General train talk.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: General train talk.

Postby Jon55 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:33 am

I am thinking of taking my grandson on this but I don't know if he is a little too young.

phpBB [video]
User avatar
Jon55
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am

Jon55 wrote:I am thinking of taking my grandson on this but I don't know if he is a little too young.

phpBB [video]


How young do you need to be?

I see they're in a Mark I carriage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Railways_Mark_1

The only thing I can think of is 'is your grandson noise sensitive'?
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17903
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby Jon55 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:56 pm

jra wrote:
Jon55 wrote:I am thinking of taking my grandson on this but I don't know if he is a little too young.

phpBB [video]


How young do you need to be?

I see they're in a Mark I carriage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Railways_Mark_1

The only thing I can think of is 'is your grandson noise sensitive'?


He loves train so I don't think so - I have seen a santa steam trains in Leicestershire so we might book that.

https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/santa/
User avatar
Jon55
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:44 pm

Jon55 wrote:
jra wrote:
Jon55 wrote:I am thinking of taking my grandson on this but I don't know if he is a little too young.

phpBB [video]


How young do you need to be?

I see they're in a Mark I carriage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Railways_Mark_1

The only thing I can think of is 'is your grandson noise sensitive'?


He loves train so I don't think so - I have seen a santa steam trains in Leicestershire so we might book that.

https://www.gcrailway.co.uk/santa/


They should have kept the GCML fully open. Only sections of it are still used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Central_Main_Line
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17903
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby Jon55 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 am

My son used to catch the train to a major city because he was attending college - I would drop him off every morning at the train station and pick him up later. One time a well known nutter got on with his guitar - my sons heart sank because the journey was going to take at least an hour. He decided to not catch the man's eye but for some reason he decided to single him out. "What's your name?" so my son answered "Damien" The nutter then started to strum his guitar and make up a song about him "I am travelling on the train with Damien we are going to London la la" Then the train stops and an elderly man gets on (poor bugger) "An old man with a bald head and a stick has just got on the train and we are all going to London" sings the nutter. By now my son thought I wish this journey would hurry up! He was relieved he was not being targeted by the nutter but felt sorry for the old man who was now being talked to and who the nutter was now sitting next to. The next stop the elderly man made a quick departure - so my son was getting even more attention (he decided against telling the man he was a musician and played the keyboard and guitar) much to his horror. He rang me later to tell me he had just had the journey from hell and I said this is one of the reasons I don't use trains because you can get trapped with unpleasant people and you can't escape them can you?
User avatar
Jon55
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:35 am

Jon55 wrote:My son used to catch the train to a major city because he was attending college - I would drop him off every morning at the train station and pick him up later. One time a well known nutter got on with his guitar - my sons heart sank because the journey was going to take at least an hour. He decided to not catch the man's eye but for some reason he decided to single him out. "What's your name?" so my son answered "Damien" The nutter then started to strum his guitar and make up a song about him "I am travelling on the train with Damien we are going to London la la" Then the train stops and an elderly man gets on (poor bugger) "An old man with a bald head and a stick has just got on the train and we are all going to London" sings the nutter. By now my son thought I wish this journey would hurry up! He was relieved he was not being targeted by the nutter but felt sorry for the old man who was now being talked to and who the nutter was now sitting next to. The next stop the elderly man made a quick departure - so my son was getting even more attention (he decided against telling the man he was a musician and played the keyboard and guitar) much to his horror. He rang me later to tell me he had just had the journey from hell and I said this is one of the reasons I don't use trains because you can get trapped with unpleasant people and you can't escape them can you?


I would have just moved seats and/or got train staff to sort it out.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17903
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby Jon55 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:53 pm

jra wrote:
Jon55 wrote:My son used to catch the train to a major city because he was attending college - I would drop him off every morning at the train station and pick him up later. One time a well known nutter got on with his guitar - my sons heart sank because the journey was going to take at least an hour. He decided to not catch the man's eye but for some reason he decided to single him out. "What's your name?" so my son answered "Damien" The nutter then started to strum his guitar and make up a song about him "I am travelling on the train with Damien we are going to London la la" Then the train stops and an elderly man gets on (poor bugger) "An old man with a bald head and a stick has just got on the train and we are all going to London" sings the nutter. By now my son thought I wish this journey would hurry up! He was relieved he was not being targeted by the nutter but felt sorry for the old man who was now being talked to and who the nutter was now sitting next to. The next stop the elderly man made a quick departure - so my son was getting even more attention (he decided against telling the man he was a musician and played the keyboard and guitar) much to his horror. He rang me later to tell me he had just had the journey from hell and I said this is one of the reasons I don't use trains because you can get trapped with unpleasant people and you can't escape them can you?


I would have just moved seats and/or got train staff to sort it out.


What train staff? The train was packed and people were standing up for the whole journey.
User avatar
Jon55
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:23 pm

Jon55 wrote:
jra wrote:
Jon55 wrote:My son used to catch the train to a major city because he was attending college - I would drop him off every morning at the train station and pick him up later. One time a well known nutter got on with his guitar - my sons heart sank because the journey was going to take at least an hour. He decided to not catch the man's eye but for some reason he decided to single him out. "What's your name?" so my son answered "Damien" The nutter then started to strum his guitar and make up a song about him "I am travelling on the train with Damien we are going to London la la" Then the train stops and an elderly man gets on (poor bugger) "An old man with a bald head and a stick has just got on the train and we are all going to London" sings the nutter. By now my son thought I wish this journey would hurry up! He was relieved he was not being targeted by the nutter but felt sorry for the old man who was now being talked to and who the nutter was now sitting next to. The next stop the elderly man made a quick departure - so my son was getting even more attention (he decided against telling the man he was a musician and played the keyboard and guitar) much to his horror. He rang me later to tell me he had just had the journey from hell and I said this is one of the reasons I don't use trains because you can get trapped with unpleasant people and you can't escape them can you?


I would have just moved seats and/or got train staff to sort it out.


What train staff? The train was packed and people were standing up for the whole journey.


Some short-distance trains (commuter trains normally) do have an additional member of staff on board for emergencies/H&S reasons, but if the train is very crowded (such as at peak times) they usually don't make their presence known, e.g. for checking tickets.

Notably, Southern train services were severely disrupted when the RMT union went on strike over DOO (Driver Only Operation).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%8 ... il_strikes
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17903
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:59 pm

I used to love the train.

When I first left school with very few qualifications I got a job at the Barclays regional centre at Radbroke just outside Manchester. I used to go every day by train and back to Manchester and then the bus. I absolutely loved it.

Then I ruined it by learning to drive and I’ve never really got back to it! I realised I wasn’t really cut out for a proper career so I thought if I can drive surely I can teach others to! And the rest is history.
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: General train talk.

Postby Jon55 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:16 am

Guest wrote:I used to love the train.

When I first left school with very few qualifications I got a job at the Barclays regional centre at Radbroke just outside Manchester. I used to go every day by train and back to Manchester and then the bus. I absolutely loved it.

Then I ruined it by learning to drive and I’ve never really got back to it! I realised I wasn’t really cut out for a proper career so I thought if I can drive surely I can teach others to! And the rest is history.


What has this to do with the thread? Mr Anonymous
User avatar
Jon55
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: General train talk.

Postby calitom » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:04 am

Jon55 wrote:
Guest wrote:I used to love the train.

When I first left school with very few qualifications I got a job at the Barclays regional centre at Radbroke just outside Manchester. I used to go every day by train and back to Manchester and then the bus. I absolutely loved it.

Then I ruined it by learning to drive and I’ve never really got back to it! I realised I wasn’t really cut out for a proper career so I thought if I can drive surely I can teach others to! And the rest is history.


What has this to do with the thread? Mr Anonymous


r u american? or just an insomniac
User avatar
calitom
 
Posts: 4757
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby Jon55 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:24 am

calitom wrote:
Jon55 wrote:
Guest wrote:I used to love the train.

When I first left school with very few qualifications I got a job at the Barclays regional centre at Radbroke just outside Manchester. I used to go every day by train and back to Manchester and then the bus. I absolutely loved it.

Then I ruined it by learning to drive and I’ve never really got back to it! I realised I wasn’t really cut out for a proper career so I thought if I can drive surely I can teach others to! And the rest is history.


What has this to do with the thread? Mr Anonymous


r u american? or just an insomniac


Guess??
User avatar
Jon55
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:36 am
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: General train talk.

Postby jra » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:41 am

Guest wrote:I used to love the train.

When I first left school with very few qualifications I got a job at the Barclays regional centre at Radbroke just outside Manchester. I used to go every day by train and back to Manchester and then the bus. I absolutely loved it.

Then I ruined it by learning to drive and I’ve never really got back to it! I realised I wasn’t really cut out for a proper career so I thought if I can drive surely I can teach others to! And the rest is history.


I'd call being a driving instructor a pretty good career.

Having looked at the Northern TOC franchise they are one of the worst-performing on the UK mainland. One of only three TOCs where passenger numbers have actually decreased mainly due to the May 2018 timetable fiasco.
User avatar
jra
 
Posts: 17903
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Re: General train talk.

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:35 am

jra wrote:
Guest wrote:I used to love the train.

When I first left school with very few qualifications I got a job at the Barclays regional centre at Radbroke just outside Manchester. I used to go every day by train and back to Manchester and then the bus. I absolutely loved it.

Then I ruined it by learning to drive and I’ve never really got back to it! I realised I wasn’t really cut out for a proper career so I thought if I can drive surely I can teach others to! And the rest is history.


I'd call being a driving instructor a pretty good career.

Having looked at the Northern TOC franchise they are one of the worst-performing on the UK mainland. One of only three TOCs where passenger numbers have actually decreased mainly due to the May 2018 timetable fiasco.


Haha well my old girl used to say it was one of those jobs you did if you couldn’t do anything else :gigglesnshit:

I’ve never really been a sticker in any career, I’ve done everything from hospitals to office and back lol. No one seems to like me much so I move on :bawlin: :pmsl:

Anyway I still loves me trains !!!
User avatar
Guest
 

Re: General train talk.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Anyway in the end I ended up editing other peoples texts for a job with a two bit American tech firm . I weren’t no good me sen at writing but I could damn sure take a few words out here, add a comma here. It allowed me to work from home where for the first time fellow workers couldn’t hate my irrational, angry and paranoid take on the world!

Wish I had become a train driver which was me dream as a kid !!
User avatar
Guest
 

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests