My Covid19 worry

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

My Covid19 worry

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm

I've put this in the snug because it's a 'safe space' - no trolling.

People are all going to have different worries about the coronavirus and for most people those worries aren't selfish - they're based in concern for others. So I'm trying to create a safe space where you can say what worries you most in your personal circumstances about the current crisis.

So because I created this thread I'll go first

I'm a relatively fit and healthy person in his 50s and will probably survive infection when it's my turn.

My problem is that at this time of year I get a mild cough, a temperature and a headache because of seasonal allergies, don't wear yourself crying for me it's really not that bad and I've had fifty years to get used to it.

However for some people, and I don't know I'm not one of them, the coronavirus looks exactly the same as my allergies and my 87 year old mother, who has survived my alleriges for over half a century, might not survive coronavirus.

If I could be sure of the incubation period and that once infected I wouldn't be a carrier I would willingly be injected with the disease and self isolate for as long as necessary to know I was safe. Slightly over two years ago I lost my father, it was terrible but in some ways it was OK because Dad has lost his joy, he was ready for the end. As much of a pain in the ass as she can be Mum hasn't lost that joy and she isn't ready.

So am I a good son by going around and visiting durig this worrying time or am I a good son by staying away?

There's no good or definitive answer to that question - one day the answer will go one way and the next another but it's what's worrying me about the current emergency.

If you want to share - share, if you want to mock - fuck off - or just have a go at me while others share their worries
Cactus Jack

Re: My Covid19 worry

Postby dr synne » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Tough choice whether to visit or stay away. Horrible really.

On the positive side protective measures like face masks and gloves work better at preventing infecting someone rather than getting infected so there's stuff you can do to minimise the risk with a bit of research.

Failing that do you think she could get the hang of skyping - most older people aren't that great with those things I know. Or maybe just phone often and keep an eye on her that way.

I know what you mean though if my Mum was still with us I'd be frantic with worry and you just want to physically be there with them.

Hope it all pans out ok .
dr synne

Postby Bella » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:00 am

Cactus Jack wrote:I've put this in the snug because it's a 'safe space' - no trolling.

People are all going to have different worries about the coronavirus and for most people those worries aren't selfish - they're based in concern for others. So I'm trying to create a safe space where you can say what worries you most in your personal circumstances about the current crisis.

I'm a relatively fit and healthy person in his 50s and will probably survive infection when it's my turn.

My problem is that at this time of year I get a mild cough, a temperature and a headache because of seasonal allergies, don't wear yourself crying for me it's really not that bad and I've had fifty years to get used to it.

However for some people, and I don't know I'm not one of them, the coronavirus looks exactly the same as my allergies and my 87 year old mother, who has survived my alleriges for over half a century, might not survive coronavirus.

If I could be sure of the incubation period and that once infected I wouldn't be a carrier I would willingly be injected with the disease and self isolate for as long as necessary to know I was safe. Slightly over two years ago I lost my father, it was terrible but in some ways it was OK because Dad has lost his joy, he was ready for the end. As much of a pain in the ass as she can be Mum hasn't lost that joy and she isn't ready.

So am I a good son by going around and visiting durig this worrying time or am I a good son by staying away?

There's no good or definitive answer to that question - one day the answer will go one way and the next another but it's what's worrying me about the current emergency.

If you want to share - share, if you want to mock - fuck off - or just have a go at me while others share their worries

You are in difficult situation , I think you are good supporting you parent, what else could you do ?
Bella

Postby guest » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:05 am

Discuss it with your mum. Phone and "video conference". Care homes are stopping all visitors. Let's hope their staff are tested for it.

Postby Holly » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:48 am

I know this is hard, unfortunately we are all in the same boat now, so I would say atm it would be wise to stay away from your Mum, the best solution would be skyping on a daily bases, maybe even twice a day if that's an option for her. If she hasn't got access to a laptop or ipad, perhaps you could organise to get her one. It's the right thing to do to keep her and yourself safe. Lets be optimistic and hope that this crisis will pass sooner rather than later.

May you all stay safe!!!
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:24 am

Skyping would be great but I first showed my mother how to set the video recorder in the 1980s, and kept telling her right up until VCRs essentially went out of production in the early 2000s. How either of my parents managed to have a technonerd for a son is quite a mystery. If I didn't look so much like them I would be checking the adoption records :wurms:

Thanks for all the support, I really appreciate it.

If you're in the same boat, or a different boat sailing in the same storm, share here.
Cactus Jack

Postby Major » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:48 am

Very good post.
You must not let your heart rule your brain, you must brave mate, you are the one who has to lead the way.
Communicate by telephone, if possible communicate through a open window, door, keep your distance, were gloves, do not touch anyone or be touched.
There is not a easy solution but TRY CJ.

Best wishes to you CJ and anyone else in a similar situation.
Major
Twat.

Postby dr synne » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:38 am

Major wrote:Very good post.
You must not let your heart rule your brain, you must brave mate, you are the one who has to lead the way.
Communicate by telephone, if possible communicate through a open window, door, keep your distance, were gloves, do not touch anyone or be touched.
There is not a easy solution but TRY CJ.

Best wishes to you CJ and anyone else in a similar situation.

That's an idea. On nice days sit in the garden and she sits in the kitchen with the window open. Something like that.

On the subject of what worries me. When I was a kid I used to have a really bad phobia about this type of things, plagues, pandemics etc.

Ironically now I feel like the only one who isn't worried. I'm so not worried that it's worrying lol.

Although I do understand some have a reason for worrying.
dr synne

Postby Text » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:I've put this in the snug because it's a 'safe space' - no trolling.

It's best to get professional advice, then sit down and weigh up all your options.
I honestly don't think you should request - or accept advice from strangers on forums on such crucial decisions.
You sound like a loving, devoted son. You're clearly a caring man, Cactus. All the best to your family. :thumbsup:
Text

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:49 am

The global economy and who will ride to the rescue is my biggest concern.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Bella » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:25 am

I was working up in Ambleside/Langdales etc last weekend, no where to park in Ambleside, drove around for 20 minutes in the car park for a space, it was packed.So now a rant, fuck off and stay at home, we don't need your so called self isolating in our holiday cottages etc here so you can walk the fells and spread your germs and feel smug and post your lovely photos . We have no hospital space here and the mountain rescue won't get to you when you go out wild camping on top of a fucking mountain. I won't be cleaning your holiday cottage either whilst you smugly "self isolate" in "the Lakes " because I get no extra pay for what is advertised as extra cleaning, a couple of pairs disposable glove and 1 antibac spray.I'm not doing it , I don't desperately need the money , it is just something to keep me fit and out and about. Love it usually but not now!

Bella

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:50 am

Airports seaports ferries public transport hotels pubs clubs restaurants hairdressers closing down laying off millions of people around the world.
Nissan Ford Vauxhall Volkswagen BMW Toyota even Airbus laying off hundreds of thousands of people around the world.
The people who make the rubber mats the seats the relay switches the cables and connectors the windscreens and their wipers and windows all affected and closing down.
Nothing like this has ever happened before not even in the worst recessions in history.
This is the remaking of the world we live in.
This isn't a hiccup or a recession or even an economic collapse .... this is the total destruction of the world we knew.
Along with the technology of today and an unpayable debt of over two hundred trillion dollars around the world to a handful of people nothing much will be the same as it was when the dust settles.
Who will come to our rescue when it gets really dark?
The international banking families in some guise or another and that frightens me more than the virus.
Global solutions for global problems ....listen out for that ... global solutions for global problems and they'll throw in the made up climate crisis too which will lead to massive corporations owning all the land and making food like products from the vegetation of the earth telling us it's good for us and no meat .... meat bad food like products based on mass chemically produced greenery good.
Machines doing all the work technology and algorithms making the life and death decisions.
Some of you may not realise that's where we already it just needs rounding up a little for total control and ownership.
That's what really frightens me about this pandemic.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Bella » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:02 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Airports seaports ferries public transport hotels pubs clubs restaurants hairdressers closing down laying off millions of people around the the world.
Nissan Ford Vauxhall Volkswagen BMW Toyota even Airbus laying off hundreds of thousands of people around the world.
The people who make the rubber mats the seats the relay switches the cables and connectors the windscreens and windows all affected and closing down.
Nothing like this has ever happened before not even in the worst recessions in history.
This is the remaking of the world you live in.
iThis isn't a hiccup or a recession or even an economic collapse .... this is the total destruction of the world we knew.
Along with the technology of today and an unpayable debt of over two hundred trillion dollars around the world to a handful of people nothing much will be the same as it was when the dust settles.
Who will come to our rescue when it gets really dark/
The international banking families in some guise or another and that frightens me more than the virus.

I'm thankful that I live in UK despite our useless Boris. Poor folks in India and Africa etc with poor sanitation, we have much to grateful for. Family and friends is all.
Bella

Postby calitom » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:19 am

Call her as much as possible.And just tell her its for a short time until they have the bug going around under control.
My dad is 90 and lives across country from me.I have 3 or 4 trips scheduled to see him this spring/summer. HE has self quarrantined .Wont let anyone in his house.
My sis drops stuff at his from door.He WILL go drive his truck to the grocery store for food--But he is all bundled up and probbly takes a purell bath when he gets home.
I hope this thing is over by may at the latest because at 90 there wont be many seasons left to spend with him.
Im sure your mom will appreciate the frequent calls--with the constant reassurance that this 'situation' will be over soon(lets hope)
calitom

Postby calitom » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:27 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Airports seaports ferries public transport hotels pubs clubs restaurants hairdressers closing down laying off millions of people around the world.
The people who make the rubber mats the seats the relay switches the cables and connectors the windscreens and their wipers and windows all affected and closing down.
This is the remaking of the world we live in.
This isn't a hiccup or a recession or even an economic collapse .... this is the total destruction of the world we knew.
Who will come to our rescue when it gets really dark?
Global solutions for global problems ....listen out for that ... global solutions for global problems and they'll throw in the made up climate crisis too which will lead to massive corporations owning all the land and making food like products from the vegetation of the earth telling us it's good for us and no meat .... meat bad food like products based on mass chemically produced greenery good.
Machines doing all the work technology and algorithms making the life and death decisions.
Some of you may not realise that's where we already it just needs rounding up a little for total control and ownership.
That's what really frightens me about this pandemic.

lot of truth there Jack.
I think in America this is a strike one and strike 2 situation(not sure if you get the baseball reference) but it means that we cant go thru this shit again.This needs to be a one off
or we will devolve into totalitarianism.
It probably is better to take common sense measures vs the draconian measures being used.--I mean in the future.This present situation may have needed this extreme just to be
completely safe...
Very dangerous .
Lets hope this is over soon.
calitom

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug