Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby NAA » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:48 am

I shall no doubt finish reading Room today......... it has me thoroughly depressed........... I cant stop thinking of that Austrian freak who had his daughter living in a *Room* in the cellar with the kids he sired......
NAA

Postby PresidentTriste » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:05 pm

I recomment The Shining by Stephen King. Much better than the film and actually has a satisfactory film which descend into chaos at the end! I think the book is spookier than the film if anything!

(BTW drum are you no longer on Bitchfest? I am unable to send you a PM on here and was just being nosy!!!-Hello stranger! :Hiya: )
PresidentTriste

Postby drum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:13 pm

ello you x :Hiya:

The only 2 films made from the books of Stephen King I like are Green Mile and (Rita Hayworth and the) Shawshank Redemption.
Christine and Carrie were oooooooooooooooooook (ish) I can't cope with too much blood as I get older :paranoid:
My favourite book is Thinner, I've had the same tatty copy for years and still readi it often.. I have the film on VHS :yikes: only ever watched it once or twice.. it's shit.

I have yet to sit through the whole screening of The Shining! love the book, can't cope with the film.
I've said this before, but I'm not impressed with his newer novels much, I think he's being ghost written now. I've still not got past the first chapter of Rose Madder (think that was the last one I bought) Loved CELL but have lost that copy.
drum

Postby PresidentTriste » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:21 pm

drum wrote:ello you x :Hiya:

The only 2 films made from the books of Stephen King I like are Green Mile and (Rita Hayworth and the) Shawshank Redemption.
Christine and Carrie were oooooooooooooooooook (ish) I can't cope with too much blood as I get older :paranoid:
My favourite book is Thinner, I've had the same tatty copy for years and still readi it often.. I have the film on VHS :yikes: only ever watched it once or twice.. it's shit.

I have yet to sit through the whole screening of The Shining! love the book, can't cope with the film.
I've said this before, but I'm not impressed with his newer novels much, I think he's being ghost written now. I've still not got past the first chapter of Rose Madder (think that was the last one I bought) Loved CELL but have lost that copy.

I've seen those films and prefer The Green Mile. Think I lost a bit of my post there, but you got the gist! :oops: I must confess The Shining is the only book of his that I have read. I am currently reading an autobiographical book by Molly Weir (the Scottish Flash ad's lady). She sure had lead a very interesting life. Sadly she has passed away now. Anyhow I must try some of Stephen King's earlier works on your recommendation! :smilin: Must get on now-speak laters! :Hiya: Byeeeeeee for now!
PresidentTriste

Postby Orphadeus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:00 pm

The best contemporary book I have read in recent years was a collection of short stories called Hot by a woman called Elizabeth (forgot her second name). I bought it off her in person a couple of years ago and its in the bag I lost the other week which I might get back today. If I do get it back I'll let you know her name, though I don't think you can get hold of the book. It was published by Freedom Press and I've just had a look at a list of the books they have available online and its not there. That book is far better than bestsellers.
Orphadeus

Postby PresidentTriste » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Orphadeus wrote:The best contemporary book I have read in recent years was a collection of short stories called Hot by a woman called Elizabeth (forgot her second name). I bought it off her in person a couple of years ago and its in the bag I lost the other week which I might get back today. If I do get it back I'll let you know her name, though I don't think you can get hold of the book. It was published by Freedom Press and I've just had a look at a list of the books they have available online and its not there. That book is far better than bestsellers.

Please let us know when you have found out! Ta! :smilin:
PresidentTriste

Postby Dimples » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:32 pm

NAA wrote:I shall no doubt finish reading Room today......... it has me thoroughly depressed........... I cant stop thinking of that Austrian freak who had his daughter living in a *Room* in the cellar with the kids he sired......

Well, I finished Pillars of the Earth last night! :thumbsup: That was quite a task but well worth it! I recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction - so that might mean you drummers! :thumbsup:

I bought "Room" today NAA - have only read about 10 pages so far but I think I'm going to be gripped by it. That's three people who have mentioned this book to me in the past few days.
Dimples

Postby NAA » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:03 am

Mrs Ploppy wrote:
NAA wrote:I shall no doubt finish reading Room today......... it has me thoroughly depressed........... I cant stop thinking of that Austrian freak who had his daughter living in a *Room* in the cellar with the kids he sired......

Well, I finished Pillars of the Earth last night! :thumbsup: That was quite a task but well worth it! I recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction - so that might mean you drummers! :thumbsup:

I bought "Room" today NAA - have only read about 10 pages so far but I think I'm going to be gripped by it. That's three people who have mentioned this book to me in the past few days.

Im certain you will enjoy it, it's one of the strangest books I've ever read, very disturbing, I found myself still thinking about it for over a week when I finished it. I will read it again in a few months, I read it too quickly because it was just so damned impossible to put down.
NAA

Postby Death » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:50 pm

NAA wrote: Nujood was ten years old, in Yemen and married off to a 30 year old man. He abused her, sexually and physically and mentally, somehow with a little help from an aunt, she went to the court house and asked for a divorce...... Shocking and dangerous... As luck had it, one of the very few women lawyers , and feminist activist was at court, she took her home with her and supported her, became her council for free and put her in touch with international womens groups.

Yemen is THE WORST place to be female on this planet. Two years ago the government (*scoffs*) tried to outlaw child brides, but the Muslim clerics opposed it. Evil bastards.
Death

Postby NAA » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:59 am

Death wrote:
NAA wrote: Nujood was ten years old, in Yemen and married off to a 30 year old man. He abused her, sexually and physically and mentally, somehow with a little help from an aunt, she went to the court house and asked for a divorce...... Shocking and dangerous... As luck had it, one of the very few women lawyers , and feminist activist was at court, she took her home with her and supported her, became her council for free and put her in touch with international womens groups.

Yemen is THE WORST place to be female on this planet. Two years ago the government (*scoffs*) tried to outlaw child brides, but the Muslim clerics opposed it. Evil bastards.

I agree, when I finished reading the book, and closed it, it suddenly hit me.... There was no epilogue giving me the happy end to a real story. Nujood was still a child, somewhere in my mind I had for some reason expected her to now be grown up, living in perhaps the USA, pursuing a career in law...... But no, this is real, at 12 she is still in primary school, still living with the same father who literally sold his child to a man old enough to be her father. I worry about her living with her brother who I see as a threat, I feel he sees what she did as an affront, she dishonoured the family in his twisted mind.

I went out and bought a few more copies in Greek and gave it to some friends, the more people who buy it and recommend it, are helping Nujood and her sisters to MAYBE, and that's a bit of a long shot, but MAYBE, have a slightly better life. Her story gave courage to a few other brave little girls who were suffering the same fate, they also went alone to the court, and obtained divorces, I believe one was only 9yrs old.... but then what? they are still so at risk.
NAA

Postby Dimples » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:55 pm

Finished "Room" last night. What a truly remarkable book.

I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone because it is not only thought-provoking but also something of an achievement to write a book which is so plausibly the voice of a five year old child. Like NAA, parts of this book saddened me a great deal but many other things made me laugh.

... "meltedy spoon"... :gigglesnshit:

Do read it, folks. :smilin:
Dimples

Postby trini » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:29 am

trinity wrote:

Looks interesting, I'll get it and let you know

I tried it Claire, just couldn't get into it. I guess its just a US thing. I live on the East Coast and really couldn't get into a Day Trader from L.A, with a sink hole in his yard and his goodwill. I was in the hospital for a week+ trying to read it and the most interesting thing I had was jello, jello beat the book hands down :gigglesnshit:
trini

Postby TFF » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:29 am

Somerville book wins 'Bad Sex' award
Published: Nov. 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM

LONDON, Nov. 30 (UPI) -- British periodical Literary Review awarded its 2010 Bad Sex in Fiction Award to a book with the phrase "like an otter through wet sand" in a sexual context.

"He caught her rhythm, pulling and releasing, cradling and crushing; pushing up through his fingers with each swing, mining up, like an otter through wet sand," reads one of the award-winning "bad sex" passages in Somerville's novel.

"Like a lepidopterist mounting a tough-skinned insect with a too blunt pin he screwed himself into her," another steamy passage reads.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/11/30/ ... 291142402/

:pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:
TFF

Postby not the last guest » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:51 pm

TFF wrote:Somerville book wins 'Bad Sex' award
Published: Nov. 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM

LONDON, Nov. 30 (UPI) -- British periodical Literary Review awarded its 2010 Bad Sex in Fiction Award to a book with the phrase "like an otter through wet sand" in a sexual context.

"He caught her rhythm, pulling and releasing, cradling and crushing; pushing up through his fingers with each swing, mining up, like an otter through wet sand," reads one of the award-winning "bad sex" passages in Somerville's novel.

"Like a lepidopterist mounting a tough-skinned insect with a too blunt pin he screwed himself into her," another steamy passage reads.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2010/11/30/ ... 291142402/

:pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

very bad :shake head:

i like the old american detective novels from the 1940s, not subtle at all

"she had a pair of 38s pointed at me, and the 45 pistols in her hands were impressive also" :gigglesnshit:

not the last guest

Postby Claire » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 am

trinity wrote:
trinity wrote:

Looks interesting, I'll get it and let you know

I tried it Claire, just couldn't get into it. I guess its just a US thing. I live on the East Coast and really couldn't get into a Day Trader from L.A, with a sink hole in his yard and his goodwill. I was in the hospital for a week+ trying to read it and the most interesting thing I had was jello, jello beat the book hands down :gigglesnshit:

Aw well. At least you tried :thumbsup:
Claire

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug