Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Electronics/Gadgets you own and love. Items you want.

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 pm

yea im gonna buy it
it fills the gap tween desktop and cell...
:thumbsup:
Big Fat Frosty

Postby NastyNickers » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:44 pm

Big Fat Frosty wrote:yea im gonna buy it
it fills the gap tween desktop and cell...
:thumbsup:

Looks pretty good for what you need to me! And reasonably priced. If you needed more storage, it holds a micro-SDHC. You can pick up 64gb for around a tenner these days.
NastyNickers

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:59 pm

McAz wrote:I have a pair of Ruark MR1 Mk2 linked to a Yamaha sub-woofer. They are wonderful.

Do you think a sub-woofer is necessary for a smallish room with those speakers?

I've just ordered them (the walnut version) on John Lewis after looking them up. They look amazing and exactly what I've been looking for
Avon Barksdale

Postby McAz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
McAz wrote:I have a pair of Ruark MR1 Mk2 linked to a Yamaha sub-woofer. They are wonderful.

I've just ordered them (the walnut version) on John Lewis after looking them up. They look amazing and exactly what I've been looking for

I have the walnut version with the tweed cloth - lovely.

No, you don't really need a sub - they have bass port on the bottom and produce pretty good and tightish bass particularly when sighted on a dense surface.

But if you have a sub - say, for the telly - then it adds a subtle richness to bottom end.
Last edited by McAz on Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McAz

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:04 pm

McAz wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

No, you don't really need a sub - they have bass port on the bottom and produce pretty good and tightish bass particularly when sighted on a dense surface.

Perfect.

Thanks man.
Avon Barksdale

Postby McAz » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:07 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
McAz wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

No, you don't really need a sub - they have bass port on the bottom and produce pretty good and tightish bass particularly when sited on a dense surface.

Perfect.

Thanks man.

But see my addendum above.
McAz

Postby jra » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:33 pm

I'd like to get one of these drones, but the really decent ones cost a fortune. Here is one with a Steadidrone Quadcopter, filming in the local area where I lived when I was a kid and young adult.

Salcombe Week 2014 (Merlin Rocket) - Day 5, Race 9 Start - from Steadidrone Quadcopter

phpBB [video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7EQefv8Cak

I'd like a top of the range DSLR, e.g. Nikon or Canon. Again they cost a fortune.

As an aside, there was a question on The Chase (quiz show). How many masts does a ketch have? I said 2 immediately. If I don't know the answer to that I should shoot myself, being a nautical person. The famous Salcombe Yawl is a type of ketch. The contestant said 3, the chaser said one. :pmsl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salcombe_Yawl
jra

Postby jp761 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:22 pm

McAz wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

But if you have a sub - say, for the telly - then it adds a subtle richness to bottom end.
Yes for TV dramas and movies especially the sub can come into it's own with the lower frequency capabilities. The kind of music most people listen too doesn't actually hit that low on the frequency scale, if people only use the MR1 for music they probably don't really need a sub.
jp761

Postby jp761 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:24 pm

jra wrote:I'd like to get one of these drones, but the really decent ones cost a fortune. Here is one with a Steadidrone Quadcopter, filming in the local area where I lived when I was a kid and young adult.

Salcombe Week 2014 (Merlin Rocket) - Day 5, Race 9 Start - from Steadidrone Quadcopter

phpBB [video]

I'd like a top of the range DSLR, e.g. Nikon or Canon. Again they cost a fortune.

As an aside, there was a question on The Chase (quiz show). How many masts does a ketch have? I said 2 immediately. If I don't know the answer to that I should shoot myself, being a nautical person. The famous Salcombe Yawl is a type of ketch. The contestant said 3, the chaser said one. :pmsl:

it would be fun. How expensive for a decent drone? And you lived in Salcombe, wow lucky you.
jp761

Postby Keyser » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:57 pm

A more modern phone.

Keyser

Postby jp761 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:20 pm

Keyser wrote:A more modern phone.

My Nan could do with that the numbers are nice and clear she probably won't be able to lift it though.
jp761

Postby Keyser » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:40 pm

jp761 wrote:

My Nan could do with that the numbers are nice and clear she probably won't be able to lift it though.

It still looks rather stylish 34 years on.

At least I think so.
Keyser

Postby jp761 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:46 pm

Keyser wrote:
jp761 wrote:

It still looks rather stylish 34 years on.

At least I think so.
Nothing wrong with having a phone like Del Boy in 2018.
jp761

Postby Avon Barksdale » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:08 am

McAz wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
McAz wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

No, you don't really need a sub - they have bass port on the bottom and produce pretty good and tightish bass particularly when sited on a dense surface.

Perfect.

Thanks man.

But see my addendum above.

Noted.

I don’t have a sub woofer but might be tempted in the future. The speakers got delivered yesterday but I was at friends all day so haven’t tried them out yet but soon!
Avon Barksdale

Postby jra » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:54 am

jp761 wrote:
jra wrote:I'd like to get one of these drones, but the really decent ones cost a fortune. Here is one with a Steadidrone Quadcopter, filming in the local area where I lived when I was a kid and young adult.

phpBB [video]

it would be fun. How expensive for a decent drone? And you lived in Salcombe, wow lucky you.

I lived in the area for the best part of 21 years and had free reign of an area of countryside 2.5 miles x 2.5 miles in size (estimated), 300 yards away from the nearest water and 150 yards away from a farm. Most bases covered really. My Dad knew the landowner, so both Dad and I didn't need to worry about trespassing.

As for Steadidrone, a battery is being sold for $179 on Amazon, so you can imagine the full model isn't going to be cheap. No doubt there are cheaper makes which are pretty good.
jra

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug