Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Postby jp761 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Stooo wrote:
jp761 wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
jp761 wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:I’m an Apple fangirl, and pretty much upgrade my iPhone, iPad and watch when a new one is released. I’m on the iPhone X, 12.5 inch iPad Pro and series 3 Watch currently.

Built my own desktop. I am a gamer, but I also run different BIM programs (usually all at the same time), so I went as powerful as I could afford.

I have 3D pens and a 3D printer, engraving and cutting machines, all manner of crafty shit and power tools. I’m dreadful for stuff collecting.
Only the best right there in the apple range. Nice.

Nice skill to have the ability to build your own desktop to your specific requirements.

3D printer something in the tech world that I've never seen in action, not in the flesh at least seen it on TV.

I don’t use the printer as much as I should. Or the engraver/cutter. The technology is amazing though. Everything will be 3D printed eventually :mrgreen:

I’ve always added to my desktops, whether upgrading the graphics card or new storage drives. Building it wasn’t much of a leP, and there are so many really good guides out there.
I upgraded my graphics card recently from the GYX 970 to the 1080 ti. I fancied getting in on the 4K gaming, but haven’t got round to upgrading my monitor yet :paranoid:
I've added additional RAM before but that's it. As you say there are some good guides around some of them pretty much anyone could follow easily enough. Computers aren't really my bag though as the OP said, I can set-up a whole one easy enough sort the antivirus etc but that's about it.

Just had a a quick look at 4K PC monitor prices the best prices aren't as much as I expected, I know 4K TV prices have gradually came down but didn't really expect decent prices on 4K PC monitors.

Why bother to buy a TV in this day and age?
Big screens 50" plus are great if you're a big sports or movie fan I'm a big sports fan, and also don't mind a good movie now and again.

For big sports events and big-budget movies a decent large screen makes for more enjoyable viewing, it's more immersive and impactive.
jp761

Postby Stooo » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:07 pm

jp761 wrote:Big screens 50" plus are great if you're a big sports or movie fan I'm a big sports fan, and also don't mind a good movie now and again.

For big sports events and big-budget movies a decent large screen makes for more enjoyable viewing, it's more immersive and impactive.

Yeah but I just need a big screen, a decent sound system and a decent broadband connection. No need for tuners or decoders. TV is old tech and I say that as a former aerial, cable and satellite engineer.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby jp761 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:36 pm

Stooo wrote:
jp761 wrote:Big screens 50" plus are great if you're a big sports or movie fan I'm a big sports fan, and also don't mind a good movie now and again.

Yeah but I just need a big screen, a decent sound system and a decent broadband connection. No need for tuners or decoders. TV is old tech and I say that as a former aerial, cable and satellite engineer.
As I say a big sports fan I like to have Sky Sports so need a tuner/decoder in my case virgin media supply that. Well at least as far as I'm aware I need a tuner/decoder. How large can you get a PC monitor these days? The one I use at my desktop computer right now is only 17".
jp761

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:53 pm

think im gonna buy this for the garden for music via the bluetooth
and for reading ebooks in bed
got a full detachable key
seems versitile
:dunno:
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/linx-12x64-12-5-tablet-keyboard-64-gb-black-10157749-pdt.html
Big Fat Frosty

Postby NastyNickers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 pm

jp761 wrote:
Stooo wrote:

As I say a big sports fan I like to have Sky Sports so need a tuner/decoder in my case virgin media supply that. Well at least as far as I'm aware I need a tuner/decoder. How large can you get a PC monitor these days? The one I use at my desktop computer right now is only 17".

My current main screen is 28inches. I’ve got a couple of smaller ones either side.

Anything bigger than 28in would be too much for me, I’d have to move my head to look at different bits of the screen.
NastyNickers

Postby jp761 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:24 pm

NastyNickers wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Stooo wrote:

My current main screen is 28inches. I’ve got a couple of smaller ones either side.

Anything bigger than 28in would be too much for me, I’d have to move my head to look at different bits of the screen.
Yes sitting bang in front of a screen a mere few feet away from a 28incher will give you enjoyable immersive viewing no matter what you're looking at be it a film on netflix or whatever. Not so good if you want to sit say 8 feet back on a sofa and watch sports/movies, 28" isn't big enough not in my opinion anyway.

And you really do have a proper set-up the multiple screen scenario. Do you have Alienware gear everywhere? That's about my limit when it comes to the gaming world.
Last edited by jp761 on Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jp761

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:25 pm

jp761 wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:I recently bought three PC's and the one I sit here with is one of those all in one things.
It's a screen on a stand with the pc built into the back of the screen.
No wires no separate bits.
No good if you like to physically add stuff apart from more memory but a great piece of kit for what it's used for.

A simple MIDI keyboard.
49 keys 5 octave changes which makes it more than 49 keys.
Just under 70 quid.
It has no onboard sounds.
It has no speakers.
It's useless without a computer of some kind to plug it into.
It looks like any other black and white piano style keyboard.
The sounds are whatever MIDI patches I have stored in pc software.
Meaning the sounds I have are almost limitless.
The manipulation of any sound is almost limitless and playable on the keys.
Lot of software for turning all my sound design and creation into some kind of music.
Other than this I'm not really a fan of high tech anything else.
I am going to have to bow down to getting a modern mobile pretty soon though.
I won't be paying eight hundred quid though or any other silly price for a phone.

Recently bought another telly.
Gone from one old fashioned one that I was perfectly happy with but got a flat thin was as a present which has led to a growth in numbers of them but not a growth in the hours they are watched.
Large and pointless really.
Hardly ever switched on.

My next purchases will be a good microphone as singing is becoming essential for the continuation of my musical hobby and some decent speakers.
The singing will also and more importantly be good physical medicine for a man with COPD.
Gotta do it now while I still can and exercise those lungs while I still can.

I won't be getting devices around the house that I can talk to and they talk back ... what a nightmare!
Look up the DALI speaker range, Rolly, if you haven't heard of them, they're the kind of company that gets praised for their value for money in independent reviews. A £500 pair of speakers for example, being likened to the quality of a pair of £800 to £1000 speakers from most other companies.

I play drums on this. Image

Self-taught, not very good, just a hobby and for fun.

I used to have a kit something like this one it took up too much space though for my liking. Image

:thumbsup: Never heard of them but thanks I'll look into them.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby NastyNickers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:42 pm

jp761 wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:
jp761 wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Yes sitting bang in front of a screen a mere few feet away from a 28incher will give you enjoyable immersive viewing no matter what you're looking at be it a film on netflix or whatever. Not so good if you want to sit say 8 feet back on a sofa and watch sports/movies, 28" isn't big enough not in my opinion anyway.

And you really do have a proper set-up the multiple screen scenario. Do you have Alienware gear everywhere? That's about my limit when it comes to the gaming world.

No, no Alienware. They mainly do premade rigs. I think they do keyboards and stuff, but I like to match so I’m using the razer chroma mouse/mat, keyboard and keypad. They are lit up with LEDs and I’m a test for shiny shit :mrgreen:
NastyNickers

Postby jp761 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:56 pm

Ah NN, I see. Shiny/lights is good, seems to work on TV shows like Blindspot in the special operations room.

:mrgreen:
jp761

Postby jp761 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:think im gonna buy this for the garden for music via the bluetooth
seems versitile
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/linx-12x64-12-5-tablet-keyboard-64-gb-black-10157749-pdt.html
Looks pretty good as far as I can tell. A quick look at online reviews says it's good for the money.
jp761

Postby Keyser » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:18 pm

Does an abacus count? :dunno: :shame:
Keyser

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:37 pm

jp761 wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:think im gonna buy this for the garden for music via the bluetooth
seems versitile
Looks pretty good as far as I can tell. A quick look at online reviews says it's good for the money.

im going to buy it on your recomendation
if anything goes wrong
im going to hold you personally responsible
:monkey: :mrgreen:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Goodwife » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:54 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:
jp761 wrote:
seems versitile

if anything goes wrong

I would say don't buy it for the purpose you intend unless you buy extra storage
Goodwife

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 pm

Goodwife wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:
jp761 wrote:
seems versitile

if anything goes wrong

I would say don't buy it for the purpose you intend unless you buy extra storage

64gb is ample for my music and books
it was the 4gb ram that makes it look good
should be fast
Big Fat Frosty

Postby NastyNickers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:
Goodwife wrote:
Big Fat Frosty wrote:
jp761 wrote:
seems versitile

if anything goes wrong

64gb is ample for my music and books
it was the 4gb ram that makes it look good
should be fast

Yeah it’s more than enough. 64gb should hold around what.. 15k songs? Ebooks are even smaller, so you’d pack tens of thousands on 64gb.
Factor in the storage you’ll use for other things, still plenty of space.
NastyNickers

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug