Dogs Arms Jukebox Part XVI

Big Threads

Dogs Arms Jukebox Part XVI

Postby Bella » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:54 pm

jra wrote:Further to my post above.

Here is Nina Kraviz, giving one a very good idea of the principles of mixing, as the camera is primarily focused on her equipment, which is two CD mixing desks, 2 (vinyl) turntables, a spare CD mixer and of course the mixing console itself, which has faders and various (many) pitch controls, e.g. for treble and bass. Now, personally I don't rate her in the top 20 world's best DJs, but compared with the average nightclub or pub DJ, she'll piss over them and stamp them into the ground. That's why she is is paid big bucks.

Skip into about 40-41 minutes, where you can see her spinning the record (vinyl) in order to sync it and adjusting the speed of the turntable with the vari-speed control.

Also, notice how she uses the headphones. Rarely are both ears covered by the headphone earpads, as she is using mono sound in order to get the correct mix.

Nina Kraviz Boiler Room Berlin DJ Set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xogJgUteDAs

I'm enjoying your music choice and comments, love the one above.
Bella

Re: Dogs Arms Jukebox Part XV

Postby calitom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:06 pm

Bella wrote:

Here is Nina Kraviz, giving one a very good idea of the principles of mixing, as the camera is primarily focused on her equipment, which is two CD mixing desks, 2 (vinyl) turntables, a spare CD mixer and of course the mixing console itself, which has faders and various (many) pitch controls, e.g. for treble and bass. Now, personally I don't rate her in the top 20 world's best DJs, but compared with the average nightclub or pub DJ, she'll piss over them and stamp them into the ground. That's why she is is paid big bucks.

Skip into about 40-41 minutes, where you can see her spinning the record (vinyl) in order to sync it and adjusting the speed of the turntable with the vari-speed control.

Also, notice how she uses the headphones. Rarely are both ears covered by the headphone earpads, as she is using mono sound in order to get the correct mix.

we on sprockets enjoy it as well.
calitom

Postby Bella » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:09 pm

Bella

Postby jra » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:03 am

Bella wrote:

Thank you.

Here is Sven Vath again (I think I posted it in another thread).

I particularly like about 13 mins in.

Rachel Row followed by Boris Werner. See track list below.

Sven only uses a couple of couple of vinyl decks and a mixing console.

Sven Väth Boiler Room Berlin Groove Magazine take-over Mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uInltd4OkTQ

Track list.
01 Flying Lotus Feat. Thom Yorke - Electric Candyman 02 Matthew Herbert - It's Only (DJ Koze Remix) [Pampa - 012] 03 Shed - Day After 04 Rachel Row - Follow The Step (KiNK Beat Mix) [Pets - 025] 05 Boris Werner - Set It Off (Makam Orchestra Drama Remix) [Soweso - SWS 014] 06 Daniel Stefanik - Rush [Cocoon - CORCD 031DIGITAL-X] 07 Marcel Fengler - Frantic [Ostgut Ton - OTON 060] 08 Stephen Brown - Fuego (Ben Sims Remix) [Theory - 041] 09 Psyk - Distane [Mote Evolver - MOTE 031D] 10 Urban Peace - Get Up (Clap Yo Hands) (Blake Baxter Get Lifted Mix) [Cyren - CYR 1015] 11 Tuff City Kids - SFS [Unterton - 02] 12 Eats Everything - Vertigo [Dirtybird - DB 077] 13 I:Cube - Transpiration [Versatile - VER 076] 14 Margot - Liuff Settanta [Hell Yeah - HYR 7097] 15 Gary Beck - Before The Crash 16 Harvey McKay - First Strike From Mars 17 Manic Brothers - Black Bay 18 Donna Summer - I Feel Love (Sterac Instrumental Dub) 19 Gregor Tresher - About A Good Place 20 Guy J - Fixation 21 Terranova Feat. Thomas Hoffding - Question Mark (Adam Port Remix) 22 Delano Smith - Inspiration (Reconstructed By Makam)
jra

Postby jra » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:14 pm

In the Kink Moscow mix above, watch 1:02 to 1:09+

1:02 Fancy gadget.
1:07 More gadgetry and that woman with the front bumbag is flirting with him big time.
1:09 Now he's tapping a vinyl record to produce a sound.
jra

Postby jra » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 pm

calitom wrote:
Bella wrote:

we on sprockets enjoy it as well.

Sprockets?

Just to add some more info.

Nina has four fader controls, rectangular buttons near her on the mixing console, one for each bit of equipment. The two inside ones are for the vinyl turntables. The two outside ones are for the CD mixers. Volume off is down towards her, on is up away from her. Normally only two faders will be set upwards when she is mixing and then she'll slide one down towards her, after having mixed one source into another. The vinyl turntables are vari-speed, so after she has adjusted the stylus to the right part of the record, either by rotating the record itself or twisting the turntable spindle (either way) she can get the stylus into the right position in the groove for the next mix in. To do this you need to listen to the next source sound through headphones. It's very difficult mixing vinyl. I can't stress that enough.

Similarly with CD mixers, but they are not as sensitive in terms of skipping (needle slip) and various other issues that vinyl suffers from, e.g. dust/detritus collecting on the stylus and vinyl defects. Ideally for a vinyl record you need the best type of stylus to fit into the record grooves and this is usually one of an elongated elliptical profile and you are normally talking serious money here, as the stylus pick up is made out of diamond.

DJs tend to use cheaper cartridges than high end, as they are very easy to damage and they get a lot of wear and tear out on the circuit, compared with a high end hifi system you might have at home.
jra

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:53 pm

Big Fat Frosty

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:33 pm

Big Fat Frosty

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:54 pm

Big Fat Frosty

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:32 pm