Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Claire » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:36 pm

Have any of you read Roddy Doyle's books? " The Commitments, "The Snapper* and "The Van" are probably his most famous. Laugh a minute. Especially " The Van" It is seriously funny. "The Woman who Walked into Doors" and " Paddy Clark Hahaha" are more serious. "A Star called Henry", was a book I sat up until 4am to finish and I cried my heart out. His writing style takes a bit of getting used to but his stories are brilliant. He has also wrote some childrens books which my two loved.

Also, Christopher Brookmyre. His books are laugh out loud if you're Scottish, but even if you're not, read them for the plots.

Diane Gabeldon's books are absolutely awesome. Time travelling in an interesting way.

As an aside. For all of you who read "The Time Travellers Wife", wasn't the film crap?

The best film of a book I have ever watched is the "The Green Mile".

I have also got to say that I cried at the book " Marley and me" but I actually couldn't breath for crying when I watched the film. As a dog lover, it was just heartbreaking.
Claire

Postby Dimples » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Claire wrote:Have any of you read Roddy Doyle's books? " The Commitments, "The Snapper* and "The Van" are probably his most famous. Laugh a minute. Especially " The Van" It is seriously funny. "The Woman who Walked into Doors" and " Paddy Clark Hahaha" are more serious. "A Star called Henry", was a book I sat up until 4am to finish and I cried my heart out. His writing style takes a bit of getting used to but his stories are brilliant. He has also wrote some childrens books which my two loved.

Also, Christopher Brookmyre. His books are laugh out loud if you're Scottish, but even if you're not, read them for the plots.

Diane Gabeldon's books are absolutely awesome. Time travelling in an interesting way.

As an aside. For all of you who read "The Time Travellers Wife", wasn't the film crap?

I have also got to say that I cried at the book " Marley and me" but I actually couldn't breath for crying when I watched the film. As a dog lover, it was just heartbreaking.

I agree about Christopher Brookmyre. The opening chapter to Quite Ugly One Morning is hilarious!!! :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:
Dimples

Postby Claire » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Mrs Ploppy wrote:
Claire wrote:Have any of you read Roddy Doyle's books? " The Commitments, "The Snapper* and "The Van" are probably his most famous. Laugh a minute. Especially " The Van" It is seriously funny. "The Woman who Walked into Doors" and " Paddy Clark Hahaha" are more serious. "A Star called Henry", was a book I sat up until 4am to finish and I cried my heart out. His writing style takes a bit of getting used to but his stories are brilliant. He has also wrote some childrens books which my two loved.

I agree about Christopher Brookmyre. The opening chapter to Quite Ugly One Morning is hilarious!!! :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

Was that the one that the "jobbie" had to be taken into custody? Lol. Me and my son (who is doing Journalism, English and Creative Writing at uni) went to a Christopher Brookmyre reading last year around now. Maybe more December. It was in Bothwell. Do you know the area? He is completely funny in person too. He read his first chapter of his new (now old) novel and talked about what inspired him, his uni days and the usual stuff. My son interviewed him at the end as part of his course and he was great! We now have signed books :snooty:
Claire

Postby Dimples » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:59 pm

Claire wrote:
Mrs Ploppy wrote:

Was that the one that the "jobbie" had to be taken into custody? Lol. Me and my son (who is doing Journalism, English and Creative Writing at uni) went to a Christopher Brookmyre reading last year around now. Maybe more December. It was in Bothwell. Do you know the area? He is completely funny in person too. He read his first chapter of his new (now old) novel and talked about what inspired him, his uni days and the usual stuff. My son interviewed him at the end as part of his course and he was great! We now have signed books :snooty:

That's the one!! :pmsl:

I've never met him but Mr Ploppy knows his wife.
Dimples

Postby Claire » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:12 pm

He's not like I imagined. Hilarious though :thumbsup:
Claire

Postby drum » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 am

I have been mostly reading Philippa Gregory Novels, Especially the Tudor series. makes me want to go back and study History again.
drum

Postby Dimples » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:22 am

drum wrote:I have been mostly reading Philippa Gregory Novels, Especially the Tudor series. makes me want to go back and study History again.

They're very good. Her other series - called The Cousins' War - is underway. That's about the Yorkists and the Plantagenets during the Wars of the Roses.

I've read the first in the series - The White Queen.
Dimples

Postby drum » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:10 pm

Mrs Ploppy wrote:
drum wrote:I have been mostly reading Philippa Gregory Novels, Especially the Tudor series. makes me want to go back and study History again.

They're very good. Her other series - called The Cousins' War - is underway. That's about the Yorkists and the Plantagenets during the Wars of the Roses.

I've read both White and Red Queen too.. Red Queen I enjoyed better, you can almost imagine yourself back there watching it all.

The Wise Woman is also fantastic.
drum

Postby Dimples » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:25 pm

drum wrote:
Mrs Ploppy wrote:

I've read both White and Red Queen too.. Red Queen I enjoyed better, you can almost imagine yourself back there watching it all.

The Wise Woman is also fantastic.

I'm waiting till it comes out in paperback. I find reading hardbacks in bed a real nuisance.
Dimples

Postby Northern » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:16 pm

Started Secret Societies - Sylvia Browne the other night
Northern

Postby Claire » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:23 pm

This feels like twisted. Has anyone read Diane Gabeldon? I recommend them to drum. If you love history, you will love her novels. Scottish History. In a time travelling way. As much as we will never get on, I do think you will love her novels. The first is "Cross stitch". Try it!
Claire

Postby NAA » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:56 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:
NAA wrote:I just received my copy of *Room* by Emma Donoghue, I shall try to stop myself peeking into it, I have a tendency to try and read four or five books at once.... it rarely works out well. Im reallllyyyy looking forward to *Room*, it has rave reviews.

It's an excellent read but disturbing.

It's the kind of book that you could easily devour over a single day or weekend.

I started reading it yesterday, and yes it is disturbing, Ive just finished chapter one, lay awake thinking about it when I switched off the light. For the moment it is reminding me of Flowers In The Attic.
NAA

Postby Northern » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:47 am

I loved the Flowers in the Attic series of books
Northern

Postby drum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 am

Claire wrote:This feels like twisted. Has anyone read Diane Gabeldon? I recommend them to drum. If you love history, you will love her novels. Scottish History. In a time travelling way. As much as we will never get on, I do think you will love her novels. The first is "Cross stitch". Try it!

Just saw this. Thanks.
drum

Postby drum » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 am

Northern wrote:I loved the Flowers in the Attic series of books

My sister read all them, I could never get into that series of books. I started reading my mums Mills and Boon when I was younger -Racy for a kid- :yikes: from there I moved on Pans books of Horror, then onto Stephen King.. I'm a bit glad I've always been a bit of a wanderer else I'd never be able to move for books, I give loads away... often.
Karen Rose
Karen Slaughter
are also two authors I'd reccommend.
I have all the Martina Cole novels, can't get enough of her and really enjoyed The Family (her latest offering)
I think I've read ALL of Catherine Cooksons novels also.. Sometimes, I like those wee feel good rags to happiness novels from time to time. But yeh, my first love is History.
drum

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug