Xmas Do!

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Xmas Do!

Postby Wilson » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Have you had one?

Nobody in our place would take on the role of organising ours so it was decided we'd just go to the pub after work. then yesterday people started dropping out of that because they're knackered & had too much to do. In the end we had sausage rolls, crisps in a bowl and a plastic cup of Procsecco in the staff room. I was home by 5pm.

We're generally a cheerful bunch but not today apparently! :ooer:

What's yours been like?
Wilson

Re: Xmas Do!

Postby McAz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Oh God, how I hated office dos. Bad food, piss drink, Hi Ho fucking Silver Lining, slobbering women and desperate blokes. Only eclipsed in awfulness by New Year.
McAz

Postby Stooo » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Shudders...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:50 pm

Haven't been to one for years, but the last one I remember they deliberately tried to mix up the seating as much as possible so most of us were sat with people who we only vaguely knew, like a terribly mismatched corporate blind date with no escape. Absolute hell on earth.
Jon

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:20 pm

I’ve never been to a bad Christmas do. But I’m out with some wild friends tomorrow (wild compared to me anyway), so I’ll either end up in prison or a hospital.

It was nice knowing you all. X.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Wilson » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:26 pm

Jon wrote:Haven't been to one for years, but the last one I remember they deliberately tried to mix up the seating as much as possible so most of us were sat with people who we only vaguely knew, like a terribly mismatched corporate blind date with no escape. Absolute hell on earth.

Ooh not good.
I've experienced a few times, that awful moment when you walk in and the only free seat is next to the boss. :kinell:
I'm glad nobody wanted one in our place.
Wilson

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:23 pm

I remember an anecdote by comedian Arthur Smith that bears repeating.

At a corporate 'do' where Smith got the gig he was pretty much on automatic pilot when he picked on a member of the audience, pulled him onto the stage and asked him what he thought of the CEO - whose name Smith dutifully supplied.

This was pretty much standard fayre and it was usually understood that the audience member, from the front row which was full of high executives and corporate Yes-men, would know to say something along the lines of 'great bloke, inspirational, happy to work for him yada yada.' Unfortunately the person Smith picked on had consumed one too many and answered
"He's a C**t"

Ten minutes later the same man was sat on the stairs of the stage having just been dismissed on the spot for gross misconduct - and because the Christmas party entertainment was being recorded for an in house VHS - that's how long ago it was - the poor sucker really had absolutely no defence.

The moral - If you're at the works Christmas party you're still at work
Cactus Jack

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:I’ve never been to a bad Christmas do. But I’m out with some wild friends tomorrow (wild compared to me anyway), so I’ll either end up in prison or a hospital.

You need badge number, name and rank. get a picture of a Police officer in full uniform, and practice Your inebriated response. and don't forget to phone police hq to verify their identities. :gigglesnshit: as for hospital, there have been a few occasions I should have gone but never did. so I do encourage hospital sometimes the slightest of things can seriously disrupt future endeavors. though to not walk off the field without a memento is just not cricket. have a Good one LM.
art0hur0moh

Postby art0hur0moh » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I remember an anecdote by comedian Arthur Smith that bears repeating.

At a corporate 'do' where Smith got the gig he was pretty much on automatic pilot when he picked on a member of the audience, pulled him onto the stage and asked him what he thought of the CEO - whose name Smith dutifully supplied.

This was pretty much standard fayre and it was usually understood that the audience member, from the front row which was full of high executives and corporate Yes-men, would know to say something along the lines of 'great bloke, inspirational, happy to work for him yada yada.' Unfortunately the person Smith picked on had consumed one too many and answered
"He's a C**t"

Ten minutes later the same man was sat on the stairs of the stage having just been dismissed on the spot for gross misconduct - and because the Christmas party entertainment was being recorded for an in house VHS - that's how long ago it was - the poor sucker really had absolutely no defence.

the operative word is "party"! and why People feel the need to give them Selves brain, and liver damage doing the same thing they do each week I find hard to fathom?
art0hur0moh

Postby jra » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:37 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I remember an anecdote by comedian Arthur Smith that bears repeating.

"He's a C**t"

That doesn't sound much like a Christmas party. More like a boring conference meeting, where comas are on the house.
jra

Postby jra » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:40 am

Wilson wrote:Have you had one?

Nobody in our place would take on the role of organising ours so it was decided we'd just go to the pub after work. then yesterday people started dropping out of that because they're knackered & had too much to do. In the end we had sausage rolls, crisps in a bowl and a plastic cup of Procsecco in the staff room. I was home by 5pm.

We're generally a cheerful bunch but not today apparently! :ooer:

What's yours been like?

Most companies are too stingy to put on anything too decent, so you basically ended up with a pub lunch, a bit more to drink and it's nearer to Christmas.

The best Christmas present would be to increase everybody's salaries by at least 5%, as if that is likely to happen.
jra

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:40 pm

art0hur0moh wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:I’ve never been to a bad Christmas do. But I’m out with some wild friends tomorrow (wild compared to me anyway), so I’ll either end up in prison or a hospital.

You need badge number, name and rank. get a picture of a Police officer in full uniform, and practice Your inebriated response. and don't forget to phone police hq to verify their identities. :gigglesnshit: as for hospital, there have been a few occasions I should have gone but never did. so I do encourage hospital sometimes the slightest of things can seriously disrupt future endeavors. though to not walk off the field without a memento is just not cricket. have a Good one LM.

I survived, just. My feet are annoyed at me for wearing heels though.
Great night. :smilin:
Lady Murasaki

Postby art0hur0moh » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:31 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
art0hur0moh wrote:

I survived, just. My feet are annoyed at me for wearing heels though.
Great night. :smilin:

so that's why Women wear heels. self-inflicted suffering so no external influence causes injury? to think, a few hundred years ago it was Men who wore heels.
I had an excellent evening with Daughter. got to get some more decorations today. got those hooks that screw into wood, so I have a few left to put on the ceiling. and maybe a door frame or two? I am saving the crackers to make the chain hingys instead of buying tinsel hingys. thin long chains, I am looking forward to it :canny:
art0hur0moh

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:53 pm

I was forced to wear the heels. It was a warmish evening for December so just as well I didn’t wear my boots.
You’re only just putting decs up now art? Don’t damage your walls/furniture, use those sticky hook thingys.
Lady Murasaki

Postby McAz » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:...If you're at the works Christmas party you're still at work

How very true - I've known careers made and broken at Xmas dos.
McAz

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug