Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Vicky » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:04 pm

I'm reading my 11th Agatha Raisin book now.

Agatha Raisin And The Love From Hell.

Agatha has finally married her handsome neighbour James, but it's not exactly "Happily ever after" James has gone missing and the police think Aggie, might have murdered him.

Vicky

Postby Keyser » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Victoria wrote:I'm reading my 11th Agatha Raisin book now.

Agatha has finally married her handsome neighbour James, but it's not exactly "Happily ever after" James has gone missing and the police think Aggie, might have murdered him.

Do you have Sky Vicky?

http://gb.imdb.com/title/tt5015548/

Ashley Jensen is Agatha. :smilin:
Keyser

Postby Vicky » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:37 am

Keyser wrote:

Do you have Sky Vicky?

http://gb.imdb.com/title/tt5015548/

Ashley Jensen is Agatha. :smilin:

I've seen a couple of episodes, but the books are better.

I'm now on book number 12 and i was rather creeped out, when I discovered the identity of the murderer in book 11. :ooer:
Vicky

Postby Keyser » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Victoria wrote:I've seen a couple of episodes, but the books are better.

I'm now on book number 12 and i was rather creeped out, when I discovered the identity of the murderer in book 11. :ooer:

Ah ok - I have not read the books or seen the telly show but I thought you might be interested. :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby malamute » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:47 pm

I have only read the first Agatha Raisin book The Quiche of Death but I have two more by my bedside. I keep seeing them in charity shops. After I read mine I passed it to a friend who was going to Madeira on holiday. She is in a very high powered job and finds it hard to switch off but she said she read it and loved it as it was perfect holiday reading and something different. She has now bought more!
malamute

Postby Art0 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:12 am

1st, chapter of The Bulletproof Diet, DAVE ASPREY. Lectins... Phytates... Oxalates... Mold Toxins... Basically; all disease is caused by inflammation.

Did read letters of a stoic a few months ago by Seneca. And Tony Buzan's the power of verbal intelligence... Thoroughly enjoyed both!
Art0

Postby Cherry de Voured » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:05 pm

I've been a very naughty Cherry. STILL on Patrick Süskind's 'Perfume'. It's a wonderful book, but I keep re-reading chapters. The imagery is just beautiful - the descriptions of smells are just amazing. I've been on the book on-and-off for about a year and a half now - and it's not a huge one.

I'm a bit of a book hopper though, I'll usually have a few on the go, as they seem to travel around with me - bedside cabinet to toilet, to bus, to bag, in this revolving cycle of picking up whichever one's nearest!
Cherry de Voured

Postby Keyser » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:43 pm

Cherry de Voured wrote:I've been a very naughty Cherry. STILL on Patrick Süskind's 'Perfume'. It's a wonderful book, but I keep re-reading chapters. The imagery is just beautiful - the descriptions of smells are just amazing. I've been on the book on-and-off for about a year and a half now - and it's not a huge one.

I'm a bit of a book hopper though, I'll usually have a few on the go, as they seem to travel around with me - bedside cabinet to toilet, to bus, to bag, in this revolving cycle of picking up whichever one's nearest!

Have you ever read any Stephen King stuff Cherry?
Keyser

Postby Nucks » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:26 pm

I've just started 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyes. It was given to me by a friend who said she couldn't get into it. I'll give it a fair shake, but it's not normally the kind of book I'd choose. I have the Game of Thrones books to get through at some point as well. I also like rereading books from years ago, The Hobbit and the Harry Potter series are always on my nightstand.
Nucks

Postby PinkSmurf » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:20 am

Hotel K by Kathryn Bonella. It's about a prison in Bali. If you've not read or watched much about foreign prisons it's an eye opener. Next I'll be reading HATE by Matthew Collins about his time in the far right before switching sides to the far left. I haven't started it yet so don't know what it will be like.
PinkSmurf

Postby PinkSmurf » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:22 am

Keyser wrote:
Cherry de Voured wrote:I've been a very naughty Cherry. STILL on Patrick Süskind's 'Perfume'. It's a wonderful book, but I keep re-reading chapters. The imagery is just beautiful - the descriptions of smells are just amazing. I've been on the book on-and-off for about a year and a half now - and it's not a huge one.

Have you ever read any Stephen King stuff Cherry?

I have! He sure has a dark mind.
PinkSmurf

Postby PinkSmurf » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:19 pm

Easy Meat : Inside Britain's Grooming Gang Scandal by Peter McLoughlin. It's about Muslim Pakistani grooming gangs who rape and give drugs and alcohol to underage White girls and Sikh girls in Britain. I've started reading it, it's harrowing.
PinkSmurf

Postby luddite » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:31 pm

A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking.

Life, the universe and black holes. :header:
luddite

Postby Keyser » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Just bought Clive Barker's The Scarlet Gospels from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarlet-Gospel ... 1447266986

The first novel to fully feature the lead Cenobite ('Pinhead') from the original Hellraiser. :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 am

Canucklehead wrote:I've just started 'Me Before You' by Jojo Moyes. It was given to me by a friend who said she couldn't get into it. I'll give it a fair shake, but it's not normally the kind of book I'd choose. I have the Game of Thrones books to get through at some point as well. I also like rereading books from years ago, The Hobbit and the Harry Potter series are always on my nightstand.

Chick lit's not my thing either but Me Before You was a book group choice and, to be fair, is a pretty good example of the genre. It does suffer from some structural problems and, bafflingly, although the narrative is from various characters in the novel, the disabled bloke at the centre of the story does not get his own voice. Nevertheless, there is some terrifically evocative writing in it.

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug