The Hope I Don't Die Half Marathon Training Thread

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: The Hope I Don't Die Half Marathon Training Thread

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:23 pm

^^^ Cheers NN.

If I can keep myself injury free it's looking good!
Avon Barksdale

Postby Niv » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:04 pm

Good one Avon, glad you're back into the swing of things. A break can refuel and perk you up.
You can do this :hap:
Niv

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 pm

Nivarna wrote:Good one Avon, glad you're back into the swing of things. A break can refuel and perk you up.
You can do this :hap:

Cheers.

Yeah, a strategic break never hurts (unless you never go back to training that is because you get lazy.)
Avon Barksdale

Postby banana chewits » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:56 pm

any updates, avon?
banana chewits

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:00 pm

banana chewits wrote:any updates, avon?

Update coming tomorrow as I'm time strapped today.

All good though!
Avon Barksdale

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:36 pm

Week 10 of the training plan completed (can it be 10 weeks already?)

There wasn't any variation with the 3 sessions last week: 3 intervals of 15 minutes running with 1 minute rest between each block. I made the same mistake with pacing on all 3 runs by going out too hard in the first 30 minutes and then spending the last 15 minute run crying for it to be over. That will learn me (probably not though.)

Diet remains generally good although last weekend wasn't the greatest in the world as went out drinking on Saturday night with friends (went to a bar which has table tennis tables for hire which was ludicrously good fun) and then for an early dinner at the pub with the fam on Sunday. However the excess calories are clearly offset to some degree by the running as my clothes still wear just fine (which is good as many of my clothes are fitted.)

No injuries or niggles to report.

Till the next time dear reader.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Niv » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:Week 10 of the training plan completed (can it be 10 weeks already?)

There wasn't any variation with the 3 sessions last week: 3 intervals of 15 minutes running with 1 minute rest between each block. I made the same mistake with pacing on all 3 runs by going out too hard in the first 30 minutes and then spending the last 15 minute run crying for it to be over. That will learn me (probably not though.)

Diet remains generally good although last weekend wasn't the greatest in the world as went out drinking on Saturday night with friends (went to a bar which has table tennis tables for hire which was ludicrously good fun) and then for an early dinner at the pub with the fam on Sunday. However the excess calories are clearly offset to some degree by the running as my clothes still wear just fine (which is good as many of my clothes are fitted.)

No injuries or niggles to report.

Till the next time dear reader.

10 weeks?????? :yikes: Gosh, doesn't time fly when you're having fun :Hiya:

Looks like you're well on track :yess:

Keep going fella, we're all behind you :hap: ( well I'm not, I'm eating a Kit Kat) You know what I'm mean though :thumbsup: ... Onwards, and upwards :wink:
Niv

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:39 pm

Nivarna wrote:
Keep going fella, we're all behind you :hap: ( well I'm not, I'm eating a Kit Kat)

Hahahahaha

Thanks for the support. I looked back and I started this thread when I had finished my 2nd week of the app (so it's been going for 8 weeks) and I was just about managing 1.5 minutes running at a time. Amazing what a bit of consistency and time does and the improvements come quick in the beginning.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Niv » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:49 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Nivarna wrote:
Keep going fella, we're all behind you :hap: ( well I'm not, I'm eating a Kit Kat)

Hahahahaha

Thanks for the support. I looked back and I started this thread when I had finished my 2nd week of the app (so it's been going for 8 weeks) and I was just about managing 1.5 minutes running at a time. Amazing what a bit of consistency and time does and the improvements come quick in the beginning.

It's the absolute right way to do it, many make the mistake of trying to do too much too soon, you're doing great!

I'll even give you a bit of my Kit Kat as a reward :smilin:
Niv

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:01 pm

Finished week 11 of the training plan over the weekend.

The structure was the same as last week with all three runs following the same pattern: 3 intervals of 17 minutes running with 1 minute rest between each block (a step up from the 15 minute ones from the week before.) I'm still having difficulty with pacing as I tend to go a little too hard on the first 2 running intervals and suffer on the last one. The increased running is also making sufficient recovery an issue as my leg muscles still ache a little by the time the next session rolls around and I need lots of sleep. Week 12 (the one coming up) increases to 18 minutes per block which should be manageable and Week 13 the overall volume falls so hopefully this should help with any recovery issues. I could probably do with eating a little more to fuel my running properly.

Diet is still going well though. I had a relatively quiet weekend with no boozing. I had a lovely meal from Chicken Shop (a posher version of Nandos) with the fam on Sunday where I demolished everything in sight but other than that I stayed on plan.

My bone conduction headphones are due to be delivered today which should mean I won't get run over by pesky trams any time soon so things are on track.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Niv » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:Finished week 11 of the training plan over the weekend.

The structure was the same as last week with all three runs following the same pattern: 3 intervals of 17 minutes running with 1 minute rest between each block (a step up from the 15 minute ones from the week before.) I'm still having difficulty with pacing as I tend to go a little too hard on the first 2 running intervals and suffer on the last one. The increased running is also making sufficient recovery an issue as my leg muscles still ache a little by the time the next session rolls around and I need lots of sleep. Week 12 (the one coming up) increases to 18 minutes per block which should be manageable and Week 13 the overall volume falls so hopefully this should help with any recovery issues. I could probably do with eating a little more to fuel my running properly.

Diet is still going well though. I had a relatively quiet weekend with no boozing. I had a lovely meal from Chicken Shop (a posher version of Nandos) with the fam on Sunday where I demolished everything in sight but other than that I stayed on plan.

My bone conduction headphones are due to be delivered today which should mean I won't get run over by pesky trams any time soon so things are on track.

Things look great!

As you say, regulating and tweaking the pacing issue will help. Eating more will help too, it'll fuel things better.

Keep going, you're doing fantastic!

Good luck with the headphones, and yes avoid those trams! :thumbsup:
Niv

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Brief update: week 12 completed of the training plan. Bossed it.

Longer update next week.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Brief update again (cos I am stupidly busy these days): Week 13 done.

The last session was 30 minutes running, 1 minutes rest, 30 minutes running which I did without getting run over, falling over or crying. It was hard but manageable.

Not looking forward to this week as it involves 2 sessions with 60 minutes running followed by a 10k in the last session! Realistically I'll only be able to manage two runs this week due to time constraints so may have to put the 10k on hold but I have a bit of slack before I start a proper 12 week half marathon training plan so all good.

Onwards to victory!
Avon Barksdale

Postby banana chewits » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:53 pm

you're making me feel very unfit.
banana chewits

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:49 pm

banana chewits wrote:you're making me feel very unfit.

Have you tried running? It's very good for CV fitness I hear.

Looking back from the start of the thread to now it's amazing how far I've come in terms of fitness and weight loss. I can run for 60 minutes (at least I should be able to) and sit comfortably within a healthy weight band.

Consistency + effort + time = success.
Avon Barksdale

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug