Our mortal coil

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Our mortal coil

Postby calitom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:53 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:
calitom wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:I recall a biblical quote I miss represented many years ago. "let the dead take care of the dead, and Living take care of the Living." I never know who to comfort anyone sometimes Words are helpful, other times the fewer the better. My error in the above quote was I forgot about the second part of the quote. And for many years I was under the impression that it seemed a bit to heartless. a decade later after Childrens grandmother ventured to the other realm, I remembered the rest of the quote.

Jesus said that in response to the man who was making excuses to not follow Him.In the correct translation the phrase that he (the excuse making man) was burying his father didnt mean that it was just that very day.The expression was an old one and meant that he was 'taking care of' his father...and that the burial part was likely somewhere in the not near future.

letting the dead bury the dead was a reference to those spiritually dead. The time was 'now' to follow Jesus...the living referred to those alive in the faith.
This expression in no way meant to abandon or disrespect the mans elderly or sick father.

I take the the teachings of the elders a bit more litteraly. they where smart enough to know that People and time create situations where information is lost or distorted. though You have reminded Me that the quote was in relation to a certain event and context. sounds like Your explination is little more than repentence?

no. i told you exactly what the quote was about. it was very LITERAL looking at the greek translation. Burying you father in those days meant a process--not that you were doing it that day. So therefore that phrase was seen as an excuse. Jesus wanted him to go about the business of the living--which meant following Him immediately.
This was not a teaching of the elders..this was a direct quote of Jesus.
calitom

Postby art0hur0moh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:00 am

calitom wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:
calitom wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:I recall a biblical quote I miss represented many years ago. "let the dead take care of the dead, and Living take care of the Living." I never know who to comfort anyone sometimes Words are helpful, other times the fewer the better. My error in the above quote was I forgot about the second part of the quote. And for many years I was under the impression that it seemed a bit to heartless. a decade later after Childrens grandmother ventured to the other realm, I remembered the rest of the quote.

Jesus said that in response to the man who was making excuses to not follow Him.In the correct translation the phrase that he (the excuse making man) was burying his father didnt mean that it was just that very day.The expression was an old one and meant that he was 'taking care of' his father...and that the burial part was likely somewhere in the not near future.

letting the dead bury the dead was a reference to those spiritually dead. The time was 'now' to follow Jesus...the living referred to those alive in the faith.
This expression in no way meant to abandon or disrespect the mans elderly or sick father.

I take the the teachings of the elders a bit more litteraly. they where smart enough to know that People and time create situations where information is lost or distorted. though You have reminded Me that the quote was in relation to a certain event and context. sounds like Your explination is little more than repentence?

no. i told you exactly what the quote was about. it was very LITERAL looking at the greek translation. Burying you father in those days meant a process--not that you were doing it that day. So therefore that phrase was seen as an excuse. Jesus wanted him to go about the business of the living--which meant following Him immediately.
This was not a teaching of the elders..this was a direct quote of Jesus.

all the true teachings of the past I consider the knowledge of the elders. He was a Roman, so the greek teachings would have been influential at the time. in My estimation, much of His teachings seem to relate to the vedas or buddhist philosophies for the most part.

I heard a talk by Mr Peterson recently where He delved into the forgiving of the Father, and letting HIm rest. still not entirely clear, even with Your explanation. I try focus on the later part of the quote, taking care of the life of OurSelves (which seems to be the focus of the teaching?) and all other Beings.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Mr Eastwood
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:01 pm

killed My Fish about two weeks ago. used bleach to clean the stones, never rinsed it out enough. I knew something was wrong. same with all the fruit flies that end up in the pot, cup or overloaded sink.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:Mr Eastwood

what is wrong with some People? Should have verified the address to what I thought was a cnn report! who hasn't wanted a poncho since they were a kid? I am getting seriously pissed off with these fkn leing scum.

could You delete these two posts please?
art0hur0moh

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:20 pm

I know for a time during my grieving process I felt dead. So let the dead bury the dead has a different meaning to me. And that's the thing with the bible and anything else you read. It's all about your own interpretation of it. No right or wrong because it will mean different things to different people or mean nothing to others.

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:11 am

art0hur0moh wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:Mr Eastwood

what is wrong with some People? Should have verified the address to what I thought was a cnn report! who hasn't wanted a poncho since they were a kid? I am getting seriously pissed off with these fkn leing scum.

could You delete these two posts please?

I try avoid using Words that degrade the Being. it is more scum is an oily residue that is washed down the drain. yet with it the usable water. I think I am in error using that term.

it is a beautiful Day.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:17 am

Guest wrote:I know for a time during my grieving process I felt dead. So let the dead bury the dead has a different meaning to me. And that's the thing with the bible and anything else you read. It's all about your own interpretation of it. No right or wrong because it will mean different things to different people or mean nothing to others.

I think the punctuation in the bible to be very relevant. certainly it is likely I have misinterpreted intent? though, I start with the principle it is the oldest story of Love.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:44 am

art0hur0moh

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug