Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby PinkSmurf » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:32 pm

Books by Martina Cole are always good. I've recently bought The Good Life by Martina Cole and it's next on my list. I also have Blitzed : Drugs in Nazi Germany by Norman Ohler which looks like a good read.
PinkSmurf

Postby Vicky » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:50 pm

malamute wrote:
Victoria wrote:I'm reading my 11th Agatha Raisin book now.

Agatha Raisin And The Love From Hell.

Agatha has finally married her handsome neighbour James, but it's not exactly "Happily ever after" James has gone missing and the police think Aggie, might have murdered him.

I have only read the first Agatha Raisin book The Quiche of Death but I have two more by my bedside. I keep seeing them in charity shops. After I read mine I passed it to a friend who was going to Madeira on holiday. She is in a very high powered job and finds it hard to switch off but she said she read it and loved it as it was perfect holiday reading and something different. She has now bought more!

Hi Mams. Image

Have you read anymore Agatha Raisin books?

I'm on book number 25 now and only have 2 left to read.

The books are excellent and it's great to see the characters developing as they go on.

I'll miss Aggie, when I'm finished.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:52 pm

PinkSmurf wrote:Books by Martina Cole are always good. I've recently bought The Good Life by Martina Cole and it's next on my list. I also have Blitzed : Drugs in Nazi Germany by Norman Ohler which looks like a good read.

I like Martina Cole.

If you haven't read it already, read Two Women.

It's brilliant.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:30 pm

I'm about to start reading "Birdman" by Mo Hayder.

It's the first book in the Jack Caffery series and Jack's on the hunt for a rather gruesome serial killer who replaces his victims hearts with a bird.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:52 pm

I enjoyed Birdman and i've now started reading the second book in the series "The Treatment"

A man and woman have been found close to death at their home and their wee boy is missing.

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:41 pm

Oh and about Birdman and the birds in the bodies..

I'm not going to give it away, but the reason behind it will seriously creep you out.

:ooer:
Vicky

Postby malamute » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:43 pm

I recently read Girl on a Train and wasn't that impressed. They well over hyped it.

Read Missing You Already by Pauline McLynn and that wasn't too bad.

I am no longer a Labour voter but I have also just read Alan Johnsons book Please Mister Postman having already read his first memoir This Boy some time ago. He writes very well and I like his style. He started life in real poverty in London slums and went on to work for years as a postman before becoming General Sec of the Communication Workers Union and then Labour MP for Hull. Then he served as Home Secretary and also Education and Health.
malamute

Postby Vicky » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:39 am

malamute wrote:I recently read Girl on a Train and wasn't that impressed. They well over hyped it.

I am no longer a Labour voter but I have also just read Alan Johnsons book Please Mister Postman having already read his first memoir This Boy some time ago. He writes very well and I like his style. He started life in real poverty in London slums and went on to work for years as a postman before becoming General Sec of the Communication Workers Union and then Labour MP for Hull. Then he served as Home Secretary and also Education and Health.

I don't know if you saw my post about "Girl On The Train" in the Random Stuff Thread recently Mals?

I wasn't impressed with it either.
Vicky

Postby malamute » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:27 pm

Victoria wrote:
malamute wrote:I recently read Girl on a Train and wasn't that impressed. They well over hyped it.

I don't know if you saw my post about "Girl On The Train" in the Random Stuff Thread recently Mals?

No I didn't Victoria ..... I'll see if I can find it. :smilin:
malamute

Postby malamute » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 am

Can't find it Victoria.
malamute

Postby Vicky » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:48 pm

malamute wrote:
Victoria wrote:

No I didn't Victoria ..... I'll see if I can find it. :smilin:

I should have put my post in here Mals.

I thought i'd see what all the fuss was about, i can't understand why it's sold so many copies.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:09 pm

I'm about to start reading the third book in the Jack Caffery series by Mo Hayder "Ritual"

Jack's likeable, but he's very troubled because of what happened to his brother.

He deserves some happiness, but I don't see him getting it with his present girlfriend Rebecca.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:57 am

I've started reading book number four in the series.

"The Ritual" was rather disappointing and not nearly as good as the first two books.
Vicky

Postby Foxy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:58 pm

I liked Girl on the Train but couldn't understand the rave reviews.

I joined Kindle Unlimited for a 1 month trial. I'll be cancelling it because the selection is pretty limited, but it did give me a chance to read all of Rachel Abbott's books. Would recommend if you like a crime thriller.
Foxy

Postby malamute » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:20 pm

Just read The Sleeping and the Dead by Anne Cleeves and that was dull. The blurb on the back sounded good but it wasn't.
malamute

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug