop eating now, can I ?...So I said, do what ever you like then, I'm sure you know best, talk tomorrow...and I hung up :roll:

:dunno: And that's exactly the full blown foundation for WHY SO MANY with diabetes die from continued health complications - ie = they just refuse to take control of their own eating disorder and do some basic exercises to improve &/or maintain what they have. And they will continue to have huge failures: eye sights/major organ issues/extremities go numb from both lack of blood flow & nerve damage!
And heaven help them that they get any wound/stub a toe-open sore and it never heals and then gangrene sets in. Off goes those toes that won't heal - off goes the foot that won't heal - off goes his only good leg goes now the gangrene has turned into MRSA and if they don't take his leg the blood infection will just continue to spread.
I've taken care of far to many ole' curmudgeons that just were far too set in their ways and know every excuse - every whiny assed reason that they've used for; 'it ain't live'n if I can't eat & drink what I want too!' ...so they do and they suffer horribly for those lame/lazy excuses and it's the people around them and the immediate family that suffer right along with them!
Right now, all he wants is a smile & a warm 'gee have a nice day'; he's an adult - he has all of the mental capabilities to make those rational choices - he's got 1 good leg and has been using his artificial leg to get around he could get out and get to a gym and work what muscle sets he could use - but he wants to whine - he wants a comforting ear - and he wants someone to just give him the 'GOLDEN SEAL' stamp on his happy arse - 'YOU DERSERVE TO EAT & DRINK' whatever you want! But sadly for him, that's like pouring diesel fuel into a standard fueled engine ...it will kill him and his life expectancy, it is going to be hellish and shortened by many years; with those lame/lazy nutrition habits that ONLY HE could change! :shake head:


Thanks for your input, your advice is bang on for a slightly younger generation...I also forgot to mention that my neighbour is 77 years old and uses a mobility scooter...he looks good for his age and is reasonably fit, but he does need help, that's what I am doing, I do his shopping and help him around the house. He became a very good friend. So, the gym is obviously out. I think he managed well so far to make it to 77. Other than the missing leg, he never had any health problems, so he was very surprised to get that blood test back the other day....Yes, he is a bit worried that he has to make changes so late in life, he is a widower,therefore he goes to the pub for some company.

If I can come up with some easy, health meal ideas, which he can prepare himself, it's a good start. I spoke to him today and he has now accepted the fact that he does need to make changes.

I was guessing that this guy was in his mid 60's or older, so I wasn't far off that mark. But if he's relying on his mobility chair 100% then allowing his 'I have to feed my need' to dictate his NOW need to change. His future is going to be diminished greatly and rapidly and then he'll be just 'DEAD WEIGHT' to move/transfer from bed to bathroom - from bathroom to chair - from point A - B and if he's not going to put in the work {aka exercise} to whom is he expecting to come in and assist in his transferring?
Have you ever lifted/transferred anyone with mobility issues '?', do you know how fast that can do great harm to your own back & shoulders if you don't know how to lift them properly - or the harm you can do to them while trying to transfer that dead weight from one position to another! I hate to be the 'VOICE OF DOOM' but I've been called in to care for family members after the care giver failed and ended up in worse shape then the patient was due to the family member NOT KNOWING how dangerous the scenario can change if someone slips.
The dear old curmudgeon has to start doing some serious home stretching exercises; his immediate need to work up a sweat - even a light sweat - moving muscles - trying to keeping toned and maintaining his core will enable him to survive longer in his home SAFELY.
But if he wants to just take the 'EASY' road then he's headed to the SPEEDY ROAD to a nursing home and his freedom/independent lifestyle will be sacrificed due to his lazy attitude. Being in his mid 70's is just a COP OUT - being a amputee is an added excuse for a COP OUT; the massive number of returning wounded from Iraq & Afghanistan has improved the Physical Therapy methods for amputee work out routines. Is his NEED to be independent worth doing a few specific exercises ??? is his NEED to be in his home worth doing some sweat equity and using muscles before they atrophy anymore than they already have - is his need to enjoy that pint or 2 of his brew worth putting in a 30 minute stretching routine to sweat off the excess sugars out of his body???
We have a Sr. Center Nutrition system here in America where the 'MEALS' are available to be delivered to the home if the Sr. doesn't want to come in for the luncheon ...and there is a menu specifically designed just for diabetes Sr. too. Do they have something like this offered in his area? It's used as the MAIN MEAL NUTRITION for the Senior daily meal plan, so it's substantially a good serving portion that many men find filling. This cost is based on $$ donation funds - so it's not a set fee for the elderly, it does have 'SOME' Gov. funding to sustain our nutrition program, but not much!
That would at least free you up from coming up with a menu for him for one meal a day ...and finding other simplified options for him for other choices. Quite often when Seniors reach that age they are quite satisfied with only 2 meals a day and a light snack for the evening meal to be used for night time meds.
Don't mean to sound like a COME TO JESUS LECTURE at you Holly, but I'm fearful for those good intentioned humans that take on such strenuous/labor intensive/volunteer type jobs and don't know the hazards that they'll face while doing that.
There are simplified elderly exercise plans that can be printed up: for a wide range of mobility able humans and amputee type humans too.
Just sharing the wealth of my many years of doing this for loads of elderly and handicapped humans, and thankful for those that shared their knowledge with me ~~~ paying it forward.
Image
Spot on about transferring/lifting anyone with mobility issues it's not easy. Physiotherapists are your best bet among other thing's they can at least learn a friend or family member some of the basics when it comes to lifting and transferring people.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:46 pm

My youngest was diagnosed type1, two years ago at the age of 6.
He has the pump which injects the insulin as needed. We imput his carb intake for each meal and the computer works out he dose. We also have a monitor called dexacon which reads his sugar levels and when combined with the pump. Gives an accurate readout of his levels, so less need to prick his fingers for blood tests.
At night should he drop below 80, ( he should be between 80-150) an alarm sounds on the dexacon and we test him and give him a glucose tablet. In general though he is no different than any other child his age. He loves his sports and the park. If he's going to be active we let him have orange juice and he burns it off.
We got a nurse for the school for him plus had the para. But got rid of her as she really didn't do anything.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 pm

Guest wrote:My youngest was diagnosed type1, two years ago at the age of 6.
He has the pump which injects the insulin as needed. We imput his carb intake for each meal and the computer works out he dose. We also have a monitor called dexacon which reads his sugar levels and when combined with the pump. Gives an accurate readout of his levels, so less need to prick his fingers for blood tests.
At night should he drop below 80, ( he should be between 80-150) an alarm sounds on the dexacon and we test him and give him a glucose tablet. In general though he is no different than any other child his age. He loves his sports and the park. If he's going to be active we let him have orange juice and he burns it off.
We got a nurse for the school for him plus had the para. But got rid of her as she really didn't do anything.
I'm glad your child has the pump and the monitor they tend to give the best equipment to children though which is understandable.

I know middle ages adults who can't get this equipment one of the reasons is that adults activity levels and eating habits tend to be more consistent than young children.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 pm

That's middle 'aged' adults obviously lol Contending with silly guests elsewhere and posting in this thread and watching the footy is quite difficult for mere men haha :laughing:
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 2367
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby creamcheese » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm having the same trouble with my mum, she has cancer which is operable but they've told her to lose some weight first as her BP is sky high and she's borderline diabetic both of which could be sorted with diet and exercise. She's a good 6st overweight and as she's only just over 5ft that makes her morbidly obese. I spent hours on websites finding out which foods help lower BP and what to avoid etc. I met her for lunch yesterday, trying to be supportive I ordered a tuna salad thinking she'd go for something similar but no she opted for an all day breakfast and it was a big one, all that salty bacon when I'd already told her that all that salt is bad for her bp. She's only 72, I don't want to lose her but how do you make someone change their lifestyle? I've printed off sheets of really good foods to eat and recipes but I know they're getting ignored in favour of the foods she's used to. Two months after the doc told her to lose weight she's the same weight, she could have lost a couple of stone by now which would have helped with her BP and made the op safer. I'm at my wits end, I don't want to upset her and be horrible but I am one step away from saying ffs you're going to die if you don't change.
User avatar
creamcheese
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 7:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests