Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby dis » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:54 pm

I am reading Doug Johnstone - The Jump. It’s about a mum, her son killed himself jumping off the Forth Road Bridge and she gets herself in all manner of shit after stopping someone else doing the same. It’s hard going at times.
User avatar
dis
 
Posts: 3212
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby malamute » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:14 pm

halfway through my fourth Kimberley Chambers book. OK but I think Ive overdosed on them now.
User avatar
malamute
 
Posts: 1488
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:03 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Lukatar » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Been reading a lot, 'How to make whisky.' time to put it into practice once the weather warms up.
User avatar
Lukatar
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Bella » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:37 pm

I've read quite a few books lately but just finished this ... "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine", thoroughly enjoyed this very well written book, one of those I am sad to finish.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... -as-victim
User avatar
Bella
 
Posts: 6766
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:50 pm

Lukatar wrote:Been reading a lot, 'How to make whisky.' time to put it into practice once the weather warms up.

Best of luck with it.
Safety safety safety remember.
I'm sure you know that but always worth reminding.
I hope you're not doing it in the house or flat.
User avatar
Rolluplostinspace
 
Posts: 5883
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Vicks » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:04 am

Copy Cat by Anna Lake.

I'm half way through it and it's very good.

Sarah Havenant gets a friends request on Facebook off an old school friend and the friend says, I wasn't sure which account you used, because you have two on here..

It's the first Sarah knows about it..
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68319
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby MG2 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Bella wrote:I've read quite a few books lately but just finished this ... "Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine", thoroughly enjoyed this very well written book, one of those I am sad to finish.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/ ... -as-victim


That's on my read list, it has a brilliant Goodreads rating.

I've just finished He said/She said, loved it, great twist at the end.

Also read The Other Hoffman Sister. It was in parts very good and in others average.
User avatar
MG2
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Kat » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 pm

malamute wrote:halfway through my fourth Kimberley Chambers book. OK but I think Ive overdosed on them now.
oh I love her Martina Cole .Amanda sue Heller list endless
User avatar
Kat
 
Posts: 6135
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Vicks » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:20 am

Vicks wrote:Copy Cat by Anna Lake.

I'm half way through it and it's very good.

Sarah Havenant gets a friends request on Facebook off an old school friend and the friend says, I wasn't sure which account you used, because you have two on here..

It's the first Sarah knows about it..


:bump:

The ending ruined it.
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68319
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Nucks » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 am

Finally got to the end of 10 Rillington Place. Blimey the last few chapters were hard work. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

A friend lent me a book she wrote 20 years ago. I’m nervous in case I don’t like it and she asks me about it. :gigglesnshit:
User avatar
Nucks
 
Posts: 6652
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:59 am
Location: Behind the curtains

Re: Literary Corner

Postby MG2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:29 pm

Finishing up The Tobacconist. Wasn't sure I would enjoy as I'd just finished a book set in the war in Germany but it is actually a very good book.

Can't decide whether to go for Eleanor Oliphant or Matt Haigs' Reasons to Stay Alive.
User avatar
MG2
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:02 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Vicks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Nucks wrote:Finally got to the end of 10 Rillington Place. Blimey the last few chapters were hard work. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

A friend lent me a book she wrote 20 years ago. I’m nervous in case I don’t like it and she asks me about it. :gigglesnshit:


It could be worse..

My aunt used to get a lift to work everyday and the driver never charged her a penny.

However he used to play tapes of him singing all the time and kept asking her if she thought he had a great voice.

He was bloody awful and she said it was a nightmare but she had no other way of getting to work.

:laughing:
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68319
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Vicks » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:22 pm

The Woman In The Window, it gets a lot of good reviews.

I've just started it.
User avatar
Vicks
 
Posts: 68319
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: Literary Corner

Postby measurer » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:15 pm

Vicks wrote:The Woman In The Window, it gets a lot of good reviews.

I've just started it.


Ooh, heard a lot about this book. Let me know what you think of it.
User avatar
measurer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11939
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: Taking care of business...

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Nucks » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:48 am

Vicks wrote:
Nucks wrote:Finally got to the end of 10 Rillington Place. Blimey the last few chapters were hard work. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

A friend lent me a book she wrote 20 years ago. I’m nervous in case I don’t like it and she asks me about it. :gigglesnshit:


It could be worse..

My aunt used to get a lift to work everyday and the driver never charged her a penny.

However he used to play tapes of him singing all the time and kept asking her if she thought he had a great voice.

He was bloody awful and she said it was a nightmare but she had no other way of getting to work.

:laughing:


You’re right, that’s probably worse. :gigglesnshit: Must be what the X factor judges feel like during auditions. :thud:
User avatar
Nucks
 
Posts: 6652
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:59 am
Location: Behind the curtains

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests