Wood burners

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Wood burners

Postby Lola » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Does anyone know if its safe to burn wood that has been varnished or painted ? I have a sack full but am afraid to burn some of it as it might be toxic ????
Lola

Re: Wood burners

Postby Stooo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:41 pm

lola wrote:Does anyone know if its safe to burn wood that has been varnished or painted ? I have a sack full but am afraid to burn some of it as it might be toxic ????

No, it's not safe. It will give off toxic fumes and make your house smell awful. Also there may be lead in the paint and all sorts of nasty stuff. Just use untreated logs Lola.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lola » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too, people keep giving me loads of wood but its all shit with paint on so im sticking to trees thanks Stoo :Wiiiine!:
Lola

Postby Bella » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 pm

I burn a lot of old pallets on mine ,Lola.The nails are a problem when cleaning it out but they burn well if you can find some.
Bella

Postby Lola » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:52 pm

I know a load of builders Bella who are bringing truck loads of wood round to me which is nice of them but i came across some with paint on and so im not burning that. I think these wood burners are ace though and apart from the nails I love it :warmfire:
Lola

Postby Stooo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:56 pm

Bella wrote:I burn a lot of old pallets on mine ,Lola.The nails are a problem when cleaning it out but they burn well if you can find some.

Quick burning though Bella. My Dad uses pallet wood for kindling and logs for a hot fire.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Bella » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:59 pm

I have mine burning too,Lola :warmfire: O.H bought more pallet wood back from work to day :twirl: heats the whole house up :fire:
Bella

Postby Bella » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Stooo wrote:
Bella wrote:I burn a lot of old pallets on mine ,Lola.The nails are a problem when cleaning it out but they burn well if you can find some.

Quick burning though Bella. My Dad uses pallet wood for kindling and logs for a hot fire.

It is but it's free and good for getting the fire going,we get alot of logs from dead tree's etc in my Dads garden but they don't always burn well.
Bella

Postby Stooo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Bella wrote:
Stooo wrote:

It is but it's free and good for getting the fire going,we get alot of logs from dead tree's etc in my Dads garden but they don't always burn well.

Do you season them? His are left for at least six months before use.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Bella » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:11 pm

My Dad used to,Stooo,he had them all piled neatly up in an outhouse ready for winter when he was more able ,we are not so organised though :shame: Lack of time,we just take anything that burns at the moment :oops:
Bella

Postby Rollup. » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 pm

If you gotta good chimney a bit of paint won't do you any harm but ...it may well build up inside the flue and the fire box and gradually diminish the efficiency of the burner.

...if you have a glass fronted one paint can really fuck the glass up.
Rollup.

Postby Bella » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:42 pm

Rollup wrote:If you gotta good chimney a bit of paint won't do you any harm but ...it may well build up inside the flue and the fire box and gradually diminish the efficiency of the burner.

...if you have a glass fronted one paint can really fuck the glass up.

The glass on mine has cracked,I need a replacement.
Bella

Postby Major » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:51 pm

I have had wood burnuz and our kids have them now.
We burn all logs painted wood on them.
If you have a good pull on your chimney you are OK. the smoke goes away.
Not had probz.-
Major
Twat.

Postby Bella » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 pm

Mine is burning well tonight,Major,OH bought more pallets back to burn,it's lovely and warm in here :fire: Mine is a multi fuel burner but the wood definately gives off more heat :cheers:
Bella

Postby Major » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:33 pm

Bella wrote:Mine is burning well tonight,Major,OH bought more pallets back to burn,it's lovely and warm in here :fire: Mine is a multi fuel burner but the wood definately gives off more heat :cheers:

Hello Bella. Do you have a toasting fork and have a bit in front of the fire, bloomin lovely. Best when ashes are cherry red.
Major
Twat.

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug