Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Literary Corner

Postby Dimples » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:40 pm

For recommendation and discussion of books - good or bad. :thumbsup:
Dimples

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Northern » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:42 pm

ploppy i have stickied this for now to see if stooo thinks it is a good idea to keep it stickied, as it could be an ever growing thread
Northern

Postby Dimples » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:52 pm

NStar wrote:ploppy i have stickied this for now to see if stooo thinks it is a good idea to keep it stickied, as it could be an ever growing thread

Fine by me NStar - whatever you think is best.

I'm actually on non-fiction myself just now - I'm reading An Utterly Exasperated History of Modern Britain: or Sixty Years of Making the Same Stupid Mistakes as Always - by John O'Farrell. It's quite amusing. :gigglesnshit:

When I'm done with that, I'm going to embark upon Fragrant Harbour by John Lanchester - it's set in Hong Kong beginning in the 1930s - so we shall see what I think of that. I've just finished A Handful; of Dust by Evelyn Waugh - I seem to be going through a 1930s phase just now!! :thumbsup:
Dimples

Postby Northern » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:01 pm

I am still reading on with Book 4 - aleister crowley (for the umpteenth time) really heavy reading, but it gets slightly easier each time i pick it up. I also fancy reading Cosmic Trigger - Robert Anton Wilson
Northern

Postby Dimples » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:05 pm

NStar wrote:I am still reading on with Book 4 - aleister crowley (for the umpteenth time) really heavy reading, but it gets slightly easier each time i pick it up. I also fancy reading Cosmic Trigger - Robert Anton Wilson

He was a weird one - was Aleister Crowley!! Well ahead of his time, methinks!! :pmsl:
Dimples

Postby Northern » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:08 pm

here is just a little extract from Magick : Book 4 for you plopps

Every nursery rime contains profound magical secrets which are open to every one who has made a study of the correspondences of the Holy Qabalah. To puzzle out an imaginary meaning for this "nonsense" sets one thinking of the Mysteries; one enters into deep contemplation of holy things and God Himself leads the soul to a real illumination. Hence also the necessity of Incarnation; the soul must descend into all falsity in order to attain All-Truth.

For instance:

Old Mother Hubbard
Went to her cupboard
To get her poor dog a bone;
When she got there,
The cupboard was bare,
And so the poor dog had none.

Who is this ancient and venerable mother of whom it is spoken? Verily she is none other than Binah, as is evident in the use of the holy letter H with which her name begins.
Nor is she the sterile Mother Ama-but the fertile Aima; for within her she bears Vau, the son, for the second letter of her name, and R, the penultimate, is the Sun, Tiphareth, the Son.
The other three letters of her name, B, A, and D, are the three paths which join the three supernals.
To what cupboard did she go? Even to the most secret caverns of the Universe. And who is this dog? Is it not the name of God spelt Qabalistically backwards? And what is this bone? The bone is the Wand, the holy Lingam!
The complete interpretation of the rune is now open. This rime is the legend of the murder of Osiris by Typhon.
The limbs of Osiris were scattered in the Nile.
Isis sought them in every corner of the Universe, and she found all except his sacred lingam, which was not found until quite recently
Northern

Postby NAA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:12 pm

I have just ordered

"I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced"
Nujood Ali"

Hopefully it will arrive this week, I've read her story on Newspapers and blogs and Im looking fwd to the full account.

Ive just started reading The World House by Guy Adams, perhaps its just too hot, maybe Im not concentrating, but I think I need to start again at chapter one and maybe it will make sense....... :dunno:
NAA

Postby Dimples » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:15 pm

NStar wrote:here is just a little extract from Magick : Book 4 for you plopps

Every nursery rime contains profound magical secrets which are open to every one who has made a study of the correspondences of the Holy Qabalah. To puzzle out an imaginary meaning for this "nonsense" sets one thinking of the Mysteries; one enters into deep contemplation of holy things and God Himself leads the soul to a real illumination. Hence also the necessity of Incarnation; the soul must descend into all falsity in order to attain All-Truth.

For instance:

Old Mother Hubbard
Went to her cupboard
To get her poor dog a bone;
When she got there,
The cupboard was bare,
And so the poor dog had none.

Who is this ancient and venerable mother of whom it is spoken? Verily she is none other than Binah, as is evident in the use of the holy letter H with which her name begins.
Nor is she the sterile Mother Ama-but the fertile Aima; for within her she bears Vau, the son, for the second letter of her name, and R, the penultimate, is the Sun, Tiphareth, the Son.
The other three letters of her name, B, A, and D, are the three paths which join the three supernals.
To what cupboard did she go? Even to the most secret caverns of the Universe. And who is this dog? Is it not the name of God spelt Qabalistically backwards? And what is this bone? The bone is the Wand, the holy Lingam!
The complete interpretation of the rune is now open. This rime is the legend of the murder of Osiris by Typhon.
The limbs of Osiris were scattered in the Nile.
Isis sought them in every corner of the Universe, and she found all except his sacred lingam, which was not found until quite recently

Well, exactly - it's all there isn't it?

Penis envy!! :thumbsup:

:pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:
Dimples

Postby Northern » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:17 pm

NAA wrote:I have just ordered

Nujood Ali"

Hopefully it will arrive this week, I've read her story on Newspapers and blogs and Im looking fwd to the full account.:

what is her story NAA?
Northern

Postby Dimples » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Nujood Ali"

Hopefully it will arrive this week, I've read her story on Newspapers and blogs and Im looking fwd to the full account.

That looks interesting NAA. :thumbsup:

Have you read any of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's work? She's a remarkable woman.
Dimples

Postby Bella » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Just started reading "Something to tell you"-by Hanif Kureishi- it hasn't captivated me so far, as his other novels did...... but I'll let you know if it does.

I read a book in a day if it interests me enough, rare occurrence these days though

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 95442.html
Bella

Postby NAA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:43 pm

NStar wrote:

Nujood Ali"

Hopefully it will arrive this week, I've read her story on Newspapers and blogs and Im looking fwd to the full account.:

what is her story NAA?

Nujood was ten years old, in Yemen and married off to a 30 year old man. He abused her, sexually and physically and mentally, somehow with a little help from an aunt, she went to the court house and asked for a divorce...... Shocking and dangerous... As luck had it, one of the very few women lawyers , and feminist activist was at court, she took her home with her and supported her, became her council for free and put her in touch with international womens groups.

She hopes to study and become a lawyer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/0 ... 85952.html
NAA

Postby NAA » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 pm

Mrs Ploppy wrote:

Nujood Ali"

That looks interesting NAA. :thumbsup:

Have you read any of Ayaan Hirsi Ali's work? She's a remarkable woman.

No I haven't, I shall read about her tomorrow.
NAA

Postby Bella » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:26 am

If your interested in Arabic literature,NAA,I can recommend Nawal El-Sawaadawi. I may re-read them myself ,now they've been brought to my attention again.

http://www.nawalsaadawi.net/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... n-feminist
Bella

Postby Northern » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:17 am

NAA wrote:
NStar wrote:

Nujood Ali"

what is her story NAA?

Nujood was ten years old, in Yemen and married off to a 30 year old man. He abused her, sexually and physically and mentally, somehow with a little help from an aunt, she went to the court house and asked for a divorce...... Shocking and dangerous... As luck had it, one of the very few women lawyers , and feminist activist was at court, she took her home with her and supported her, became her council for free and put her in touch with international womens groups.

She hopes to study and become a lawyer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/0 ... 85952.html

sounds interesting, may give it a shot, let me know what you think after you have read it plz
Northern

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug