The Hope I Don't Die Half Marathon Training Thread

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: The Hope I Don't Die Half Marathon Training Thread

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:25 am

Cheers everyone.

@Nirvarna (holy typo Batman) that's a good idea about letting lots of people know. It might help with the endless "you're not drinking?!?!" and "you will, you will, you will, you will come out for burgers" and "have a slice of cake fatboy" comments.

@Meg - C25k / 10k is a great programme. I'm using the ZenLabs version which is an easy to use interface which I can play my music through and follow the instructions which the lady shouts in my ear. Zombie Runs is supposed to be fun as well.

I think low carb and running would be a bit sucky for me but cleaning up my diet by swapping out high calorie / low nutrient ratio food is definitely occurring so my overall carb intake (which was a little insane before) is lowering naturally as a result of eating more vegetables instead of cake! I'm not a fan of fizzy drinks generally but the booze is going down as well (errrrr, except for tonight when I am going to the pub.)

@Nucks - thanks lady. I think walking is great exercise for CV health too so keep healthy!
Avon Barksdale

Postby Sundaze » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Nice one Avon.

I did the great North run a few years ago and while I did train for it I do wish I put just that little but more effort into prepping for it
Sundaze

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:54 pm

Sundaze wrote:Nice one Avon.

I did the great North run a few years ago and while I did train for it I do wish I put just that little but more effort into prepping for it

The Great North Run looks amazing despite being a ridiculously big event.

If you could list 3 things you could have added to your training which could have improved your experience what would they be?
Avon Barksdale

Postby Niv » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:28 pm

Avon, it wasn't a typo :bawlin: It's an anagram of my name :shame: My talents for anagramming are clearly wasted on here :laughing:

Tell everyone you know... They'll pounce on you, before a morsel is even looked at :yess:

Down side is, they'll bore the nads off you telling about their diets, and healthy eating plans. There's a lot to be said mixed leaves.

Keep strong!... I sense you're no quitter :hap:
Niv

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Nivarna wrote:Avon, it wasn't a typo :bawlin: It's an anagram of my name :shame: My talents for anagramming are clearly wasted on here :laughing:

Tell everyone you know... They'll pounce on you, before a morsel is even looked at :yess:

Down side is, they'll bore the nads off you telling about their diets, and healthy eating plans. There's a lot to be said mixed leaves.

Keep strong!... I sense you're no quitter :hap:

Ohhhh, you should have just said you name was Ana Gram! Pleased to meet you Ana.

I'm not sure I need a dozen babysitters watching everything I eat but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Barring injury or the apocalypse I'm sure I'll finish the half. I'm very stubborn when I want to be...
Avon Barksdale

Postby Niv » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Thankfully my parents weren't that cruel :Hiya:

You can never have too many babysitters :hap:

It's a pleasure to meet you too, and stubborn is good. I'm told I am too :shame: Myself, I prefer determined :gigglesnshit:
Niv

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:14 pm

Nivarna wrote: Myself, I prefer determined :gigglesnshit:

Good choice!

Second run of Week 4 tonight. I'm a bit knackered due to some early starts and work but I'm sure I'll manage to lumber round the park.

Wish me luck ;)
Avon Barksdale

Postby Niv » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:50 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:

Good choice!

Second run of Week 4 tonight. I'm a bit knackered due to some early starts and work but I'm sure I'll manage to lumber round the park.

Wish me luck ;)

You'll feel revitalised once you get going :hap:

Good luck!
Niv

Postby banana chewits » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:

Good choice!

Wish me luck ;)

you'll need to run round twice to burn off that karamel sutra. :shake head:
banana chewits

Postby Niv » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:28 pm

banana chewits wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

Good choice!

Wish me luck ;)

I'd only need someone running in front of me with a tub of that, I'd qualify for the Olympics :pmsl:
Niv

Postby Avon Barksdale » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 pm

banana chewits wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

Good choice!

Wish me luck ;)

Don't worry.

I'll be able to just roll round the park at this rate.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Niv » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
banana chewits wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:

Good choice!

Wish me luck ;)

Don't worry.

I'll be able to just roll round the park at this rate.

We've all seen your munchings in the 'food' thread. Fancy pasta dishes, and inviting everyone round to sample your wine fridge.

I think we're going to have to take you in hand :grub:

If you have any ice-cream going spare,I'll have it :Hiya:
Niv

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:29 pm

Nivarna wrote:
If you have any ice-cream going spare,I'll have it :Hiya:

Well, if you want any booze wander over to mine as I'll have plenty left for a while. After a boozy day watching the cricket on Saturday at the Oval I have sworn off alcohol completely for a month.

That's going to be a challenge as we have tickets for Motown the Musical on Wednesday and friends' leaving party on Saturday but I'm a grown man and I should be able to say "no thanks" at this stage of my life!
Avon Barksdale

Postby Avon Barksdale » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:33 pm

Completed Week 4 of the programme this Sunday. Pretty uneventful as the intervals remain doable although I did almost run into a tree as there were some people filming what looked like a breakdancing video in the park which distracted me somewhat.

The programme really ramps up next week with with the final session involving a 20 minute continuous run. Seems like a big leap up given the intervals this weeks have been 5 minute runs at the most. I'm approaching this week with a certain amount of trepidation but hopefully alls well that ends well.
Avon Barksdale

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:58 am

Completed Week 5, run 2 of the training programme (run 1 was on Tuesday and completed with no issues.)

It involved two intervals of 8 minutes running with a 5 minute walk interval between them (as well as the obligatory warm up & down.) I was feeling subpar before the session and honestly thought I would fall flat on my face. I was very tried due to a combination of the change in diet (note to self: start eating breakfast) work and the fact I went to see Motown: The Musical on Wednesday night so got less sleep than usual. However it seems most of this was mental rather than physical as once I got going things went fine.

Diet is going well with no booze at all this week which I intend to keep up for a month in total. I have cleaned up my other bad habits such as excessive snacking which has really made a difference. My clothes are fitting better already and I am less like a cheese wheel than before.

Final session this week is a big one: 20 minute continuous run.

Have it!
Avon Barksdale

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug