Portia - the small but perfectly formed genius.

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

Portia - the small but perfectly formed genius.

Postby Keyser » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:15 pm

I wonder if anyone was watching The Hunt last night?

The section on the Portia genus was simply wonderful.

I knew about these incredible little spiders but it's the first time many will have seen it's remarkable cognitive abilities and sophisticated hunting strategies.

I watched that little section twice although it was not exactly a must for arachnophobes. :doomed: :mrgreen:
Keyser

Re: Portia - the small but perfectly formed genius.

Postby Robocop » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Great threads on DS by the way- will be a shame if you're banned.

Now whilst I love nature programs and the Hunt is no different, I have always been a bit of an arachnophobe. Having said that, the Portia spider was fucking amazing. I was absolutely amazed that a) I'd never heard about it and b) just how remarkable its 'powers' were.

I was actually a bit skeptical about whether they were over-egging it's ability and indeed 'plan of attack' type strategy and capabilities, but yeah genuinely amazing stuff.
Robocop

Postby Keyser » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:44 pm

Robocop wrote:Great threads on DS by the way- will be a shame if you're banned.

Now whilst I love nature programs and the Hunt is no different, I have always been a bit of an arachnophobe. Having said that, the Portia spider was fucking amazing. I was absolutely amazed that a) I'd never heard about it and b) just how remarkable its 'powers' were.

I was actually a bit skeptical about whether they were over-egging it's ability and indeed 'plan of attack' type strategy and capabilities, but yeah genuinely amazing stuff.

Looks like I am banned for good because the mod reply function does not work and the HM's I sent have been ignored.

I will really miss it. :shake head:

Portia is a bloody amazing animal - there is a shitload on the web about it - if nothing else it proves that brain size is not always the be all and end all - neural architecture and wiring is also important.

It's a shame this science forum is so quiet.

I was thinking about starting a thread where I could stick all my various interests into - but as it takes effort I am not sure many would read or reply. :smilin:

Plenty read my threads but few posted.
Keyser

Postby Robocop » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:03 pm

Yes, I was genuinely astounded by Portia- and despite my dislike of spiders and all things creepy (sorry can't help it) I couldn't help but be fascinated, and now I want to know more.

I posted in a couple of your threads on DS and certainly followed them, but rarely had anything to add that would be up to 'standard' as it were, or didn't seem to be already covered! Many of the posts and links you put there were great though.

I can appreciate the effort that goes into it, but judging by some of the comments in the other thread on here many enjoy what you post on animals and intelligence etc so if you DO decide to do one on here, I for one shall be reading, and you never know, hopefully contributing too.

I totally get it if you can't be arsed though. Post in peace Keyser Soze. :thumbsup:
Robocop

Postby Robocop » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Yes, I was genuinely astounded by Portia- and despite my dislike of spiders and all things creepy (sorry can't help it) I couldn't help but be fascinated, and now I want to know more.

I posted in a couple of your threads on DS and certainly followed them, but rarely had anything to add that would be up to 'standard' as it were, or didn't seem to be already covered! Many of the posts and links you put there were great though.

I can appreciate the effort that goes into it, but judging by some of the comments in the other thread on here many enjoy what you post on animals and intelligence etc so if you DO decide to do one on here, I for one shall be reading, and you never know, hopefully contributing too.

I totally get it if you can't be arsed though. Post in peace Keyser Soze. :thumbsup:
Robocop

Postby Keyser » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:07 pm

Robocop wrote:Yes, I was genuinely astounded by Portia- and despite my dislike of spiders and all things creepy (sorry can't help it) I couldn't help but be fascinated, and now I want to know more.

Cheers!

I did start a thread in the snug.

I will not be posting as often as I did on DS but when I am in the mood I may pop a few links in from time to time - the mummified cave lion cubs are a truly spectacular discovery. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Return to Science And Technology