Asthma, inhalers, and GPs

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Asthma, inhalers, and GPs

Postby Nucks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:06 pm

Some years ago I got a prescription for Ventolin from my GP. I have what I would say is sporadic asthma, and I only need an inhaler when I get a cold/chesty cough. The inhaler lasted me a long time, and when I caught a cold last month I realised I was nearly out of my medication so made an appointment to get it refilled. The previous GP has since retired and the new doc said because I don’t have asthma I can’t get an inhaler. :roll: If I was asking for something addictive or a strong painkiller, I would understand the reluctance, but my last inhaler lasted years, I feel frustrated that that avenue is no longer available.

So no advice given for my current bouts of shortness of breath. Thanks!

I’m looking online to see if I can order one.

Anyone here had issues with their GP and asthma?
Nucks

Re: Asthma, inhalers, and GPs

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:16 pm

My mam uses an inhaler when she has a bad chest. She’s never had an issue getting a replacement.
Can you request to see another GP at the same practice?
NastyNickers

Postby jp761 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Get an appointment with a nurse/nurse practitioner? Sometimes a word in the ear of your GP from them will get things sorted.

Best I can do. Sorry to hear about your current shortness of breath problem, Nucks.
jp761

Postby Lucian Deville » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi OP

Demand a breathing capacity check where you blow into a tube and maybe ask to see the asthma nurse.

ATB
Lucian Deville

Postby Nucks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks NN & jp. I’m guessing the issue is I’ve never been officially diagnosed as asthmatic. The doc did one of those breath tests where you have to expel breath as hard as you can and they compare your result to a chart for your age and height. I’m only slightly below what I should be, so she says.

I was tempted to ask whether she thought the previous GP was an irresponsible quack for giving an inhaler to a non-asthmatic. :gigglesnshit:

Perhaps they’ve changed the rules or something. I’m not convinced the nurse could or would override the decision of the GP.
Nucks

Postby measurer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 pm

A peak flow test is what Lucian means. People are having yearly checks now and if you aren't being checked, they take it that you don't need them or you would have made an appointment to see the asthma nurse, so make one with her and get her to test you. That will tell you if you have asthma or not, and if so, it will be put back on your prescription.
measurer

Postby Lucian Deville » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks Mes :)
Lucian Deville

Postby NastyNickers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Nucks wrote:Thanks NN & jp. I’m guessing the issue is I’ve never been officially diagnosed as asthmatic. The doc did one of those breath tests where you have to expel breath as hard as you can and they compare your result to a chart for your age and height. I’m only slightly below what I should be, so she says.

I was tempted to ask whether she thought the previous GP was an irresponsible quack for giving an inhaler to a non-asthmatic. :gigglesnshit:

Perhaps they’ve changed the rules or something. I’m not convinced the nurse could or would override the decision of the GP.

Unless the GP has put a specific note on there not to give you a inhaler, I don’t think there’s be an issue with overriding the GP. Saying that, I have a note on my records saying not to give me iron tablets as the only treatment for my anaemia, and I still only get iron tablets unless I push.

If I’ve learnt anything through all my health woes, it’s to never take no as an answer.
NastyNickers

Postby Star » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:51 pm

Nucks wrote:Some years ago I got a prescription for Ventolin from my GP. I have what I would say is sporadic asthma, and I only need an inhaler when I get a cold/chesty cough. The inhaler lasted me a long time, and when I caught a cold last month I realised I was nearly out of my medication so made an appointment to get it refilled. The previous GP has since retired and the new doc said because I don’t have asthma I can’t get an inhaler. :roll: If I was asking for something addictive or a strong painkiller, I would understand the reluctance, but my last inhaler lasted years, I feel frustrated that that avenue is no longer available.

Just make an appointment to see the Asthma nurse and she will do a spirometer test.
You should often having these tests every year, regardless Nucks.
Star

Postby Cleopatra » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Nucks wrote:Thanks NN & jp. I’m guessing the issue is I’ve never been officially diagnosed as asthmatic. The doc did one of those breath tests where you have to expel breath as hard as you can and they compare your result to a chart for your age and height. I’m only slightly below what I should be, so she says.

Hi Nucks,

Cold viruses that produce a cough/wheeze with no signs of asthma present at other times is not generally considered to be asthma. If you passed the lung function test then you probably have no need of an inhaler. Steroids are serious drugs and can have nasty side-effects, even in the smaller doses required for an inhaler. An appointment with the asthma nurse would probably echo the advice from the G.P.but it may be worth it for peace of mind. Breathlessness should never be ignored, though.
Cleopatra

Postby measurer » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

It's a new directive - read more here - I went thru this last year at the same time :

http://psnc.org.uk/services-commissioning/essential-services/quality-payments-over-use-of-asthma-treatments/
measurer

Postby Cleopatra » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:14 pm

measurer wrote:It's a new directive - read more here - I went thru this last year at the same time :

http://psnc.org.uk/services-commissioning/essential-services/quality-payments-over-use-of-asthma-treatments/

The other side of the coin is diagnosed asthmatics not treating it seriously enough. By the time the blue inhaler is needed, it's too late and could one day result in a serious asthma attack. The brown preventer should be used, alongside the lung flow meter to avoid the inflammation in the first place. Youngsters, especially, do not appreciate the possible seriousness of neglected asthma.
Cleopatra

Postby Markey mark » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:48 pm

Nucks wrote:Some years ago I got a prescription for Ventolin from my GP. I have what I would say is sporadic asthma, and I only need an inhaler when I get a cold/chesty cough. The inhaler lasted me a long time, and when I caught a cold last month I realised I was nearly out of my medication so made an appointment to get it refilled. The previous GP has since retired and the new doc said because I don’t have asthma I can’t get an inhaler. :roll: If I was asking for something addictive or a strong painkiller, I would understand the reluctance, but my last inhaler lasted years, I feel frustrated that that avenue is no longer available.

You can buy a inhaler for asthma from over the counter at any chemist, my last one I brought cost £12 , I suffered from asthma all my life ,it’s always get worst when I get a cold or flu, if you live London area I give you one as I have few spare
Markey mark

Postby Lucian Deville » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:03 pm

Markey mark wrote:

You can buy a inhaler for asthma from over the counter at any chemist, my last one I brought cost £12 , I suffered from asthma all my life ,it’s always get worst when I get a cold or flu, if you live London area I give you one as I have few spare

Hi

You are one very generous man and I hope the OP takes up your offer.

:smilin: :smilin:
Lucian Deville

Postby Nucks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Markey mark wrote:

Thanks MM. I might look into that if the online thing doesn’t work out.

Thanks to the other posters as well. I feel like I’d probably be wasting my time going back as I don’t think I have asthma, by their standards. She did that breath test and I was only slightly under normal levels.

Does make me wonder why the previous doc had no issues prescribing one for me years ago. :dunno:
Nucks

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug