All about boating.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: All about boating.

Postby McAz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Jon55 wrote:
McAz wrote:
Jon55 wrote:What makes you think I am female?

Males tend not to talk of being screwed over in public - something to do with testosterone I think. :dunno:

You might be right or you might be wrong .....

Or somewhere in between....
McAz

Postby Stooo » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:04 pm

McAz wrote:
Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:I haven't done a cruise myself, but have been on a number of cross channel ferries.

My dad has been on a couple of cruises with Fred Olsen Cruises and said they were very good, although pretty pricey.

I prefer the rough and tumble of Hull to Zeebrugge which I've done countless times - the ferry from Gib to Tangiers can be a laugh too. Cruising is too tame for me.

The river of vomit running up and down in the walkway between the seats when the big hovercraft hit heavy seas cross channel let alone the sound when a wave broke above the fan. They knew to put a sick gully in the design no doubt.

The best way to cross in in the tunnel on a motorbike. Everyone else is shut in their cars and the attendants always come and have a chat with you. I've used the hydroplane a couple of times and the bog standard ferry loads, I don't get seasick.

I haven't been on the hovercraft - and now I don't want to. :(

I don't think that they run the service anymore but it was as cool as fuck! It was referred to as an aircraft and the crew looked straight out of International Rescue :awesome: Lifting off as the skirt was filled, clearing the harbour and zooming to Calais in half an hour would have been on my bucket list if I hadn't already done it :laughing:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:
Stooo wrote:
McAz wrote:
jra wrote:I haven't done a cruise myself, but have been on a number of cross channel ferries.

My dad has been on a couple of cruises with Fred Olsen Cruises and said they were very good, although pretty pricey.

I prefer the rough and tumble of Hull to Zeebrugge which I've done countless times - the ferry from Gib to Tangiers can be a laugh too. Cruising is too tame for me.

The river of vomit running up and down in the walkway between the seats when the big hovercraft hit heavy seas cross channel let alone the sound when a wave broke above the fan. They knew to put a sick gully in the design no doubt.

The best way to cross in in the tunnel on a motorbike. Everyone else is shut in their cars and the attendants always come and have a chat with you. I've used the hydroplane a couple of times and the bog standard ferry loads, I don't get seasick.

I haven't been on the hovercraft - and now I don't want to. :(

I don't think that they run the service anymore but it was as cool as fuck! It was referred to as an aircraft and the crew looked straight out of International Rescue :awesome: Lifting off as the skirt was filled, clearing the harbour and zooming to Calais in half an hour would have been on my bucket list if I hadn't already done it :laughing:

It does sound like fun. :smilin:
McAz

Postby jra » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:06 pm

McAz wrote:

It's was pretty calm when I used the ferry, a bit of rolling, but no big deal if you've been out to sea in a small boat. It's a different kind of motion though.
jra

Postby McAz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:29 pm

jra wrote:
McAz wrote:

It's was pretty calm when I used the ferry, a bit of rolling, but no big deal if you've been out to sea in a small boat. It's a different kind of motion though.

I've been to sea in every kind of boat...

...but almost every time I cross the North Sea it blows up a storm.
McAz

Postby jra » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:34 am

Stooo wrote:
jra wrote:
Jobless Oddball wrote:
jra wrote:Inland or at sea. Your experiences good or bad.

My dad had a small yacht and we (when I was a young boy) spent overnights on the River Dart, River Avon (south Devon), River Erme, River Yealm, River Tamar and the St. Germans River.

I often used to go fishing off Salcombe harbour catching mainly mackerel, pollock, garfish and plaice from a small boat with a little engine.

I haven't yet been on a canal boat, but I've been to Tring on a few occasions where you can see the boats going up and down the Grand Union Canal.

Do you like boating because of the old oars?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :dunno:

Somehow I think there might be a play on words there. :dunno:

Mostly outboarding and a bit of sailing. My dad was a sailor and wasn't keen on speedboats and/or large outboards. 20hp + outboards cost a fortune and need two people to lift them or a crane. A 6-15hp outboard can be lifted by one strong person and is perfectly adequate for most small boats.

Other issues to consider are harbour dues and maintenance costs. The larger the boat the higher the costs.

It's a very expensive hobby if you want to go nuclear.

There is a maxim. The larger your boat, the fewer times you'll get around to using it.

A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into.

Indeed.

£50 for 2.5L of antifouling.

I went to the boat show at Earls Court in the 90's and stepped inside a Sunseeker motor yacht. It was very impressive and a bit like your own house on the water. It wasn't so impressive when you found out the purchase price, £250,000.

One thing about boats though is they do keep their value fairly well if looked after, unlike most cars.
jra

Postby jra » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:46 am

McAz wrote:
jra wrote:
McAz wrote:

I've been to sea in every kind of boat...

...but almost every time I cross the North Sea it blows up a storm.

You've used a ferry a lot more than me though. I've only been on a North Sea ferry once (Harwich - Hook of Holland) and admittedly it was a bit rougher than the channel ferries (Dover - Oostend, Southampton - Le Havre, Newhaven - Dieppe), but it was in the summer.
jra

Postby Jon55 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:09 am

McAz wrote:
Jon55 wrote:
McAz wrote:
Jon55 wrote:What makes you think I am female?

Males tend not to talk of being screwed over in public - something to do with testosterone I think. :dunno:

You might be right or you might be wrong .....

Or somewhere in between....

Eh? Are you accusing me of being a pansexual?
Jon55

Postby Jon55 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Bump!
Jon55

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug