What is the meaning of Life ?

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby jra » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:31 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:We appear to be the thinking element of the universe or at least this small corner of it.
We are stardust but we are thinking and feeling stardust.

However, we are an insignificant planet, revolving around an insignificant star (The Sun, one of 200-400 billion stars in our galaxy) on the outskirts of the Milky Way, one of at least a 200 billion galaxies known so far (estimates say up to 2 trillion). I'm not convinced we been visited by alien life forms yet. Let's face it, if they've managed travel to planet Earth, they'll probably think the human race is their equivalent of amoebas, so at best do a fly by, i.e. hardly worth bothering to land.

If it is true that one cannot travel faster than light, it's going to take us 4+ light years to reach the nearest star and 2.5 million light years to reach the nearest major galaxy (Andromeda) at the speed of light. At our present rocket/probe speeds we are talking about 137,000 years according to the link below. That's the nearest star in our own galaxy, let alone going to another galaxy like the Andromeda.

http://www.ucolick.org/~mountain/AAA/aa ... a_centauri
jra

Postby art0hur0moh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:07 pm

jra wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:We appear to be the thinking element of the universe or at least this small corner of it.

However, we are an insignificant planet, revolving around an insignificant star (The Sun, one of 200-400 billion stars in our galaxy) on the outskirts of the Milky Way, one of at least a 200 billion galaxies known so far (estimates say up to 2 trillion). I'm not convinced we been visited by alien life forms yet. Let's face it, if they've managed travel to planet Earth, they'll probably think the human race is their equivalent of amoebas, so at best do a fly by, i.e. hardly worth bothering to land.

If it is true that one cannot travel faster than light, it's going to take us 4+ light years to reach the nearest star and 2.5 million light years to reach the nearest major galaxy (Andromeda) at the speed of light. At our present rocket/probe speeds we are talking about 137,000 years according to the link below. That's the nearest star in our own galaxy, let alone going to another galaxy like the Andromeda.

do you actually think You are insignificant? Personally I don't think that of My Self nor anyone else. If the Sun is so important to life why don't People capitalize the Word it self? if People stop diminishing Ours and Their Own value, just maybe We as a species Will be able to answer these questions. You have a super computer behind Your Eyes, imagine everyone taught to harness Their entire cranial capacitance, poverty would be eradicated in a Generation.
art0hur0moh

Postby jra » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:27 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:
jra wrote:

do you actually think You are insignificant? Personally I don't think that of My Self nor anyone else. If the Sun is so important to life why don't People capitalize the Word it self? if People stop diminishing Ours and Their Own value, just maybe We as a species Will be able to answer these questions. You have a super computer behind Your Eyes, imagine everyone taught to harness Their entire cranial capacitance, poverty would be eradicated in a Generation.

The Sun is referred to just that, not the sun. It's our nearest star and without it we'd be dead within a week or so, due to extreme low temperatures and if not that, no more more than a few months at most due to starvation, as no plants will be able to grow and most if not all other lifeforms will have died.

The Sun is not just important to life, it is essential, otherwise we wouldn't or any other lifeforms on planet Earth be here. And yes the human race, planet Earth and the Sun are pretty insignificant in the scheme of things when there are at least 200 billion other galaxies (that we know of). We are I suppose significant in our own little world (literally), but on a universal (universe) scale we are the equivalent of a small grain of sand on a very large beach, many of those other grains of sands having their own planets and almost certainly other lifeforms (purely by statistical probability).

I mean. Look at what we do to each other and to other wildlife on planet Earth. Most other alien lifeforms (if they know about us, that is) will be 'breathing' a sigh of relief that we haven't yet managed to go and visit them.

One significant flaw in the human species is that we think we're more important than other lifeforms on Earth (we're not). Arrogance in other words. Take bees for example. Without them we're going to be in big trouble.
jra

Postby art0hur0moh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:38 pm

jra wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:
jra wrote:

The Sun is referred to just that, not the sun. It's our nearest star and without it we'd be dead within a week or so, due to extreme low temperatures and if not that, no more more than a few months at most due to starvation, as no plants will be able to grow and most if not all other lifeforms will have died.

The Sun is not just important to life, it is essential, otherwise we wouldn't or any other lifeforms on planet Earth be here. And yes the human race, planet Earth and the Sun are pretty insignificant in the scheme of things when there are at least 200 billion other galaxies (that we know of). We are I suppose significant in our own little world (literally), but on a universal (universe) scale we are the equivalent of a small grain of sand on a very large beach, many of those other grains of sands having their own planets and almost certainly other lifeforms (purely by statistical probability).

I mean. Look at what we do to each other and to other wildlife on planet Earth. Most other alien lifeforms (if they know about us, that is) will be 'breathing' a sigh of relief that we haven't yet managed to go and visit them.

One significant flaw in the human species is that we think we're more important than other lifeforms on Earth (we're not). Arrogance in other words. Take bees for example. Without them we're going to be in big trouble.

with out Solar radiation days if that! She! I have a distaste for the Word insignificant. Humility I find more apt. was on twitter and read that Patrick Stuart is a (H something? can't remember atm), a few weeks ago He got a few hives. still don't like the boxes! I have for almost as long as I can remember wanted a hive. but I don't rely like honey, I eat it some times and have used it in coffee which is actually tasty. but not to much, or to often.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:45 pm

art0hur0moh

Postby jra » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:

Great video thanks. The Sun is a pretty average star in the scheme of things, but one advantage of being smaller than many other stars is that it's burning up it's fuel more slowly (allowing longer for intelligent life to develop), namely hydrogen via nuclear fusion, something that humans have yet to master, at least in a controlled way. You know, you go out on a sunny day and you can feel heat from the Sun from an average of 93 million miles away. I'd say that's pretty bloody impressive.

Let's have a look at this.

Sun power (estimated) 384.6 yotta (10 to the power of 24) watts.

384600000000000000000000000 watts.

That's a helluva heater.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100715200 ... nfact.html

The issue with bees is they are the main pollinators of a third (estimated) of the human food supply.
jra

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:43 am

jra wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:

Great video thanks. The Sun is a pretty average star in the scheme of things, but one advantage of being smaller than many other stars is that it's burning up it's fuel more slowly (allowing longer for intelligent life to develop), namely hydrogen via nuclear fusion, something that humans have yet to master, at least in a controlled way. You know, you go out on a sunny day and you can feel heat from the Sun from an average of 93 million miles away. I'd say that's pretty bloody impressive.

Let's have a look at this.

Sun power (estimated) 384.6 yotta (10 to the power of 24) watts.

384600000000000000000000000 watts.

That's a helluva heater.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100715200 ... nfact.html

The issue with bees is they are the main pollinators of a third (estimated) of the human food supply.

Our primary Food is Grain, Bees are to big to do that job. Fruit and many flowers they do pollinate, but not all. I noticed a number of years ago tiny holes on the Blue Bells in the garden I couldn't explain? till I saw a Bee outside the flower feeding on the nectar.

of all the Solar Energy a plant receives over a year, the Plant it Self can only harness a fraction of 1% of the Energy that Touches the Plant. as the hydrogen is depleted a lattice within the Sun separates helium from hydrogen. there was a time I was able to do indices and powers, I can no longer calculate the sum for My self, so I will take it on faith alone. I do know Energy is calculated in Joules which is a bit problematic. wattage is out put, or Work done. is the calculation of the Sun or the sum total of Energy the Earth receives?

if the Suns mass was evident then I could calculate the energy using Einsteins general relativity.
art0hur0moh

Postby jra » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:05 am

The figure I quoted was the Sun's output power/energy, much of which never reaches Earth of course, but obviously enough to sustain life, just about everywhere on the planet.

And yes you're right about grain.

I think it's fair to say that humans are upsetting the balance of nature and that is because of overpopulation and technology.
jra

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:30 pm

jra wrote:The figure I quoted was the Sun's output power/energy, much of which never reaches Earth of course, but obviously enough to sustain life, just about everywhere on the planet.

I think it's fair to say that humans are upsetting the balance of nature and that is because of overpopulation and technology.

Power output to be pedantic. seems to me to be a low number? I am thinking the 9 min vacuum between the surface and the Earth will reduce that number significantly? an emphatic no on Your thinking that Population and Technology are the culprits. that is like blaming the tea cup for not holding the liquid when it crashes to the floor. 90% of Agricultural output is Arable feed. Cows are not designed to consume grain, and it makes the meat fatty. Our Mammalian Species is the Only species I know Whos primary diet consists of grain. is the car to blamed when someone fails to control between one and three tones of metal in hazardous conditions?
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:37 pm

If We actually consumed the Molasses and Wheat Germ rich grains We feed livestock. We wouldn't require the high Protein diets We overly consume in the World today.
art0hur0moh

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 am

Appreciation.
Lady Murasaki

Postby jra » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:36 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:
jra wrote:The figure I quoted was the Sun's output power/energy, much of which never reaches Earth of course, but obviously enough to sustain life, just about everywhere on the planet.

Power output to be pedantic. seems to me to be a low number? I am thinking the 9 min vacuum between the surface and the Earth will reduce that number significantly? an emphatic no on Your thinking that Population and Technology are the culprits. that is like blaming the tea cup for not holding the liquid when it crashes to the floor. 90% of Agricultural output is Arable feed. Cows are not designed to consume grain, and it makes the meat fatty. Our Mammalian Species is the Only species I know Whos primary diet consists of grain. is the car to blamed when someone fails to control between one and three tones of metal in hazardous conditions?

Explain that analogy further please.
jra

Postby art0hur0moh » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:Appreciation.

In one word, I would use Presence.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:54 pm

jra wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:

We produce enough food to feed 9 times the Global population. markets don't reflect the Human need, only the corporate Arable input is measured. for bread We use strong flower, that means it is harvested before the molasses is introduced into the grain. later harvests are purely Arable feed.
art0hur0moh

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:12 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:
jra wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:

We produce enough food to feed 9 times the Global population. markets don't reflect the Human need, only the corporate Arable input is measured. for bread We use strong flower, that means it is harvested before the molasses is introduced into the grain. later harvests are purely Arable feed.

We could easily feed twenty planet earths but our economic system fails us.
Capitalism hates an abundance because it cannot function in those conditions.
Rolluplostinspace

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug