Holidays and travel.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby jra » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:11 am

Wilson wrote:
jra wrote:
Wilson wrote:Booked a week in Devon for just after Christmas. It's not Thailand but I'm excited. :smilin: It'll be nice being away for New Year.


Where?


Westward Ho!
First I've heard of it. Apparently it's the only name of a place that has an exclamation mark. I'm enjoying calling it "The Ho!"


Try and get to Braunton Burrows (sand dunes) and if you're feeling a bit more adventurous go to Hartland Point, including walking along the south west coast path in that area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Devon_Coast

Further afield you've got the coastal path between Ifracombe and Lynton/Lynmouth (north Exmoor coast with spectacular scenery) and if you're feeling really adventurous, Salcombe and Dartmouth are must sees, but it's quite a long drive from north Devon.

If you do go to south Devon I have extensive knowledge of the coastal area between Plymouth and Dartmouth.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13128
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby Wilson » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:18 am

jra wrote:
Wilson wrote:
jra wrote:
Wilson wrote:Booked a week in Devon for just after Christmas. It's not Thailand but I'm excited. :smilin: It'll be nice being away for New Year.


Where?


Westward Ho!
First I've heard of it. Apparently it's the only name of a place that has an exclamation mark. I'm enjoying calling it "The Ho!"


Try and get to Braunton Burrows (sand dunes) and if you're feeling a bit more adventurous go to Hartland Point, including walking along the south west coast path in that area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Devon_Coast

Further afield you've got the coastal path between Ifracombe and Lynton/Lynmouth (north Exmoor coast with spectacular scenery) and if you're feeling really adventurous, Salcombe and Dartmouth are must sees, but it's quite a long drive from north Devon.

If you do go to south Devon I have extensive knowledge of the coastal area between Plymouth and Dartmouth.


That's really helpful. Thank you :smilin:
User avatar
Wilson
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby jra » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Wilson wrote:
jra wrote:
Wilson wrote:
jra wrote:
Wilson wrote:Booked a week in Devon for just after Christmas. It's not Thailand but I'm excited. :smilin: It'll be nice being away for New Year.


Where?


Westward Ho!
First I've heard of it. Apparently it's the only name of a place that has an exclamation mark. I'm enjoying calling it "The Ho!"


Try and get to Braunton Burrows (sand dunes) and if you're feeling a bit more adventurous go to Hartland Point, including walking along the south west coast path in that area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Devon_Coast

Further afield you've got the coastal path between Ifracombe and Lynton/Lynmouth (north Exmoor coast with spectacular scenery) and if you're feeling really adventurous, Salcombe and Dartmouth are must sees, but it's quite a long drive from north Devon.

If you do go to south Devon I have extensive knowledge of the coastal area between Plymouth and Dartmouth.


That's really helpful. Thank you :smilin:


A little taster of Salcombe.

Salcombe Week 2014 (Merlin Rocket) - Day 5, Race 9 Start - from Steadidrone Quadcopter

phpBB [video]


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7EQefv8Cak

In this video you can see the disused slipway at Millbay beach/sands, Smalls cove, Fisherman's cove, the ferry steps, Scoble cops (a small woodland, Beaconspark plantation), Snapes point, The Bag (Kingsbridge estuary), the Black Stone (a rock marked by a black and white beacon on one side), Wolf rock (marked by a green buoy), Poundstone (has a leading light on it), Sunny cove, the view out to sea (where there is a bar - sandbank) and the white diamond on Telegraph beach (an underground cable).

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/place/Scoble ... _40611.htm
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13128
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby Wilson » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Looks great. Thanks jra :smilin:
User avatar
Wilson
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:57 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby jra » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Wilson wrote:Looks great. Thanks jra :smilin:


Dartmouth, Devon! (2018)

phpBB [video]


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ghs7KDFzAY

The A379 between Dartmouth and Kingsbridge is well worth a drive for the scenery, especially by Strete Gate and along the road by Slapton sands (do a check though, as I believe there has been sea erosion in the area recently, so I'm not sure if the road is open right now).

The Start Bay Inn, Torcross. Must eat if you're into fish and chips. 5* rating and good service. Always busy.

Dawlish Sea Wall between Exeter and Newton Abbott. This is a train journey you'll never forget.

North Devon. Clovelly. You may have to pay, but it's out of season at this time of year.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13128
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby Jobless Oddball » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:14 am

Does anyone here go on holiday???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:
User avatar
Jobless Oddball
 
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby jra » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:26 am

Jobless Oddball wrote:Does anyone here go on holiday???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:


Rarely these days. But I did have a 21 year long holiday when I was younger. South Devon.

But seriously. I wouldn't mind going to Sweden or Norway. I have a cousin in Sweden, so that may be doable. Other than Europe, only New Zealand or Japan really.

In the UK Scotland and that is embarrassing, as it's so easy to get there from Luton. Could even take a plane and get over my flying phobia.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13128
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby Jobless Oddball » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:14 pm

jra wrote:Rarely these days. But I did have a 21 year long holiday when I was younger. South Devon.

But seriously. I wouldn't mind going to Sweden or Norway. I have a cousin in Sweden, so that may be doable. Other than Europe, only New Zealand or Japan really.

In the UK Scotland and that is embarrassing, as it's so easy to get there from Luton. Could even take a plane and get over my flying phobia.


I've heard Japan is a great place to visit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

I've also heard South Korea is very similar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
User avatar
Jobless Oddball
 
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Jobless Oddball wrote:Does anyone here go on holiday???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:



Yes. Probably. Everyone does, just not at the same time so there’s always someone available to troll/chat with.
User avatar
Lady Murasaki
 
Posts: 25085
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby Jobless Oddball » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:15 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Yes. Probably.

Well which one is it????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:
User avatar
Jobless Oddball
 
Posts: 1411
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby jra » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:32 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Jobless Oddball wrote:Does anyone here go on holiday???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:



Yes. Probably. Everyone does, just not at the same time so there’s always someone available to troll/chat with.


Most people have been on holiday in the past at some stage, not everybody.

Side point.

What is it with people that say always/everyone regularly when they mean sometimes/most.

:brickwall:
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13128
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby McAz » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:39 pm

jra wrote:
Jobless Oddball wrote:Does anyone here go on holiday???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:


Rarely these days. But I did have a 21 year long holiday when I was younger. South Devon.

But seriously. I wouldn't mind going to Sweden or Norway. I have a cousin in Sweden, so that may be doable. Other than Europe, only New Zealand or Japan really.

In the UK Scotland and that is embarrassing, as it's so easy to get there from Luton. Could even take a plane and get over my flying phobia.


Both Sweden and Norway are clean but boring. Though Norwegians have rare sense of humour, similar to Brits.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby jra » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:41 pm

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
Jobless Oddball wrote:Does anyone here go on holiday???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:


Rarely these days. But I did have a 21 year long holiday when I was younger. South Devon.

But seriously. I wouldn't mind going to Sweden or Norway. I have a cousin in Sweden, so that may be doable. Other than Europe, only New Zealand or Japan really.

In the UK Scotland and that is embarrassing, as it's so easy to get there from Luton. Could even take a plane and get over my flying phobia.


Both Sweden and Norway are clean but boring. Though Norwegians have rare sense of humour, similar to Brits.


Boring. Are you having a laugh. I'd be going there for the scenery and architecture etc., not so much the nightlife. Nightlife I can do in the UK. London is just down the road.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13128
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby McAz » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:48 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
Jobless Oddball wrote:Does anyone here go on holiday???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:


Rarely these days. But I did have a 21 year long holiday when I was younger. South Devon.

But seriously. I wouldn't mind going to Sweden or Norway. I have a cousin in Sweden, so that may be doable. Other than Europe, only New Zealand or Japan really.

In the UK Scotland and that is embarrassing, as it's so easy to get there from Luton. Could even take a plane and get over my flying phobia.


Both Sweden and Norway are clean but boring. Though Norwegians have rare sense of humour, similar to Brits.


Boring. Are you having a laugh. I'd be going there for the scenery and architecture etc., not so much the nightlife. Nightlife I can do in the UK. London is just down the road.


Yeah, they're pretty enough, Sweden more than Norway, a bit chocolate box though.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 31130
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

Re: Holidays and travel.

Postby jra » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:25 am

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
Jobless Oddball wrote:Does anyone here go on holiday???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:


Rarely these days. But I did have a 21 year long holiday when I was younger. South Devon.

But seriously. I wouldn't mind going to Sweden or Norway. I have a cousin in Sweden, so that may be doable. Other than Europe, only New Zealand or Japan really.

In the UK Scotland and that is embarrassing, as it's so easy to get there from Luton. Could even take a plane and get over my flying phobia.


Both Sweden and Norway are clean but boring. Though Norwegians have rare sense of humour, similar to Brits.


Boring. Are you having a laugh. I'd be going there for the scenery and architecture etc., not so much the nightlife. Nightlife I can do in the UK. London is just down the road.


Yeah, they're pretty enough, Sweden more than Norway, a bit chocolate box though.


Which countries are comparing Norway and Sweden with in terms of scenery and architecture, as you don't seem particularly impressed with what those countries have to offer?
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 13128
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests