Which foods would you miss most if you emigrated?

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Which foods would you miss most if you emigrated?

Postby hummingbird nli » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Stooo wrote:
hummingbird nli wrote:That's the point I think Ray is making, yes you could if you wanted to seek out your fav expat foods abroad, but the prices are silly, so you'd probably not have them.
For me a good cup of tea.....yes I know you can get pg tips (other brands maybe preferred) but the water and milk used also add to the final flavour. I suppose I would get used to the different taste of the water and milk eventually, but all the same...... :cuppaT:

Sorry, OT: I understand that you are having problems with staying logged in. Can you explain them to me please? :smilin:

Hi.
When I use my tablet, I arrive at the main index page and log in. It swaps to the page that thanks me for logging in and then swiftly swaps back to the main index page with me logged back out again.
No problems on my lap top, but not tried on my phone as don't tend to browse on that.....too old and short sighted these days.
hummingbird nli

Postby Stooo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:45 pm

hummingbird nli wrote:
Stooo wrote:
hummingbird nli wrote:That's the point I think Ray is making, yes you could if you wanted to seek out your fav expat foods abroad, but the prices are silly, so you'd probably not have them.
For me a good cup of tea.....yes I know you can get pg tips (other brands maybe preferred) but the water and milk used also add to the final flavour. I suppose I would get used to the different taste of the water and milk eventually, but all the same...... :cuppaT:

Sorry, OT: I understand that you are having problems with staying logged in. Can you explain them to me please? :smilin:

Hi.
When I use my tablet, I arrive at the main index page and log in. It swaps to the page that thanks me for logging in and then swiftly swaps back to the main index page with me logged back out again.
No problems on my lap top, but not tried on my phone as don't tend to browse on that.....too old and short sighted these days.

What tablet are you using?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby calitom » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:03 pm

McAz wrote:
Ray of Sunshine wrote:Monterrey Jack is not really a fair comparison is it?

It's the most popular cheese in America along with cheddar, must be hundreds of producers.

Anyway did you miss the "nice threads only, no trolling" bit or what?

Of course it is, there's Monterrey Jack and then there's generic Monterrey Jack - just as there's Cheddar and there's generic Cheddar. Try not to judge everyone by your standards, Ray - we are not all peasants you know. :snooty:

In practically every supermarket in the uSA now they have large cheese sections with cheese from around the world. The pricier chains
have enormous selections. I love the british cheeses,spanish and countless others. Same with beer/ale
calitom

Postby calitom » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 pm

But back to the question...within the USA I already miss the pizza from my hometown of Buffalo NY.Nothing in california like it.
Also REAL Buffalo Buffalo wings are something I already miss but what i woul have missed leavingh western new york state for say ..the UK.
Overall though I really think I would be perfectly happy with the cuisine of any country in Europe.
calitom

Postby calitom » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:13 pm

jra wrote:
Holly wrote:Thank God I can usually get the food I like in just about every Country...but would I emigrate to a middle Eastern Country, I would definitely miss my pork...I love pork in every variation...Sausages, chops, roasts, pies, crackling, salami, ham etc... :drool:

You're originally from Germany aren't you? I'm hearing you. Love German cuisine personally.

Frankfurters, pickled fish (e.g. Bismarck herring) and of course lager Pilsen beer (not the mostly shit English stuff).

Polish cuisine usually works well for me, but the meat quality IMO is sometimes below par.

A large part of Poland used to be part of Germany before the great war(s) IIRC, so there is a large overlap in cuisine. And Pilsen is now in the Czech Republic (formerly Czechoslovakia), also a former part of Germany IIRC.

My hometown of Buffalo NY is very very Polish .They have polish parades and a citywide celebration called DINGUS DAY

calitom

Postby measurer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:16 pm

calitom wrote:But back to the question...within the USA I already miss the pizza from my hometown of Buffalo NY.Nothing in california like it.
Also REAL Buffalo Buffalo wings are something I already miss but what i woul have missed leavingh western new york state for say ..the UK.
Overall though I really think I would be perfectly happy with the cuisine of any country in Europe.

You would be fine here now Tom, as the UK has become very Americanised. Had it been say 40 yrs ago, it would have felt like stepping back into the dark ages, but not so now. I do miss A&B root beer though! No decent root beer here - you can order it but the shipping can be prohibitive.
Oh and I miss the Dairy Maid!!! (Never eat ice cream now).
measurer

Postby calitom » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:30 pm

measurer wrote:
calitom wrote:But back to the question...within the USA I already miss the pizza from my hometown of Buffalo NY.Nothing in california like it.

You would be fine here now Tom, as the UK has become very Americanised. Had it been say 40 yrs ago, it would have felt like stepping back into the dark ages, but not so now. I do miss A&B root beer though! No decent root beer here - you can order it but the shipping can be prohibitive.

was dairyMaid canadian?? i dont remember that in the usa
calitom

Postby jra » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:06 am

measurer wrote:

Luckily one thing we haven't yet imported from the USA, unlike many other things, not necessarily for the better, is their gun culture.
jra

Postby calitom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:59 pm

jra wrote:
measurer wrote:

Luckily one thing we haven't yet imported from the USA, unlike many other things, not necessarily for the better, is their gun culture.

If you take away suicide and drug dealers in big city ghettos shooting eachother---deaths from guns in the usa is very low.The gun culture mostly involves hunters and range shooters.
calitom

Postby jra » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:18 am

calitom wrote:
jra wrote:
measurer wrote:

If you take away suicide and drug dealers in big city ghettos shooting eachother---deaths from guns in the usa is very low.The gun culture mostly involves hunters and range shooters.

Whatever the reason, deaths to humans from gun shots is far higher than in the UK.

Not even our police routinely carry guns, let alone the overage citizen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... By_country

Don't get me wrong, there are far worse countries for homicide rates, but because of our strict gun laws it is pretty low in the UK (170 in the list of world countries), but 5x higher in the USA (87 in the list of world countries).
jra

Postby Hummingbird » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:17 am

Stooo wrote:
hummingbird nli wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Hi.

What tablet are you using?

Hi Stooo, apologies for the delay in replying, holiday and other stuff....
Anyway, it is a Galaxy Tab A, about 4 years old, Don't expect you to do anything, just was more of a question than anything.
Hummingbird

Postby Hummingbird » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:20 am

measurer wrote:

I love root beer. I have ordered a pack of 24 from amazon before. but its not cheap.
Hummingbird

Postby Gabby » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:14 pm

I could emigrate to Canada just for their Cheezies.... our version of Wotsits, only crunchier and more cheesy :wubwub:
Gabby

Postby Nucks » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:07 pm

Gabby wrote:I could emigrate to Canada just for their Cheezies.... our version of Wotsits, only crunchier and more cheesy :wubwub:

Cheezies are nice! :mrgreen:

These are the tastiest snack food I’ve ever had.

Honey mustard and onion pretzel pieces :drool:

Nucks

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 pm

I don't know if you've seen Psych but there's loads of product placement for Snyders on there.

Not tried them myself but some Tesco Extra stores have some Snyders stuff.
Ray of Sunshine

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug