General train talk.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:13 am

Stooo wrote:A decent read:



Thanks Stooo.

It's a lot more complicated than people think. At 125mph you have very little time to react to an unexpected hazard and the rules state that to go over that speed you need in-cab signalling. See ERTMS.

Train Simulator 2016 - Route Learning: Carlisle to Preston (Class 390 Pendolino)

phpBB [video]


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIjaxCLZEAw
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am

Drunk Dalek wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Motion sickness tablets don’t really work do they? More a placebo effect.
Next time I’ll stay above deck.


Motion sickness below decks can be reduced by breathing with the motion of the vessel. Your inner ear balance is being thrown out by the motion and not being able to see the Horizon. Occupying you mind will also help (reading for instance) and most importantly eat and drink. Starving your body is the worst thing you can do.


That was definitely the problem for me, no breathing exercises or reading would’ve helped. Heaving over the side of a lovely clean white boat wasn’t my finest hour but it was the only thing that helped.
(My friends jokes didn’t help either! :grrrrr: There’s a time and place and that wasn’t it).
User avatar
Lady Murasaki
 
Posts: 30173
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:43 am

jra wrote:
Stooo wrote:A decent read:



Thanks Stooo.

It's a lot more complicated than people think. At 125mph you have very little time to react to an unexpected hazard and the rules state that to go over that speed you need in-cab signalling. See ERTMS.

Train Simulator 2016 - Route Learning: Carlisle to Preston (Class 390 Pendolino)

phpBB [video]


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIjaxCLZEAw

I have that simulator (2019 version), and the new TSW 2020 - I'll have to give it whirl. :smilin:
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 40165
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:56 pm

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
Stooo wrote:A decent read:



Thanks Stooo.

It's a lot more complicated than people think. At 125mph you have very little time to react to an unexpected hazard and the rules state that to go over that speed you need in-cab signalling. See ERTMS.

Train Simulator 2016 - Route Learning: Carlisle to Preston (Class 390 Pendolino)

phpBB [video]


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIjaxCLZEAw

I have that simulator (2019 version), and the new TSW 2020 - I'll have to give it whirl. :smilin:


I'm not really into PC/video games, but I've tried a few train simulators over the years. I just wanted to go as fast as possible, so ended up SPADing and breaking line speed limits. There was a free train simulator called BVE (now OpenBVE) where you could make and design your own routes, scenery, landmarks etc., but it's beyond my capability to do it myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BVE_Trainsim
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby McAz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:17 am

I prefer the tube sim tbh. Reminds me of being a kid and playing on the tube in London. :smilin:
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 40165
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:34 pm

McAz wrote:I prefer the tube sim tbh. Reminds me of being a kid and playing on the tube in London. :smilin:


There is a large batch of new trains on order (being built) for the deep tube lines on LU (Bakerloo, Central, Piccadilly, Waterloo & City) being introduced from 2023-2026 and they will have air conditioning.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/pic-20180516- ... update.pdf

Like with the S7/S8 stock in use on the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, the trains will be of common/interchangeable design and be walkthrough (no inter-carriage doors).

This seems to be a common future theme. Class 378 (London Overground/Capitalstar), 700 (Thameslink, Great Northern and Southern) and 717 Electrostars (Great Northern) have no inter-carriage doors.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby McAz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:39 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I prefer the tube sim tbh. Reminds me of being a kid and playing on the tube in London. :smilin:


There is a large batch of new trains on order (being built) for the deep tube lines on LU (Bakerloo, Central, Piccadilly, Waterloo & City) being introduced from 2023-2026 and they will have air conditioning.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/pic-20180516- ... update.pdf

Like with the S7/S8 stock in use on the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, the trains will be of common/interchangeable design and be walkthrough (no inter-carriage doors).

This seems to be a common future theme. Class 378 (London Overground/Capitalstar), 700 (Thameslink, Great Northern and Southern) and 717 Electrostars (Great Northern) have no inter-carriage doors.

We used to look for the age plate near the doors to see if we could find the oldest. Oldest I traveled on was 1926. Do tube trains still have those?
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 40165
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:58 pm

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I prefer the tube sim tbh. Reminds me of being a kid and playing on the tube in London. :smilin:


There is a large batch of new trains on order (being built) for the deep tube lines on LU (Bakerloo, Central, Piccadilly, Waterloo & City) being introduced from 2023-2026 and they will have air conditioning.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/pic-20180516- ... update.pdf

Like with the S7/S8 stock in use on the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, the trains will be of common/interchangeable design and be walkthrough (no inter-carriage doors).

This seems to be a common future theme. Class 378 (London Overground/Capitalstar), 700 (Thameslink, Great Northern and Southern) and 717 Electrostars (Great Northern) have no inter-carriage doors.

We used to look for the age plate near the doors to see if we could find the oldest. Oldest I traveled on was 1926. Do tube trains still have those?


The Piccadilly line trains do. Metro Cammell now Alstom manufactured those. Maybe Bakerloo, Central and Northern line trains. :dunno:

https://londonist.com/london/transport/metro-cammell
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby McAz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:04 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I prefer the tube sim tbh. Reminds me of being a kid and playing on the tube in London. :smilin:


There is a large batch of new trains on order (being built) for the deep tube lines on LU (Bakerloo, Central, Piccadilly, Waterloo & City) being introduced from 2023-2026 and they will have air conditioning.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/pic-20180516- ... update.pdf

Like with the S7/S8 stock in use on the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, the trains will be of common/interchangeable design and be walkthrough (no inter-carriage doors).

This seems to be a common future theme. Class 378 (London Overground/Capitalstar), 700 (Thameslink, Great Northern and Southern) and 717 Electrostars (Great Northern) have no inter-carriage doors.

We used to look for the age plate near the doors to see if we could find the oldest. Oldest I traveled on was 1926. Do tube trains still have those?


The Piccadilly line trains do. Metro Cammell now Alstom manufactured those. Maybe Bakerloo, Central and Northern line trains. :dunno:

https://londonist.com/london/transport/metro-cammell

Thanks.

From memory, Bakerloo (and perhaps Northern) line trains were the oldest when I was a kid - they looked like something from the Victorian age; hanging straps, no neon - individual yellow lamps with shades etc. Oldest now is 1972 I've just read.
User avatar
McAz
 
Posts: 40165
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:21 am

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:I prefer the tube sim tbh. Reminds me of being a kid and playing on the tube in London. :smilin:


There is a large batch of new trains on order (being built) for the deep tube lines on LU (Bakerloo, Central, Piccadilly, Waterloo & City) being introduced from 2023-2026 and they will have air conditioning.

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/pic-20180516- ... update.pdf

Like with the S7/S8 stock in use on the Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, the trains will be of common/interchangeable design and be walkthrough (no inter-carriage doors).

This seems to be a common future theme. Class 378 (London Overground/Capitalstar), 700 (Thameslink, Great Northern and Southern) and 717 Electrostars (Great Northern) have no inter-carriage doors.

We used to look for the age plate near the doors to see if we could find the oldest. Oldest I traveled on was 1926. Do tube trains still have those?


The Piccadilly line trains do. Metro Cammell now Alstom manufactured those. Maybe Bakerloo, Central and Northern line trains. :dunno:

https://londonist.com/london/transport/metro-cammell

Thanks.

From memory, Bakerloo (and perhaps Northern) line trains were the oldest when I was a kid - they looked like something from the Victorian age; hanging straps, no neon - individual yellow lamps with shades etc. Oldest now is 1972 I've just read.


Here is a list of current rolling stock on the tube. The oldest trains are on the Bakerloo and Piccadilly lines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Un ... rent_stock

This is the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Tube_for_London

I hope the below happens sooner rather than later.

As per usual this will be bogged down in red tape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossrail_2
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:24 am

A to-do list for re-opening lines. What you might call a reverse Beeching.

https://bettertransport.org.uk/re-opening-rail-lines
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:08 am

@ Lord Raven.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=63609&start=330#p1705109

Personally, I prefer train vids without background music, so you get a better online 'journey experience' and ones in real-time without too much editing.

Anyway, if you've travelled on any of the following, I'd like to know your views compared with the AVE.

Shinkansen (Japan)
ICE (Germany)
TGV (France)
Pendolino (Italy)
Eurostar (UK)
Hitachi Express (class 800/801/802) (UK)
Intercity 125/HST (class 43) (UK)

Not top speed, but things like ride comfort, onboard facilities, food quality, customer service etc.

Unfortunately, our trains usually have to be narrower than the above (non-UK), due to the UK loading being smaller than European/Continental loading gauge in most cases. Therefore, we cannot order any of the above off the shelf as our trains have to be customised, which increases rolling stock expenditure.

One thing that people overlook about HS2 is that it will be built with a larger/higher loading gauge, allowing future rolling stock upgrades to be cheaper and easier to procure. For example, it would have been far easier to buy TGVs for use on the CTRL, rather than customised Class 373s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge#Europe
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby .SF. » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:09 pm

jra wrote: I just wanted to go as fast as possible, so ended up SPADing and breaking line speed limits.


That sounds quite dangerous.
User avatar
.SF.
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:34 am

Re: General train talk.

Postby Jobless Oddball » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:45 pm

jra wrote:Anyway, if you've travelled on any of the following, I'd like to know your views compared with the AVE.

Shinkansen (Japan)
ICE (Germany)
TGV (France)
Pendolino (Italy)
Eurostar (UK)
Hitachi Express (class 800/801/802) (UK)
Intercity 125/HST (class 43) (UK)

Not top speed, but things like ride comfort, onboard facilities, food quality, customer service etc.



I've heard that the Shinkansen doesn't even have a proper shithouse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
User avatar
Jobless Oddball
 
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:22 am

.SF. wrote:
jra wrote: I just wanted to go as fast as possible, so ended up SPADing and breaking line speed limits.


That sounds quite dangerous.


SPAD = Signal Passed At Danger

SPADs obviously are serious business (as trains take a long time to stop, not to mention collision speeds) and as a driver, you're facing summary dismissal especially if alcohol and/or drugs are found in your system, i.e. there is a zero-tolerance policy.

I hope the below never happens again and safety systems on trains have been greatly improved since then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southall_rail_crash

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladbroke_Grove_rail_crash

Very few rail travellers are killed these days. Most people that die on the railways are suicides/jumpers, people trespassing/crossing railway lines and are not actually on the train itself.

Our trains are restricted to a maximum speed of 125mph/200kmh in the UK, due to lack of in-cab signalling, other than the 373s (Eurostars) and 395s (Javelins) on HS1.

Once in-cab signalling has been installed, class 390s (Pendolinos) and class 800/801/802 (Hitachi A train variants) will be able to run at maximum 140mph on the ECML, WCML and GWML in electric mode. The MML has been upgraded to 125mph for the class 222s and 43s, but it will be a few years yet for new bi-mode trains (BMMUs) to be introduced, so they can run under the knitting with electric to Market Harborough and Corby from London.

The lastest I've heard is that they'll be 4 tracking from Bedford to Kettering/Market Harborough as part of the upgrade. This, unfortunately, is a curtailed project since electrification should go as far as Derby/Nottingham/Sheffield and preferably to Leeds to do the job properly.

tl;dr. The answer is yes, but it's a train simulator and thankfully not IRL.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17689
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest