Fruits from your garden.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Fruits from your garden.

Postby common sense » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:17 pm

So what fruits have you had from your garden this summer then? We've had loads of pears from the pear tree. It got so many that branches were nearly breaking under the weight.

Also she has a raspberry bush so we had a few bowls of nice raspberries last month.
common sense

Re: Fruits from your garden.

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:22 pm

6 apples 6 pears I think so few because we have let the trees grow to0 mad in all directions so they'll be getting a good pruning soon as the sap stops rising.
A few strawberries.
Absolutely loads of plums loganberries black berries blackcurrant raspberries potatoes corn peas carrots onions ginger chilli marrow .... the marrow has gone into home made Piccalilli.
Mint ... curry plant and a few more herbs that I can't remember just now.
We only have a modest garden too but it produces like mad.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Some brambles hanging over the wall had blackberries but I've poisoned the damn things and they're dying off.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Stooo wrote:Some brambles hanging over the wall had blackberries but I've poisoned the damn things and they're dying off.

Why would you poison food?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:19 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:Some brambles hanging over the wall had blackberries but I've poisoned the damn things and they're dying off.

Because the weeds block the light into my tiny courtyard and the estate that is responsible for them doesn't give a toss. I'm going to poison the mould growing on the walls because of them as well.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:29 pm

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

Because the weeds block the light into my tiny courtyard and the estate that is responsible for them doesn't give a toss. I'm going to poison the mould growing on the walls because of them as well.

The wildlife could have had the fruit and then you could have destroyed it.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:32 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

The only wildlife out there is fruit flies and spiders. :again?:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:

The only wildlife out there is fruit flies and spiders. :again?:

Birds would have had them and had the flies and spiders but your space mate.
For a garden that produces goodies my wife insists on it looking pretty scruffy as it encourages insect life hedgehogs birds but beware if a fucking slug raises it's little fat head .... salted!
Same for a few other wee beasties.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Bella » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:48 pm

We had loads of cherries, very poor show of quince, loads of apples, a few tomatoes and beans
Bella

Postby Stooo » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:52 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Birds would have had them and had the flies and spiders but your space mate.
For a garden that produces goodies my wife insists on it looking pretty scruffy as it encourages insect life hedgehogs birds but beware if a fucking slug raises it's little fat head .... salted!

I've got a bird feeder up. The squished rat in my parking space was a foot long + tail, I don't really need that sort of wildlife.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Bella wrote:We had loads of cherries, very poor show of quince, loads of apples, a few tomatoes and beans

Strawbs toms and apples a complete flop this year.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:54 pm

Stooo wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:Birds would have had them and had the flies and spiders but your space mate.

I've got a bird feeder up. The squished rat in my parking space was a foot long + tail, I don't really need that sort of wildlife.

I've lived where I am now for 6 or 7 years and not seen a rat but there always never far off.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Bella » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:59 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Bella wrote:We had loads of cherries, very poor show of quince, loads of apples, a few tomatoes and beans

Strawbs toms and apples a complete flop this year.

Yes, bad July weather and too many slugs, a bit disappointing this year!
Bella

Postby Text » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:32 pm

common sense wrote: ...... We've had loads of pears ..... from the pear tree. ......

You don't say. :yikes: :yikes:
Plus the odd partridge too?

We have a crop of very sad looking, mis-shappen gooseberries which we did not plant, dunno how they got there.
Won't consume them, neighbours' pets have probably pee'd on them anyway.

Will get some topsoil for next spring and attempt growing some lettuces & tomatoes, tips welcome. :laughing:
Text

Postby common sense » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:58 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I've lived where I am now for 6 or 7 years and not seen a rat but there always never far off.

They say you're never more than a few feet away from a rat.
common sense

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug