What is the meaning of Life ?

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Text » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Please state your take on it.

Is there a deep meaning or are we all just going thru the motions while waiting for the grim reaper's call. :tradmill:
User avatar
Text
 
Posts: 20018
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby McAz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm

Don't be fooled, there is no meaning beyond forums :ooer:
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 31967
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Dean » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:34 pm

You don’t ask for much do you?
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 36490
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Text » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:36 pm

Dean wrote:You don’t ask for much do you?


Incredibly simple question, incredibly tough answer.
Innit :mrgreen:
User avatar
Text
 
Posts: 20018
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Text » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:39 pm

Guys, if you know the answer then .......

1. It's likely that you also know exactly how we came to be here in the first place (via designer or via simple evolution?)

2. You'd know what to say to certain members of some religions which attach very little value to their current life on earth and seem to think this life is merely preparation for a better one in the next realm - there are unfortunate ramifications with this sort of thinking (re suicide bombers).

3. You'd also know exactly what to say, to comfort a tiny child who has just lost a beloved nan, grandad (or lost a parent in an accident - happens everyday.)


-------------------------------------------
So it's an important question. :snooty:

Scratch your chins and post a reply!!
User avatar
Text
 
Posts: 20018
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Lambert » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm

A glance at the Hubble Deep Field images should be enough to dispel any notion that there is any special meaning or purpose to our existence beyond our biological imperatives.
User avatar
Lambert
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:07 am

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Dean » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Lambert wrote:A glance at the Hubble Deep Field images should be enough to dispel any notion that there is any special meaning or purpose to our existence beyond our biological imperatives.


Such a romantic...
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 36490
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby McAz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:57 pm

Canary wrote:Guys, if you know the answer then .......

1. It's likely that you also know exactly how we came to be here in the first place (via designer or via simple evolution?)

Evolution is far from simple and your two options are not mutually exclusive.

2. You'd know what to say to certain members of some religions which attach very little value to their current life on earth and seem to think this life is merely preparation for a better one in the next realm - there are unfortunate ramifications with this sort of thinking (re suicide bombers).

"Blow yourself up if you want to - just leave the rest of us out of it".

3. You'd also know exactly what to say, to comfort a tiny child who has just lost a beloved nan, grandad (or lost a parent in an accident - happens everyday.)

"Nan has gone to a happier place which has many names. Yes, Santa lives there too."


-------------------------------------------
So it's an important question. :snooty:

Scratch your chins and post a reply!!
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 31967
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 am

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby dis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:04 pm

I don’t dwell on how I came to be :kinell:

It’s just a case of trudging through shit it feels like, more so since my Dad died, I just cannot be arsed with all the shit life brings, just getting on with it.
User avatar
dis
 
Posts: 3218
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Dean » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:06 pm

dis wrote:I don’t dwell on how I came to be :kinell:

It’s just a case of trudging through shit it feels like, more so since my Dad died, I just cannot be arsed with all the shit life brings, just getting on with it.


Your life changes drastically when you lose a very close loved one. It’s hard to explain...
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 36490
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Lambert » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:06 pm

Dean wrote:
Lambert wrote:A glance at the Hubble Deep Field images should be enough to dispel any notion that there is any special meaning or purpose to our existence beyond our biological imperatives.


Such a romantic...


I like to dream with the rest of 'em, but there's nothing like the night sky to bring you down to earth. Well, that and shit that happens in your life.
User avatar
Lambert
 
Posts: 3151
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:07 am

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby dis » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:09 pm

Dean wrote:
dis wrote:I don’t dwell on how I came to be :kinell:

It’s just a case of trudging through shit it feels like, more so since my Dad died, I just cannot be arsed with all the shit life brings, just getting on with it.


Your life changes drastically when you lose a very close loved one. It’s hard to explain...



It’s hellish Dean.

I’m a cheery soul mostly but that’s knocked the sparkle out of everything.
User avatar
dis
 
Posts: 3218
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Dean » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:11 pm

dis wrote:
Dean wrote:
dis wrote:I don’t dwell on how I came to be :kinell:

It’s just a case of trudging through shit it feels like, more so since my Dad died, I just cannot be arsed with all the shit life brings, just getting on with it.


Your life changes drastically when you lose a very close loved one. It’s hard to explain...



It’s hellish Dean.

I’m a cheery soul mostly but that’s knocked the sparkle out of everything.


Yeah I know what you mean...
User avatar
Dean
 
Posts: 36490
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:30 pm

“In the beginning, God created the earth, and he looked upon it in His cosmic loneliness.

And God said, "Let Us make living creatures out of mud, so the mud can see what We have done." And God created every living creature that now moveth, and one was man. Mud as man alone could speak. God leaned close to mud as man sat up, looked around, and spoke. Man blinked. "What is the purpose of all this?" he asked politely.

"Everything must have a purpose?" asked God.

"Certainly," said man.

"Then I leave it to you to think of one for all this," said God.

And He went away.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 5932
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:32 pm

42
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 5932
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests