What is the meaning of Life ?

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: What is the meaning of Life ?

Postby charlie » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:57 pm

Helena Handbasket wrote:Gosh. I came in here thinking it would be the same arguments and funny quips etc, this forum is therapy for me at the minute, at a particularly shite time, and I'm really sorry to read some of your stories. Charlie like you I'm drinking too much.

Last night I visited my brother, he's got cancer of the bowel and has a tumour in his chest and is lying in hospital waiting to die. Every breath is painful for him and i looked in his eyes and thought, God I hope it comes soon, he's suffering so much. I don't have my mum and dad any more and that was heart breaking, but this is my big brother and i can't get my head round how unfair it is.

So my husband and i got in our car and drove home, had a takeaway and a drink, and all I could think of was him there in that bed and wondered if he is frightened and what's going through his mind.

So I have no fucking clue at the minute what it's all a fucking bout.

I haven't been online since last Sat - so I've only just seen this.

I am so sorry to read about your brother. It's obviously an incredibly difficult time for you and it must be like waiting in limbo for the inevitable and wishing it because of how much pain he's in, but feeling utter sorrow at the same time.

Lean on hubby and friends, don't be afraid to let it out. XX
charlie

Postby Keyser » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 pm

charlie wrote:
Helena Handbasket wrote:Gosh. I came in here thinking it would be the same arguments and funny quips etc, this forum is therapy for me at the minute, at a particularly shite time, and I'm really sorry to read some of your stories. Charlie like you I'm drinking too much.

Last night I visited my brother, he's got cancer of the bowel and has a tumour in his chest and is lying in hospital waiting to die. Every breath is painful for him and i looked in his eyes and thought, God I hope it comes soon, he's suffering so much. I don't have my mum and dad any more and that was heart breaking, but this is my big brother and i can't get my head round how unfair it is.

So my husband and i got in our car and drove home, had a takeaway and a drink, and all I could think of was him there in that bed and wondered if he is frightened and what's going through his mind.

I haven't been online since last Sat - so I've only just seen this.

I am so sorry to read about your brother. It's obviously an incredibly difficult time for you and it must be like waiting in limbo for the inevitable and wishing it because of how much pain he's in, but feeling utter sorrow at the same time.

Lean on hubby and friends, don't be afraid to let it out. XX

Very good advice and nice to see you back on here. :canny:
Keyser

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 pm

I know we're all different but is he able to talk?
If so take his hand and ask him.
He's probably bursting to talk.
When I say I know we're all different I'm saying that's what would happen in my family.
Don't be afraid of talking and listening.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Text » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:47 pm

It's better to communicate using one's own words rather than memes, but I think memes work well in this topic, so I'll throw a few more into the mix.

Text

Postby Text » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Keyser wrote:For what it's worth - gravitational lensing has given us a superb image of a galaxy from 13.3 Billion (light years) years ago.

Perspective - this is an how 'important we' are in this image?

Fuck religion.

BIB: And that's not even the worst part.
The universe is increasing in size ALL the time, that's the worst (most incomprehensible) part. Jeeeez! :kinell:
Last edited by Text on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Text

Postby Keyser » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:52 pm

That cake looks bloody gorgeous Cans - what type is it? :Hiya:
Keyser

Postby Text » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Possible a spongecake, with raspberry sauce/coulis drizzled on it, Keys. Ta. :smilin: :Hiya:
Text

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:57 pm

Canary wrote:
Keyser wrote:For what it's worth - gravitational lensing has given us a superb image of a galaxy from 13.3 Billion (light years) years ago.

Perspective - this is an how 'important we' are in this image?

Fuck religion.

BIB: And that's not even the worst part.
The universe is increasing in size ALL the time, that's the worst (most incomprehensible) part. Jeeeez! :kinell:

:mrgreen:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Text » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Flee? Nah,
Let's ride it out. Buckle up! :gigglesnshit:
Text

Postby Lambert » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 pm

Canary wrote:
Lambert wrote:A glance at the Hubble Deep Field images should be enough to dispel any notion that there is any special meaning or purpose to our existence beyond our biological imperatives.

Quite. :mrgreen:
I liked this article: (The Authors' names are embedded in it.)

"Contemplating the sheer scale of the Universe and the tininess of our world, it is easy to dismiss humanity as insignificant in the ‘Big Picture’. We seem like just a tiny brush stroke or a random pixel in that picture," says Jaymie Matthews, professor of astronomy and astrophysics at the University of British Colombia. But Matthews explains why this is not the case.

“When I was a student starting out in astronomy, the recipe of the Universe was simple,” she says. “Everything was made of the particles that make us, and our planet, and our Sun, and all the suns and gas and dust in interstellar space. We were part of the main ingredient of the dish.” Now, however, the discovery of dark matter and dark energy has thrown this completely off. Today, the recipe of the Universe is about 75 per cent dark energy, 21 per cent dark matter, and four per cent normal matter – the stuff we are made of. On top of this, the actual elements that make Earth and life on Earth represent only a tiny fraction of a per cent of the composition of the Universe.

“We've gone from being the main ingredient in the recipe – the cheese in the fondue – to a pinch of spice,” Matthews says. “That's not a loss of stature in the cosmic kitchen, but a promotion.” Think about this the next time you wonder whether life has any meaning. Matthews says: “Every time you look up at the stars, and wonder what they are and how they got there, you give the Universe meaning, and add to your own meaning.”

I'm not convinced by his point of view. Knowing that the stuff of which we are made is even rarer than we thought only strengthens my view that intelligent life forms are an aberration, like a faulty gene in the universe's DNA. One day it'll get corrected and the universe will continue to do its thing without us. In the meantime there's alcohol and Game of Thrones season 8 to look forward to.

PS those deep field images blow my mind every time.
Lambert

Postby Keyser » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:30 pm

Lambert wrote:I'm not convinced by his point of view. Knowing that the stuff of which we are made is even rarer than we thought only strengthens my view that intelligent life forms are an aberration, like a faulty gene in the universe's DNA. One day it'll get corrected and the universe will continue to do its thing without us. In the meantime there's alcohol and Game of Thrones season 8 to look forward to.

The only method of 'time travel' that is possible.

We are seeing that galaxy as it was almost nine billion years before the Earth even formed. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Lambert » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:02 am

Keyser wrote:
Lambert wrote:I'm not convinced by his point of view. Knowing that the stuff of which we are made is even rarer than we thought only strengthens my view that intelligent life forms are an aberration, like a faulty gene in the universe's DNA. One day it'll get corrected and the universe will continue to do its thing without us. In the meantime there's alcohol and Game of Thrones season 8 to look forward to.

We are seeing that galaxy as it was almost nine billion years before the Earth even formed. :thumbsup:

I'm always awed by the deep field images, but I also think it's sad that we'll never know about all those civilisations that may have risen and fallen all those light years away from us. I mean, we're looking right at them but we can't see them and we'll never know their stories.

Why the fuck does space have to be so big? It's not bloody fair. We can see all these galaxies and we're stuck down here on primitive wheeled contraptions that run on fossil juice sucked out of the ground. I hope reincarnation is a thing because I'll be seriously pissed if I exit this universe without having a window seat on a cruiser as we pass Andromeda.
Lambert

Postby Keyser » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:16 am

Lambert wrote:
Keyser wrote:

I'm always awed by the deep field images, but I also think it's sad that we'll never know about all those civilisations that may have risen and fallen all those light years away from us. I mean, we're looking right at them but we can't see them and we'll never know their stories.

Why the fuck does space have to be so big? It's not bloody fair. We can see all these galaxies and we're stuck down here on primitive wheeled contraptions that run on fossil juice sucked out of the ground. I hope reincarnation is a thing because I'll be seriously pissed if I exit this universe without having a window seat on a cruiser as we pass Andromeda.

There could be tens of thousands of civilisations in this Galaxy alone (or none if you hold the view that Brian Cox does) but we will never know - the distances are simply too vast.

Even the Oort cloud may be beyond us for millennia.

Of course add to this that we may be living in just one of an infinite number of universes and it just fucks with your mind.

For example - GN-z11 - a galaxy that is 13.4 billion light years away (actually in the time since the light left it and with the expansion of the Universe it will be about 32 billion light years away by now)! :kinell:

Keyser

Postby McAz » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:29 am

Keyser wrote:
Lambert wrote:
Keyser wrote:

There could be tens of thousands of civilisations in this Galaxy alone (or none if you hold the view that Brian Cox does) but we will never know - the distances are simply too vast.

Of course add to this that we may be living in just one of an infinite number of universes and it just fucks with your mind.

For example - GN-z11 - a galaxy that is 13.4 billion light years away (actually in the time since the light left it and with the expansion of the Universe it will be about 32 billion light years away by now)! :kinell:

And - if I've got this right - we reach an interesting problem if Einstein is correct. That is, the light from anything beyond around 14 billion light years away from us will never reach us since the expansion of the universe is happening faster that the speed of light. So we may never know how big the visible universe is beyond that point by direct observation. This, of course, assumes we are correct in ageing the universe to around 14 billion years old.
McAz

Postby Keyser » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 am

McAz wrote:
Keyser wrote:
Lambert wrote:
Keyser wrote:

And - if I've got this right - we reach an interesting problem if Einstein is correct. That is, the light from anything beyond around 14 billion light years away from us will never reach us since the expansion of the universe is happening faster that the speed of light. So we may never know how big the visible universe is beyond that point by direct observation. This, of course, assumes we are correct in ageing the universe to around 14 billion years old.

Hence the term Observable Universe. :smilin:
Keyser

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug