Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Rabas » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:22 pm

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom, T E Lawrence :smilin:
Rabas

Postby Lemon » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:17 am

I'm not a huge fan of Anne Rice, but her novel The Witching Hour is a masterpiece of subtle and sensual gothic horror.
Lemon

Postby NAA » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:47 am

I have just finished "The Winter Ghosts" by Kate Mosse. It was a wonderful old fashioned, unpretentious good Ol' ghost story, from the same school of ghost story " The Woman in Black" hails . The kind of ghost story to read on a cold winters night, preferably with a blizzard blowing at your windows, a mug of hot tea, wrapped in a snuggly blankie.. :wubbers: Set in rural France post first World war, a tale of loss, grief ( one of the best descriptions of intense grief/guilt I've ever read btw) and hope, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
NAA

Postby NAA » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Has anyone read "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne?
This book is seriously pissing me off in so many ways, as a natural born cynic, sarcastic bitch, with a black sense of humour, reading this book is like waving a red flag at a bull.

I was given it as a gift 2 years ago, the person who gave it to me, lives by this book and, other people she gave it to also changed their outlook and attitude, and DAMMIT, it seems to work, but it is just so FUCKING Irritating..
NAA

Postby El Guapo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:15 pm

El Guapo

Postby Dimples » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Currently reading Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks but it's too soon to have formed a proper opinion. Looking promising so far though! :thumbsup:
Dimples

Postby Catholic Preist » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Just read the Beevor book about the fall of Berlin, the terrible fate of ordinary Germans as the Allies took their cruel revenge...
Bella. Horrida bella.
Catholic Preist

Postby luddite » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:20 pm

I am currently reading every Evelyn Waugh that I can lay my hands on.
A contrasting style of comedy is Terry Pratchet, all of whose books I have read over the last couple of years.
In the past I have read some Wilbur Smith which I highly recommend and intend to revisit. :fire:
In my teens I read a lot of Erscine Caldwell.
luddite

Postby kitty » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:22 pm

luddite wrote:I am currently reading every Evelyn Waugh that I can lay my hands on.
A contrasting style of comedy is Terry Pratchet, all of whose books I have read over the last couple of years.
In the past I have read some Wilbur Smith which I highly recommend and intend to revisit. :fire:

I just re-read an Erskine Caldwell book called Close to Home. Bleak, to say the least.
kitty

Postby NAA » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:19 pm

I've just started reading "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" by John Boyne,I wanted to read the book before I see the film, I think its going to be harrowing. I've heard enough and read enough about it to basically know the story plus ending, I'm curious how such a little book can cover such an emotionally charged story of such epic proportions.
NAA

Postby luddite » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:55 pm

kitty wrote:
luddite wrote:I am currently reading every Evelyn Waugh that I can lay my hands on.

I just re-read an Erskine Caldwell book called Close to Home. Bleak, to say the least.

There is a lot of humour in there too, there is a sequence where a yokel buys a brand new car and proceeds to wreck it but is happy as long as the horn still works.
Poop poop. :canny:
luddite

Postby Stooo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:59 pm

NAA wrote:I've just started reading "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" by John Boyne,I wanted to read the book before I see the film, I think its going to be harrowing. I've heard enough and read enough about it to basically know the story plus ending, I'm curious how such a little book can cover such an emotionally charged story of such epic proportions.

I've seen the film, really upsetting :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby luddite » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:02 pm

Just had a re think and the car scene is from Tobacco Road. :paranoid:
luddite

Postby Claire » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:04 pm

NAA wrote:I've just started reading "The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas" by John Boyne,I wanted to read the book before I see the film, I think its going to be harrowing. I've heard enough and read enough about it to basically know the story plus ending, I'm curious how such a little book can cover such an emotionally charged story of such epic proportions.

How was it?
Claire

Postby Claire » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Has anyone read "These Lovely Bones"?
Claire

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug