Did you, or do you remember

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:54 pm

willy_no_more wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:
Guest wrote:Frowned upon if your doorstep wasn't clean.

Image

Empty milk bottles too.


Full milk bottles with cream at the top.

often the tops pecked at by the birds.

I used to love the bottled orange juice from the milkman but expensive so it was a rare treat.


:pmsl: it was years before I found out about the birds. I thought it was the milkman with clumsy thumbs. Orange juice was wholesome. Drink more of it nowa days. Still prefer an orange with a thick skin.
User avatar
art0hur0moh
 
Posts: 4658
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby jra » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 am

Nucks wrote:
Guest wrote:
Nucks wrote:
Guest wrote:Frowned upon if your doorstep wasn't clean.

Image

Empty milk bottles too.


Is that Ronnie Barker? :ooer:

And I can confirm that vinegar is still the best glass cleaner, bar none. :thumbsup: Dunno about newspaper, do people still buy them? :gigglesnshit:

Such a hurtful comment, she's my gran. :bawlin:


:oops: Sorry

:gigglesnshit:

When I was a kid:
only 3 channels on tv and no remote :gigglesnshit:
people smoked everywhere :pukeup:
rotary dial phones
nearly every kid walked to school unless they lived far away and took a bus
we went home for lunch
soda was a treat
people rarely ate while walking about
no helmets while riding bicycles
no seat belts


Sums it up pretty well. No health and safety shit compared with these days.

I was brought up in the countryside and we did just anything you could get away with along with your mates.

Good times. And I'm still here to tell the tale.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 14746
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby jra » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:31 am

art0hur0moh wrote:
willy_no_more wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:
Guest wrote:Frowned upon if your doorstep wasn't clean.

Image

Empty milk bottles too.


Full milk bottles with cream at the top.

often the tops pecked at by the birds.

I used to love the bottled orange juice from the milkman but expensive so it was a rare treat.


:pmsl: it was years before I found out about the birds. I thought it was the milkman with clumsy thumbs. Orange juice was wholesome. Drink more of it nowa days. Still prefer an orange with a thick skin.


Milkmen used to leave glass bottles outside the door and sometimes blue tits (the birds) used to peck through the foil to get to the cream at the top of the bottle. I remember metal milk canisters which were left on stone slabs by the road near farms for the milk lorry to take away.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 14746
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby jra » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:38 am

willy_no_more wrote:
Nucks wrote:
Guest wrote:
Nucks wrote:
Guest wrote:Frowned upon if your doorstep wasn't clean.

Image

Empty milk bottles too.


Is that Ronnie Barker? :ooer:

And I can confirm that vinegar is still the best glass cleaner, bar none. :thumbsup: Dunno about newspaper, do people still buy them? :gigglesnshit:

Such a hurtful comment, she's my gran. :bawlin:


:oops: Sorry

:gigglesnshit:

When I was a kid:
only 3 channels on tv and no remote :gigglesnshit:
people smoked everywhere :pukeup:
rotary dial phones
nearly every kid walked to school unless they lived far away and took a bus
we went home for lunch
soda was a treat
people rarely ate while walking about
no helmets while riding bicycles
no seat belts


just joshing :gigglesnshit: haven't a clue who the old dear is.

lunch - school dinners for me, I remember the smell of cabbage wafting throughout the school all day.

school milk - warm in the summer and iced up during the winter.

we used to have a 'mobi', a tatty little van which visited our street every evening where we could buy black jacks, fruit salads (4 for a penny iirc) and other teeth rotting chews. the 'pop man' visiting once a week, a treat.

threepenny bits.

anyone owning a car in our street was thought of as rich.

front room only used on a Sunday.

'steery' - a go-cart usually made from old pram wheels, wood from scrounged old doors and string to steer. no brakes :yikes:

Sunday best clothes.

'looseys' - when you could buy cigs loose from the corner shop.


I made my own pram go kart and went around blind corners at speed. At the time there were only about half a dozen cars passing the house all day. We also used to ride bicycles around blind corners all over the place, i.e. country lanes. You obviously can't do that nowadays unless you have a death wish.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 14746
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Nucks wrote:
Guest wrote:
Nucks wrote:
Guest wrote:Frowned upon if your doorstep wasn't clean.

Image

Empty milk bottles too.


Is that Ronnie Barker? :ooer:

And I can confirm that vinegar is still the best glass cleaner, bar none. :thumbsup: Dunno about newspaper, do people still buy them? :gigglesnshit:

Such a hurtful comment, she's my gran. :bawlin:


:oops: Sorry

:gigglesnshit:

When I was a kid:
only 3 channels on tv and no remote :gigglesnshit:
people smoked everywhere :pukeup:
rotary dial phones
nearly every kid walked to school unless they lived far away and took a bus
we went home for lunch
soda was a treat
people rarely ate while walking about
no helmets while riding bicycles
no seat belts


When I was a kid:
Only one channel on the telly and no remote.
People especially kids didn't have bottles of water everywhere they went and guess what we didn't dehydrate!
Out after breakfast and not home till the sun went down.
No food no water.
The streets belonged to the kids.
We played football tennis cricket rounders and more in the streets.
Now the streets are lined with millions of quids worth of shiny metal and woe betide any kid kicking or chucking a ball near them.
The kids lost the streets.
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 6790
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Did you have Kali?

Used to love that stuff and thanks to the internet you can get it again.

https://www.monmoreconfectionery.co.uk/ ... erbet-kali
User avatar
Ray of Sunshine
 
Posts: 4353
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:47 am

had an excellent debate with My Son this evening. Daughter watching Her programs as We delved into the course of Human history, Anthropological cultural and Ethnicity. I was telling Him about the early days of satellite communication over distances. when We would watch an interview, and have to wait a few seconds for the response. A bit later He defined His thoughts on french history. They have been defeated in every war and the one time the win, they burn the architect of Their victories. He just can't get over the maginaal line, : D I get the feeling it will be a recurring theme?
User avatar
art0hur0moh
 
Posts: 4658
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby art0hur0moh » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:53 pm

it is remarkable how elaborate imaginations girls have. highly structured with complicated social rules, it has taken Me a while to manage to interact but I am getting there. currently, I am the head teacher and can't remember half the names. I just about manage the four main characters :pmsl:
User avatar
art0hur0moh
 
Posts: 4658
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby jra » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:13 am

Hummingbird wrote:
Nucks wrote:no seat belts


Do you remember Jimmy Saville doing the 'Clunk Click Every Trip' advert?
In hindsight, such a poor choice..... :paranoid:


He also did adverts for the introduction of the HST (Intercity 125). 'This is the age of the train', IIRC.

And then there was Jim'll Fix It.

Nucks wrote:When I was a kid:
only 3 channels on tv and no remote :gigglesnshit:
people smoked everywhere :pukeup:
rotary dial phones
nearly every kid walked to school unless they lived far away and took a bus
we went home for lunch
soda was a treat
people rarely ate while walking about
no helmets while riding bicycles
no seat belts


All that, other than going home for lunch, as the school was too far away.

Half pence pieces, old five and ten pence pieces, one pound notes.

10p stamps were all you needed to send a letter.

No mobile phones, internet, tablets etc.

Dial up broadband.

Paraffin lamps.

Frequent power cuts (sometimes lasting days) in the countryside.

Being snowed in for a week, in south Devon :yikes: . 1980/81 IIRC.

The mother of all heatwaves (summer 1976).

The great storm (1987).

Red telephone boxes even in large urban areas.

It took 4 hours getting from Totnes to London by train until the Class 43 (HST) arrived, shaving a whole hour off the travel time.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 14746
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby jra » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:32 am

willy_no_more wrote:
just joshing :gigglesnshit: haven't a clue who the old dear is.

lunch - school dinners for me, I remember the smell of cabbage wafting throughout the school all day.

school milk - warm in the summer and iced up during the winter.

we used to have a 'mobi', a tatty little van which visited our street every evening where we could buy black jacks, fruit salads (4 for a penny iirc) and other teeth rotting chews. the 'pop man' visiting once a week, a treat.

threepenny bits.

anyone owning a car in our street was thought of as rich.

front room only used on a Sunday.

'steery' - a go-cart usually made from old pram wheels, wood from scrounged old doors and string to steer. no brakes :yikes:

Sunday best clothes.

'looseys' - when you could buy cigs loose from the corner shop.


I made a 'steery'. One of our corner shops still sells 'looseys'. We also had the equivalent of a 'mobi' down my way at the time.

A few more.

Sheep dips.

Milk churns you put on to a stone ledge waiting for collection by a lorry.

Rectangular straw bails chucked out the back of a combine harvester.

Buses which could barely get up a steep hill and had manual gears.

Rotary dial telephones. Shared private telephone lines.

Mainframe computers (a whole room filled with big boxes, e.g. the size of a big fridge freezer).

MS DOS (predecessor to MS Windows) operating system.

Lighthouse foghorns.

Cassette tapes.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 14746
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 am

In groups of maybe half a dozen we hummed and whistled this tune for weeks on the walk to school.
This is where electronic/synthesizer music began for me .....
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 6790
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby art0hur0moh » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:17 am

jra wrote:
Hummingbird wrote:
Nucks wrote:no seat belts


Do you remember Jimmy Saville doing the 'Clunk Click Every Trip' advert?
In hindsight, such a poor choice..... :paranoid:


He also did adverts for the introduction of the HST (Intercity 125). 'This is the age of the train', IIRC.

And then there was Jim'll Fix It.

Nucks wrote:When I was a kid:
only 3 channels on tv and no remote :gigglesnshit:
people smoked everywhere :pukeup:
rotary dial phones
nearly every kid walked to school unless they lived far away and took a bus
we went home for lunch
soda was a treat
people rarely ate while walking about
no helmets while riding bicycles
no seat belts


All that, other than going home for lunch, as the school was too far away.

Half pence pieces, old five and ten pence pieces, one pound notes.

10p stamps were all you needed to send a letter.

No mobile phones, internet, tablets etc.

Dial up broadband.

Paraffin lamps.

Frequent power cuts (sometimes lasting days) in the countryside.

Being snowed in for a week, in south Devon :yikes: . 1980/81 IIRC.

The mother of all heatwaves (summer 1976).

The great storm (1987).

Red telephone boxes even in large urban areas.

It took 4 hours getting from Totnes to London by train until the Class 43 (HST) arrived, shaving a whole hour off the travel time.


a couple of nights ago We noticed the last phone box in the town is no more. I do remember some People using a paraffin cooker growing up.
User avatar
art0hur0moh
 
Posts: 4658
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:15 am

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby Vicks » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:42 am

Arfur :Hiya:

I hope all is well with you my friend.

All the best for 2019 and Lang May Yer Lum Reek!!

:wubbers: xx
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68328
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby jra » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:59 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:In groups of maybe half a dozen we hummed and whistled this tune for weeks on the walk to school.
This is where electronic/synthesizer music began for me .....


Yes. However, they are categorized as an instrumental group, not an electronic/synthesizer group.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 14746
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: Did you, or do you remember

Postby jra » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:01 am

art0hur0moh wrote:
jra wrote:
Hummingbird wrote:
Nucks wrote:no seat belts


Do you remember Jimmy Saville doing the 'Clunk Click Every Trip' advert?
In hindsight, such a poor choice..... :paranoid:


He also did adverts for the introduction of the HST (Intercity 125). 'This is the age of the train', IIRC.

And then there was Jim'll Fix It.

Nucks wrote:When I was a kid:
only 3 channels on tv and no remote :gigglesnshit:
people smoked everywhere :pukeup:
rotary dial phones
nearly every kid walked to school unless they lived far away and took a bus
we went home for lunch
soda was a treat
people rarely ate while walking about
no helmets while riding bicycles
no seat belts


All that, other than going home for lunch, as the school was too far away.

Half pence pieces, old five and ten pence pieces, one pound notes.

10p stamps were all you needed to send a letter.

No mobile phones, internet, tablets etc.

Dial up broadband.

Paraffin lamps.

Frequent power cuts (sometimes lasting days) in the countryside.

Being snowed in for a week, in south Devon :yikes: . 1980/81 IIRC.

The mother of all heatwaves (summer 1976).

The great storm (1987).

Red telephone boxes even in large urban areas.

It took 4 hours getting from Totnes to London by train until the Class 43 (HST) arrived, shaving a whole hour off the travel time.


a couple of nights ago We noticed the last phone box in the town is no more. I do remember some People using a paraffin cooker growing up.


Sometimes you see a red telephone box, but there is no phone in it, left as a monument. Apparently some of these boxes are very valuable. I saw a red telephone box in Cherbourg and I've seen them painted yellow in south Wales. Do you remember the old coin mechanisms, which often got jammed with a coin?
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 14746
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests