Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Art-U-Like

Postby Keyser » Sat May 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Gabby wrote:Stairway to Heaven.... :wubbers:

Reminds me of a song... :gigglesnshit:
Keyser

Postby Gerst » Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm

Four watercolours by Emil Nolde, an expressionist painter and a later member of Die Brücke (The Bridge) group of artists. Bit of a Nazi too, unfortunately, though the Nazis banned him from painting when they came to power.

Chamelions

Calla Lilies, Anemone and Gerbera

Black Stork, Herons

Irises and Poppies
Gerst

Postby Gerst » Sun May 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Boston City Hall

I like this, though feel I really shouldn't. It's an example of the architectural style known as Brutalism. I think it works here because it is isolated and so has its own space, so it's like looking at an Aztec carving or Benin sculpture, and it is supported by the style of the surrounding buildings. This sort of architecture is a disaster though when stuck in an old, jostling and rainy city like London (think of the Barbican Centre or the Hayward Gallery).
Gerst

Postby HobbitFeet » Mon May 21, 2018 8:42 am

some of the work I do is involved with the ACI (concrete) so I get to peruse lots of brutalism material, I absolutely love it - it's truly ugly-beautiful
HobbitFeet
Site Admin

Postby Gerst » Tue May 22, 2018 1:25 pm

HobbitFeet wrote:some of the work I do is involved with the ACI (concrete) so I get to peruse lots of brutalism material, I absolutely love it - it's truly ugly-beautiful

Ugly-beautiful is a good description of brutalist buildings. I like them as spectacular concrete sculptures, but think they tend to be horribly failed environments at street level, with windswept concourses, sometimes full of puddles, or like the red brick wasteland in the pic above.
Gerst

Postby malamute » Tue May 22, 2018 1:53 pm

Gerst wrote:NN's thread is for people's own artwork, so I thought I'd do one for other people's art: paintings, illustrations, photographs, sculpture, architecture...

Here's six pics from London By Night by Harold Burdekin, showing parts of London in the 30s, before the Blitz.

I have a book “London in the Thirties” Bill Brandt. Black and white photos of homes, street, characters and shops in London during that period. It’s fantastic.
malamute

Postby Vicky » Tue May 22, 2018 4:00 pm

This is a cross stitch kit by Paula Vaughan called 'Through a mother's eyes'

I've never stitched it but i think it's beautiful.
Vicky

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed May 23, 2018 10:51 pm

Gerst wrote:Image
Boston City Hall

I like this, though feel I really shouldn't. It's an example of the architectural style known as Brutalism. I think it works here because it is isolated and so has its own space, so it's like looking at an Aztec carving or Benin sculpture, and it is supported by the style of the surrounding buildings. This sort of architecture is a disaster though when stuck in an old, jostling and rainy city like London (think of the Barbican Centre or the Hayward Gallery).

It just needs some trees or bushes to stop it looking so depressing.
Lady Murasaki

Postby measurer » Sun May 27, 2018 9:34 am

Last night's sunset.
Attachments
33598419_10214017239798313_6973112063434424320_n.jpg
measurer

Postby Gerst » Sun May 27, 2018 11:43 am

Nice pic. If you actually sit and watch a sunset it's amazing how quickly it changes, though you can never quite see it changing...
When he was a very old man, the painter Turner used to be helped on to the roof of his house in Chelsea each day to watch the sun rise or set.
Gerst

Postby Keyser » Sun May 27, 2018 9:18 pm

Posted this on the science thread - some paleo-art today is really superb, from photorealism to hugely atmospheric - like this wonderful example.

Sue - The fallen Tyrant. :cuppaT:

Keyser

Postby Gerst » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:04 pm

malamute wrote:I have a book “London in the Thirties” Bill Brandt. Black and white photos of homes, street, characters and shops in London during that period. It’s fantastic.

I used to have that book too - very gritty, dark photos, quite a few burned darker in the printing process, iirc. I used to collect photography books of London, but sold most of them off eventually.
Gerst

Postby Gerst » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:03 pm

Picasso's Guernica in 3D

Gerst

Postby McAz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:05 pm

Gerst wrote:Picasso's Guernica in 3D

I had a huge poster of Guernica in my room as kid - to this day I have no clear idea why I find it captivating.

Good video.
McAz

Postby Gerst » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:04 pm

McAz wrote:I had a huge poster of Guernica in my room as kid - to this day I have no clear idea why I find it captivating.

Good video.

Even people not that keen on Picasso tend to admit this one is something special. It took him about six weeks, locked away in his studio, and there is an interesting series of photographs by his squeeze at the time, Dora Maar, showing how he changed things around along the way:

Gerst

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug