Sarah Harding.

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Sarah Harding.

Postby dog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:23 pm

Just read on Twitter that Sarah Harding from Girls Aloud has died from breast cancer age 39.

How sad that young people are still dying of cancer in 2021.
dog

Re: Sarah Harding.

Postby Raggamuffin » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:43 pm

Very sad indeed. A year ago she said it had spread to other parts of her body. I suppose she was too young to have regular mammograms.
Raggamuffin

Postby Jason » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:50 pm

At my age, I'm a long way outside the demographic for Girls Aloud but I remember being genuinely sad when I read that her cancer was terminal. 39 is no age really. Sad news.
Jason

Postby dog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:51 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Very sad indeed. A year ago she said it had spread to other parts of her body. I suppose she was too young to have regular mammograms.

I think you have to be over 50 to be invited for a mammogram although a few of my colleagues have been a couple of years older.

I'm dreading when it's time for me to be invited for one as I've been told it's quite uncomfortable. I also know all the staff on the clinic so I think that will be embarrassing but I will obviously still go for one.
dog

Postby dog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:52 pm

Jason wrote:At my age, I'm a long way outside the demographic for Girls Aloud but I remember being genuinely sad when I read that her cancer was terminal. 39 is no age really. Sad news.

I wasn't a big Girls Aloud fan but did enjoy some of their songs.

I agree, 39 is far too young.
dog

Postby drum » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:54 pm

Sadly women in the UK don't get mammograms until they are 50, should be much lower, same with the smear tests.
Sad news, 39 is no age at all.
drum

Postby Holly » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:15 pm

dog wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Very sad indeed. A year ago she said it had spread to other parts of her body. I suppose she was too young to have regular mammograms.

I think you have to be over 50 to be invited for a mammogram although a few of my colleagues have been a couple of years older.

I'm dreading when it's time for me to be invited for one as I've been told it's quite uncomfortable. I also know all the staff on the clinic so I think that will be embarrassing but I will obviously still go for one.

I had to have one because I felt something that shouldn't have been there. Turned out to be just a cyst...but I can assure you, it really was nothing. I was in and out in 5 minutes. It was only a bit of a hard squeeze, that was all. Seriously, it is nothing. Yes, perhaps you could call it a bit uncomfortable, but again, it really isn't bad at all. Not as uncomfortable as you might think. Quick squeeze here and there and it's over.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby dog » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:20 pm

Holly wrote:
dog wrote:

I had to have one because I felt something that shouldn't have been there. Turned out to be just a cyst...but I can assure you, it really was nothing. I was in and out in 5 minutes. It was only a bit of a hard squeeze, that was all. Seriously, it is nothing. Yes, perhaps you could call it a bit uncomfortable, but again, it really isn't bad at all. Not as uncomfortable as you might think. Quick squeeze here and there and it's over.

I'm probably over thinking it and I'm not due one yet so not sure why I'm so worried about it.
dog

Postby Grafenwalder » Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:43 pm

It's very sad news and yes, 39 is no age at all. It reminded me of Caron Keating, Gloria Hunnifords daughter who died in 2004 from exactly the same cancer at just 41 and she was married with two young children.
Grafenwalder

Postby drum » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:10 am

dog wrote:

It's not as bad as people make out, got more embarrassed having squished boobies in the machine, but it's over in 5 minutes, and results usually within a fortnight. I got mine done in a van in Tesco car park.
drum

Postby dog » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:25 am

drum wrote:
dog wrote:

It's not as bad as people make out, got more embarrassed having squished boobies in the machine, but it's over in 5 minutes, and results usually within a fortnight. I got mine done in a van in Tesco car park.

My colleague said they handle your boobs like a piece of meat.
I suppose there is no other way to handle them lol.
For the above reasons though I will request an appointment at a different hospital where the staff don't know me.
dog

Postby drum » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:49 am

dog wrote:
drum wrote:
dog wrote:

For the above reasons though I will request an appointment at a different hospital where the staff don't know me.

They feed them into the machine, they arent massaging or checking your boobs, just lifting them into the machine, then that closes down a bit , feels tight for a second but bearable. You might get an appointment for one of the vans rather than hospital. The only issue I had was the little change rooms are really little. You change into a paper gown for your top half and in you go.
drum

Postby dog » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:58 am

drum wrote:
dog wrote:
drum wrote:
dog wrote:

My daughter found a lump a couple of years ago (thankfully was just a cyst) and she had a scan on hers rather than a mammogram, I'm wondering if that was because of her age though? I think I would rather have the scan lol

They feed them into the machine, they arent massaging or checking your boobs, just lifting them into the machine, then that closes down a bit , feels tight for a second but bearable. You might get an appointment for one of the vans rather than hospital. The only issue I had was the little change rooms are really little. You change into a paper gown for your top half and in you go.
dog

Postby Snookerballs » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:20 am

drum wrote:Sadly women in the UK don't get mammograms until they are 50, should be much lower, same with the smear tests.

Men do not get a choice as to whether they are tested for Cancers, they have to request the tests .

RIP Sarah
Snookerballs

Postby drum » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:20 pm

Snookerballs wrote:
drum wrote:Sadly women in the UK don't get mammograms until they are 50, should be much lower, same with the smear tests.

Men do not get a choice as to whether they are tested for Cancers, they have to request the tests .

RIP Sarah

That is true, also, boys don't get the HPV vaccine, another invasive cancer, only girls. It should be for both.
drum

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug