Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby NAA » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:47 am

Im reading *The Help* by Kathryn Stockett. The first chapter bothered me a bit, I disliked the authors style, now I'm half way through it, I'm really loving it. Set in Mississippi 1962, a story of the black *help* raising white children, and much much more. Political enough to be realistic, but human enough to be funny, heartbreaking and shocking.
NAA

Postby Dimples » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 am

NAA wrote:Im reading *The Help* by Kathryn Stockett. The first chapter bothered me a bit, I disliked the authors style, now I'm half way through it, I'm really loving it. Set in Mississippi 1962, a story of the black *help* raising white children, and much much more. Political enough to be realistic, but human enough to be funny, heartbreaking and shocking.

I read that on holiday back in September NAA - I thought it was excellent. :thumbsup:
Dimples

Postby NAA » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Mrs Ploppy wrote:
NAA wrote:Im reading *The Help* by Kathryn Stockett. The first chapter bothered me a bit, I disliked the authors style, now I'm half way through it, I'm really loving it. Set in Mississippi 1962, a story of the black *help* raising white children, and much much more. Political enough to be realistic, but human enough to be funny, heartbreaking and shocking.

I read that on holiday back in September NAA - I thought it was excellent. :thumbsup:

Last night i reached the part where Mister Johnny walks in on Minny and asks who the hell she is and what's she doing in his kitchen... :yikes:

Im also dying to find out what she did to that chocolate pie............. :leer:
NAA

Postby NAA » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:32 pm

I just received my copy of *Room* by Emma Donoghue, I shall try to stop myself peeking into it, I have a tendency to try and read four or five books at once.... it rarely works out well. Im reallllyyyy looking forward to *Room*, it has rave reviews.

Ive currently restricted myself to one book to read and a silly one to flick through, Im flicking through *Bored of The Rings* I had to stop reading it in bed as it made me giggle too much and I was waking up the OH...... one of the best spoofs EVER!
NAA

Postby Dimples » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:56 pm

NAA wrote:
Mrs Ploppy wrote:

Last night i reached the part where Mister Johnny walks in on Minny and asks who the hell she is and what's she doing in his kitchen... :yikes:

Im also dying to find out what she did to that chocolate pie............. :leer:

I won't spoil it for you!! :gigglesnshit:
Dimples

Postby Claire » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Have any of you read A.M Holmes?
Claire

Postby trini » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:26 am

Claire wrote:Have any of you read A.M Holmes?

Have not read her before but did see The Safety of Objects, not the best movie I've seen.

Just finished a book by Harry Turtledove (yes it's his real name) called "The war that came Early- West and East, It's an alternative history book about what would have happened if Neville Chamberlain had not been the "the great appeaser" in 1938.

What if Chamberlain had stood up to Hitler?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/har ... d-east.htm
trini

Postby Dimples » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:12 pm

I haven't, no.

I've just finished Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult and have now started on The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, which is currently being dramatised on Channel 4. I'd better make sure keep reading fast enough that the programme doesn't tell me what's happening before I've got to that bit in the book.
Dimples

Postby Snuffleupagus » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 pm

NAA wrote:I just received my copy of *Room* by Emma Donoghue, I shall try to stop myself peeking into it, I have a tendency to try and read four or five books at once.... it rarely works out well. Im reallllyyyy looking forward to *Room*, it has rave reviews.

Ive currently restricted myself to one book to read and a silly one to flick through, Im flicking through *Bored of The Rings* I had to stop reading it in bed as it made me giggle too much and I was waking up the OH...... one of the best spoofs EVER!

I recently read Peter Kay's second autobiog "Saturday Night Peter" while I was sunbathing on holiday - I kept guffawing and had folk looking around to see what was going on. :mrgreen:

I ended up passing the book on and taking delight in seeing other people uncontrollably laughing reading it too - very very funny book. :rofl:
Snuffleupagus

Postby Claire » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:04 pm

trinity wrote:

Have not read her before but did see The Safety of Objects, not the best movie I've seen.

Just finished a book by Harry Turtledove (yes it's his real name) called "The war that came Early- West and East, It's an alternative history book about what would have happened if Neville Chamberlain had not been the "the great appeaser" in 1938.

What if Chamberlain had stood up to Hitler?

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/har ... d-east.htm

Try this Trinity

http://www.amazon.co.uk/This-Book-Will-Save-Your/dp/1862079331/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1289156565&sr=1-5
Claire

Postby trini » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:50 am

Looks interesting, I'll get it and let you know
trini

Postby ElPresident » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:15 pm

The Shining by Stephen King, however good the film was , the book is miles better and has a satisfactory ending unlike the film which falls into chaos at the end!!! :bum:
ElPresident

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:03 pm

ElPresident wrote:The Shining by Stephen King, however good the film was , the book is miles better and has a satisfactory ending unlike the film which falls into chaos at the end!!! :bum:

I liked the Simpsons version of it :pmsl:

Postby NAA » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:43 pm

ElPresident wrote:The Shining by Stephen King, however good the film was , the book is miles better and has a satisfactory ending unlike the film which falls into chaos at the end!!! :bum:

Since the rumour broke last year that Stephen King was going to write the sequel to The Shining, focusing on a now 40 yr old Danny Torrance, I have checked almost monthly for news about it...

Im a bit worried about Kings comment about it though,

"“Maybe if I keep talking about it I won’t have to write it.”

:bawlin:
NAA

Postby Avon Barksdale » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:47 am

NAA wrote:I just received my copy of *Room* by Emma Donoghue, I shall try to stop myself peeking into it, I have a tendency to try and read four or five books at once.... it rarely works out well. Im reallllyyyy looking forward to *Room*, it has rave reviews.

It's an excellent read but disturbing.

It's the kind of book that you could easily devour over a single day or weekend.
Avon Barksdale

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug