Coincidences or pure chance events.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Coincidences or pure chance events.

Postby jra » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:10 am

As per the thread title.

Some to start off with.

I accompanied a friend of mine to the hospital yesterday. We agreed to meet by a local chippy before getting a bus. At the hospital, I met the same woman that works at that chippy.

In all the years my dad was yachting and sailing he only fell overboard once and that was due to a forestay on the deck of his yacht giving way when he was holding it for support. He had for a long time been meaning to install a rope ladder in order to make climbing back on board much easier in case of such an event, as it was very difficult otherwise.

He had only installed the rope ladder the day before he fell overboard.

I had to get a taxi back from Dunstable last year for the first time, having missed the last bus. So, I just found the nearest private hire taxi firm. One of my ex-tenants was working there. It could have been any taxi firm.
jra

Re: Coincidences or pure chance events.

Postby Dean » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:14 am

Absolutely fascinating Jra. Do you have any more of these amazing coincidences?
Dean

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Dean wrote:Absolutely fascinating Jra. Do you have any more of these amazing coincidences?

He does actually Dean... by pure coincidence, You're a cunt :thumbsup:

Postby jra » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:52 pm

I deliberately started this thread in The Snug so as to avoid any trolling.

Dean, stop following me around and confine your endless trolling to The Arms. If you've got nothing useful to say, say nothing for once. Read the forum rules for The Snug, regarding trolling.
jra

Postby Dean » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:31 am

jra wrote:I deliberately started this thread in The Snug so as to avoid any trolling.

Dean, stop following me around and confine your endless trolling to The Arms. If you've got nothing useful to say, say nothing for once. Read the forum rules for The Snug, regarding trolling.

My post was on topic. You should be grateful really, no one else bothered to reply...
Dean

Postby Dean » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:32 am

Guest wrote:
Dean wrote:Absolutely fascinating Jra. Do you have any more of these amazing coincidences?

He does actually Dean... by pure coincidence, You're a c**t :thumbsup:

No trolling in the snug please. Why was this approved? :roll:
Dean

Postby Text » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:39 pm

jra wrote:As per the thread title.

Some to start off with.

I accompanied a friend of mine to the hospital yesterday. We agreed to meet by a local chippy before getting a bus. At the hospital, I met the same woman that works at that chippy.

In all the years my dad was yachting and sailing he only fell overboard once and that was due to a forestay on the deck of his yacht giving way when he was holding it for support. He had for a long time been meaning to install a rope ladder in order to make climbing back on board much easier in case of such an event, as it was very difficult otherwise.

I had to get a taxi back from Dunstable last year for the first time, having missed the last bus. So, I just found the nearest private hire taxi firm. One of my ex-tenants was working there. It could have been any taxi firm.

At last, Jra, a sensible thread that does not contain TMI info. Good!
I disagree with your last example tho - it's a very small world and I find nothing extraordinary about you occasionally bumping into one of your numerous ex tenants.

My lad drove us to a family do in Manchester recently and he played REM tracks nonstop so I got very bored and tried to chat about them instead of just listening to the tracks and he was very informative.
After which there was a family quiz where lots of questions about the band were asked. Now how's THAT for a coincidence!!! :thud:
He is currently obsessed with Tindersticks who have beautiful voices --- but I haven't been asked quiz questions about them yet!
Text

Postby Cannydc » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:39 am

I was discussing visiting Australia the other day with Mrs Canny, in the car on the way to the hospital, and mentioned that a lady I used to work with used to take a month off every year to go there. I had never met her since I left the firm in 2006 (13 years).

As we left the hospital, she walked up to me and said hello. I was a bit surprised as was Mrs Canny when I introduced her to the lady we were talking about half an hour ago. :yikes:
Cannydc

Postby jra » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:31 am

Text wrote:
jra wrote:As per the thread title.

Some to start off with.

At last, Jra, a sensible thread that does not contain TMI info. Good!
I disagree with your last example tho - it's a very small world and I find nothing extraordinary about you occasionally bumping into one of your numerous ex tenants.

My lad drove us to a family do in Manchester recently and he played REM tracks nonstop so I got very bored and tried to chat about them instead of just listening to the tracks and he was very informative.
After which there was a family quiz where lots of questions about the band were asked. Now how's THAT for a coincidence!!! :thud:
He is currently obsessed with Tindersticks who have beautiful voices --- but I haven't been asked quiz questions about them yet!

TMI is a relative term. I'd rather share some of that info with people I don't know rather than with people I do, as it's of no consequence to them or it shouldn't be. But, it has taught me there are some really weird people out there that obsess about and stalk strangers. If ever there was a term 'get a life', as in your own life.

Anyway, I digress. There are far more people I know that just disappear than there are people I bump into by coincidence. For me, the world is very large, so when I meet people I know already in an unexpected place, it is a coincidence rather than a regular event.

It's usually people I don't want to know that I keep meeting, unfortunately, but that's locally, not in an adjoining town.
jra

Postby Guest » Fri May 10, 2019 5:51 pm

It's my grans birthday and I and my brother live in different parts of the country and we sent her the exact same card.

Postby Dean » Fri May 10, 2019 6:14 pm

Guest wrote:It's my grans birthday and I and my brother live in different parts of the country and we sent her the exact same card.

It must have been a bloody big card... :kinell:
Dean

Postby Guest » Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Dean wrote:
Guest wrote:It's my grans birthday and I and my brother live in different parts of the country and we sent her the exact same card.

It must have been a bloody big card... :kinell:

Do you need it explaining to you Dean, or is this an attempt at one of your legendary Jokes?

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Fri May 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Cheap supermarket one obviously.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Guest » Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Cheap supermarket one obviously.

Card Factory . It had a lovely verse. She hasn't been well lately and it ended with.. you are loved more every day. Which is true. But the shop had other grandmother cards there and we picked the same one.

Postby Guest » Fri May 10, 2019 7:25 pm

And when I went to see her earlier she was saying my brother had sent her a lovely card. Then I said 'open mine' and she said. "THE SAME ONE! The SAME ONE! I can't believe that. What are the chances of that!?

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug