I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Holly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 am

I have a next door neighbour who is also a very dear friend. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His last blood test reading said 46,today it read 51 and he was told to urgently change his whole diet, which he seems to find very difficult. He's one of this old school fellas, if you all know what I mean.

I really like to help him by giving him some down to earth advice. He's pretty helpless and hasn't got a clue what to do...Here is the thing...he loves his chocolate, bread, spuds, cheese, fried food and definitely his BEER and Whisky !!! He is aware that he has to cut out chocolate and most sweets.

I told him that bread shouldn't be on the menu on a daily basis either. Anyway, my question is to anyone who might have type 2 diabetes, and who likes the good things in life, but had to adjust without too many OTT sacrifices. He just loves going to the pub...telling him he can't go to the pub anymore for his beers, might as well be like telling him his life is over. :paranoid:

Can anyone please give me some hints which I could pass on??? Something that worked without making huge changes??
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby 4ever2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:39 am

As the baby boomer generation ages this has become a growing health issue, and sadly the #1 thing that would change his (all the sugar issues) is the lack of walking - getting up off our arses and just moving. Buy a decent pair of great walking shoes and get outside and go for a stroll. Even if it's just up and down his street - around the block - once in the morning and again after lunch - move and keep moving! That alone will help regulate his own bodies sugar absorption and keep his blood pressure in proper range as well. Modifications in his diet don't have to be drastic - but they need too be made if he wishes to avoid major organ failure and still enjoy his occasional brew.
Here's a very good link >
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/new ... e-diabetes
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the SILENCE of our friends." - MLK
"He who passively accepts EVIL is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts EVIL without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." - MLK
User avatar
4ever2
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:09 pm
Location: Flint Hills of Kansas - Heartland of AMERICA

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:54 am

There probably isn't anything you can tell him that he doesn't already know. I sometimes find an uncaring approach is better than a caring one. I.e. A bollocking and some tough words and facts on where it will lead too if he doesn't decide to take better care of himself, and make it clear if he doesn't care about his his own health then why should you care about his health.

He can still have a drink so long as he has eaten.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-t ... -with.aspx
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Holly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:06 am

Guest wrote:There probably isn't anything you can tell him that he doesn't already know. I sometimes find an uncaring approach is better than a caring one. I.e. A bollocking and some tough words and facts on where it will lead too if he doesn't decide to take better care of himself, and make it clear if he doesn't care about his his own health then why should you care about his health.

He can still have a drink so long as he has eaten.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-t ... -with.aspx



LOL, it's interesting that you say that...I tried to give him advise over the phone today, after he got home from the doc and told me about his results... I said... for God sake, cut that bread out you eat 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desert...his responds was yeah, yeah, what ever... not gonna happen, I can't stop eating now, can I ?...So I said, do what ever you like then, I'm sure you know best, talk tomorrow...and I hung up :roll:
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Holly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:12 am

4ever2 wrote:As the baby boomer generation ages this has become a growing health issue, and sadly the #1 thing that would change his (all the sugar issues) is the lack of walking - getting up off our arses and just moving. Buy a decent pair of great walking shoes and get outside and go for a stroll. Even if it's just up and down his street - around the block - once in the morning and again after lunch - move and keep moving! That alone will help regulate his own bodies sugar absorption and keep his blood pressure in proper range as well. Modifications in his diet don't have to be drastic - but they need too be made if he wishes to avoid major organ failure and still enjoy his occasional brew.
Here's a very good link >
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/new ... e-diabetes



I totally agree with you...however, I forgot to mention, my friend had an accident with a bulldozer many years ago and has a full ( top to bottom ) artificial leg, so...exerciser is a little bit tough for him, he isn't, and never has been a great one for exercise anyway. For him it's mainly diet that can help him.
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby guest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:55 pm

Chocolate and sweets need to go. That's a definite. If he has bread with every meal then yes it has to be cut down on. Maybe just toast in the morning, with low fat spread, marmite or peanut butter occasionally. No jam! You can get sugar reduced jam and marmalade if he can't live without it but even so it's not for every day. Sweetener in hot drinks instead of sugar and porridge instead of sugary breakfast cereal. He needs a diet sheet for diabetics from his GP which will have it all typed out for him.
User avatar
guest
 

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Holly » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:03 pm

guest wrote:Chocolate and sweets need to go. That's a definite. If he has bread with every meal then yes it has to be cut down on. Maybe just toast in the morning, with low fat spread, marmite or peanut butter occasionally. No jam! You can get sugar reduced jam and marmalade if he can't live without it but even so it's not for every day. Sweetener in hot drinks instead of sugar and porridge instead of sugary breakfast cereal. He needs a diet sheet for diabetics from his GP which will have it all typed out for him.



Thanks for that...interesting but it was the first thing his nurse said to him...substitute honey and jam, for marmite or peanut butter. They did give him a lot of stuff to read, so lets hope he will take note and read the damn thing. ..my guess is, he will read some of it, and then say, stuff that, can't be arsed ...that's why I asked for some help, it's easier telling him what to do, then expect him to read up on it :roll:
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3347
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:31 pm

Holly wrote:
4ever2 wrote:As the baby boomer generation ages this has become a growing health issue, and sadly the #1 thing that would change his (all the sugar issues) is the lack of walking - getting up off our arses and just moving. Buy a decent pair of great walking shoes and get outside and go for a stroll. Even if it's just up and down his street - around the block - once in the morning and again after lunch - move and keep moving! That alone will help regulate his own bodies sugar absorption and keep his blood pressure in proper range as well. Modifications in his diet don't have to be drastic - but they need too be made if he wishes to avoid major organ failure and still enjoy his occasional brew.
Here's a very good link >
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/new ... e-diabetes



I totally agree with you...however, I forgot to mention, my friend had an accident with a bulldozer many years ago and has a full ( top to bottom ) artificial leg, so...exerciser is a little bit tough for him, he isn't, and never has been a great one for exercise anyway. For him it's mainly diet that can help him.


Ask him if he wants to loose the other leg Holly. Because that could certainly happen if he doesn't buck his ideas up. There are lots of people with one leg who still try and make themselves do things. Even more so because they know they're at a disadvantage.

This is from the DM. I haven't read it but I know it's true because I know people who have had legs amputated from it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ously.html
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby 4ever2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Holly wrote:
Guest wrote:There probably isn't anything you can tell him that he doesn't already know. I sometimes find an uncaring approach is better than a caring one. I.e. A bollocking and some tough words and facts on where it will lead too if he doesn't decide to take better care of himself, and make it clear if he doesn't care about his his own health then why should you care about his health.
He can still have a drink so long as he has eaten.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetes-t ... -with.aspx

LOL, it's interesting that you say that...I tried to give him advise over the phone today, after he got home from the doc and told me about his results... I said... for God sake, cut that bread out you eat 7 days a week for breakfast, lunch, dinner and desert...his responds was yeah, yeah, what ever... not gonna happen, I can't stop eating now, can I ?...So I said, do what ever you like then, I'm sure you know best, talk tomorrow...and I hung up :roll:

:dunno: And that's exactly the full blown foundation for WHY SO MANY with diabetes die from continued health complications - ie = they just refuse to take control of their own eating disorder and do some basic exercises to improve &/or maintain what they have. And they will continue to have huge failures: eye sights/major organ issues/extremities go numb from both lack of blood flow & nerve damage!
And heaven help them that they get any wound/stub a toe-open sore and it never heals and then gangrene sets in. Off goes those toes that won't heal - off goes the foot that won't heal - off goes his only good leg goes now the gangrene has turned into MRSA and if they don't take his leg the blood infection will just continue to spread.
I've taken care of far to many ole' curmudgeons that just were far too set in their ways and know every excuse - every whiny assed reason that they've used for; 'it ain't live'n if I can't eat & drink what I want too!' ...so they do and they suffer horribly for those lame/lazy excuses and it's the people around them and the immediate family that suffer right along with them!
Right now, all he wants is a smile & a warm 'gee have a nice day'; he's an adult - he has all of the mental capabilities to make those rational choices - he's got 1 good leg and has been using his artificial leg to get around he could get out and get to a gym and work what muscle sets he could use - but he wants to whine - he wants a comforting ear - and he wants someone to just give him the 'GOLDEN SEAL' stamp on his happy arse - 'YOU DERSERVE TO EAT & DRINK' whatever you want! But sadly for him, that's like pouring diesel fuel into a standard fueled engine ...it will kill him and his life expectancy, it is going to be hellish and shortened by many years; with those lame/lazy nutrition habits that ONLY HE could change! :shake head:
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the SILENCE of our friends." - MLK
"He who passively accepts EVIL is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts EVIL without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." - MLK
User avatar
4ever2
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:09 pm
Location: Flint Hills of Kansas - Heartland of AMERICA

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Obviously you can't make anyone do anything that they don't want to do you can advise once or twice and that's it.

People should know if their blood sugars are high on a regular basis complications will turn up sooner or later but if someone just wants to take their chances then there is nothing more you can do.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby bella.vita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:28 pm

My father has diabetes and he's stubborn, also. he has made some changes but he is still very stubborn in other areas and it is infuriating because he thinks he knows more than a doctor.

Diabetics can still eat certain foods, but in moderation, and eating a balanced diet. This is a useful link because it talks about some of the tips one should avoid.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/foo ... s-to-avoid

http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/managi ... rst-foods/


There are lots of things on the internet, however, he has to want to make those changes, if he is stubborn then all the advice in the world won't help.
bella.vita
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:38 pm

bella.vita wrote:My father has diabetes and he's stubborn, also. he has made some changes but he is still very stubborn in other areas and it is infuriating because he thinks he knows more than a doctor.

Diabetics can still eat certain foods, but in moderation, and eating a balanced diet. This is a useful link because it talks about some of the tips one should avoid.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/foo ... s-to-avoid

http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/managi ... rst-foods/


There are lots of things on the internet, however, he has to want to make those changes, if he is stubborn then all the advice in the world won't help.
To be fair you Dad just sounds like a typical male as Tina would say :laughing: When it comes to health we are generally stubborn beasts!

:laughing:
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby bella.vita » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:56 pm

jp761 wrote:
bella.vita wrote:My father has diabetes and he's stubborn, also. he has made some changes but he is still very stubborn in other areas and it is infuriating because he thinks he knows more than a doctor.

Diabetics can still eat certain foods, but in moderation, and eating a balanced diet. This is a useful link because it talks about some of the tips one should avoid.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/foo ... s-to-avoid

http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/managi ... rst-foods/


There are lots of things on the internet, however, he has to want to make those changes, if he is stubborn then all the advice in the world won't help.
To be fair you Dad just sounds like a typical male as Tina would say :laughing: When it comes to health we are generally stubborn beasts!

:laughing:


Yes, but there's stubborn and then claiming the medical people are wrong...that's beyond stubborn! :laughing:
bella.vita
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:09 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:05 pm

bella.vita wrote:
jp761 wrote:
bella.vita wrote:My father has diabetes and he's stubborn, also. he has made some changes but he is still very stubborn in other areas and it is infuriating because he thinks he knows more than a doctor.

Diabetics can still eat certain foods, but in moderation, and eating a balanced diet. This is a useful link because it talks about some of the tips one should avoid.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/foo ... s-to-avoid

http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/managi ... rst-foods/


There are lots of things on the internet, however, he has to want to make those changes, if he is stubborn then all the advice in the world won't help.
To be fair you Dad just sounds like a typical male as Tina would say :laughing: When it comes to health we are generally stubborn beasts!

:laughing:


Yes, but there's stubborn and then claiming the medical people are wrong...that's beyond stubborn! :laughing:
True. But it can be surprising how often medical people come out with conflicting opinions.

IF your Father sees a few different people sometimes thing's can get a tad confusing diabetes can be highly complicated, digestion is one of the most complicated processes in the entire human body.
User avatar
jp761
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: I really need some sincere help re diabetes

Postby Stooo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Holly wrote:I have a next door neighbour who is also a very dear friend. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. His last blood test reading said 46,today it read 51 and he was told to urgently change his whole diet, which he seems to find very difficult. He's one of this old school fellas, if you all know what I mean.

I really like to help him by giving him some down to earth advice. He's pretty helpless and hasn't got a clue what to do...Here is the thing...he loves his chocolate, bread, spuds, cheese, fried food and definitely his BEER and Whisky !!! He is aware that he has to cut out chocolate and most sweets.

I told him that bread shouldn't be on the menu on a daily basis either. Anyway, my question is to anyone who might have type 2 diabetes, and who likes the good things in life, but had to adjust without too many OTT sacrifices. He just loves going to the pub...telling him he can't go to the pub anymore for his beers, might as well be like telling him his life is over. :paranoid:

Can anyone please give me some hints which I could pass on??? Something that worked without making huge changes??


I can only really speak about type 1 because of my son but I guess that similar advice works in both conditions.

He's obviously going through a bit of denial at the moment because his life has been turned upside down and he can't do the stuff that he's been doing up until now. It's really important that he keeps in touch with his diabetic team and fights to get that blood sugar down before he starts losing eyes or limbs, it's shit but you need to nag him. Get a diabetic cookbook and try some of the recipes leaving aside a portion for him (the diabetic diet is good for anyone and as much about measurement of ingredients as it is the food itself) and perhaps get him to start going out with you when you walk your dogs. By the sounds of it you're going to have to start with baby steps but you have to start somewhere, good luck! :thumbsup:
User avatar
Stooo
Site Admin
 
Posts: 76993
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:24 am
Location: Eveywhere, like shit in a field.

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests