Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby art0hur0moh » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Last chapter of Will Durant's Greatest Minds and Ideas of All Time. Will be starting Mary Beard's Women & Power a manifesto.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFpkqLI ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--zxqjhOkBo

ॐpanem et circensesॐsequere pecuniamॐRem tene; verba sequenturॐSUI GENERISॐ
art0hur0moh

Postby malamute » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Just finished reading The Woman Next Door by Cass Green. Good read if you like suspense thrillers.

Halfway through Finding Peggy about life in Rough Glasgow areas in the 1950s.
malamute

Postby malamute » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:"Not in your genes" by Oliver James.
He's a clever lad but I don't agree with him, he's saying the way we are is entirely to do with our upbringing, that no one is born good/bad etc.
I firmly believe we are a combination of nature and nurture.
So there, Oliver. :snooty:

I know lots of people who had very poor upbringings and have turned into really lovely, well educated people.

One example is my son's best mate who had a horrible homelife. His father bullied him, his brothers and his wife and then moved his fancy woman into their house and made his wife sleep in the spare room. He showed no interest in their schooling and would never allow the boys to go on school outings or Trips.

He was a very bright lad though and went to Uni and now has a top academic post at a university in New Zealand and is the loveliest chap you could ever wish to meet.
malamute

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:27 pm

malamute wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:"Not in your genes" by Oliver James.
He's a clever lad but I don't agree with him, he's saying the way we are is entirely to do with our upbringing, that no one is born good/bad etc.
I firmly believe we are a combination of nature and nurture.
So there, Oliver. :snooty:

I know lots of people who had very poor upbringings and have turned into really lovely, well educated people.

One example is my son's best mate who had a horrible homelife. His father bullied him, his brothers and his wife and then moved his fancy woman into their house and made his wife sleep in the spare room. He showed no interest in their schooling and would never allow the boys to go on school outings or Trips.

He was a very bright lad though and went to Uni and now has a top academic post at a university in New Zealand and is the loveliest chap you could ever wish to meet.

Same here. Poverty or hardship doesn't have to be a barrier.
Some people have that inner drive to make the best of their life despite their upbringing.
I saw a programme about Chinese twins who were adopted at birth separately and went to live in different countries with different families. When they were reconciled years later the similarities in their personalities was blatant. So there has to be something in our genes that makes us who we are.
More or less.
Lady Murasaki

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug