Cecil The Lion Part Two.

Big Threads

Cecil The Lion Part Two.

Postby Vicky » Tue May 24, 2016 5:56 am

I didn't think this thread would make 100 pages, but it's proved to be very popular and we'll make sure we keep Cecil's memory alive in a second thread.

Vicky

Re: Cecil The Lion.

Postby Keyser » Thu May 26, 2016 7:47 am

Another article on the recent statistical study by ecologist Charles Paxton which estimated the possible maximum size of the Giant squid - 20 metres or so.

http://www.livescience.com/54870-giant- ... -size.html

Even a relative tiddler of only 9.2 metres is still an impressive beast.
Keyser

Postby Egalabalus » Thu May 26, 2016 8:10 am

Victoria wrote:I didn't think this thread would make 100 pages, but it's proved very popular and we'll make sure we keep Cecil's memory alive in a second thread.

FFS Vicky, it was a wild animal who would eat you given half a chance. :doomed:

It wasn't Ghandi or Mother Teresa. :woteva:
Egalabalus

Postby Holly » Thu May 26, 2016 8:29 am

Egalabalus wrote:
Victoria wrote:I didn't think this thread would make 100 pages, but it's proved very popular and we'll make sure we keep Cecil's memory alive in a second thread.

No it wouldn't eat her cos I don't think anyone in their right mind would put themselves into that situation. Yes it was a wild animal, does it have any less right to live than you? IMO, it's the human race that's the most wild, barbaric and dangerous animal on this planet..it kills for the sake of it...dumb fuckers!!!
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 am

Egalabalus wrote:

Stop sneering. People were appalled by all the circumstances leading up to the slaughter of Cecil the Lion. If some people here want to express how they feel about it, then where's the harm? :dunno:

Each to their own, eh?
Vam

Postby luddite » Thu May 26, 2016 9:54 am

Vam wrote:
Egalabalus wrote:

Stop sneering. People were appalled by all the circumstances leading up to the slaughter of Cecil the Lion. If some people here want to express how they feel about it, then where's the harm? :dunno:

Each to their own, eh?

People treat dogs as if they're human, I've heard then refer to themselves as the dog's mummy and daddy. :pukeup:

Lions kill and eat other animals and, as far as I know, there are no maudlin threads about the poor little wildebeest. :flog:

So get real and stop anthropomorphising animals, sure they don't deserve to end up as a trophy for some rich twat but get real. :brickwall:
luddite

Postby Robocop » Thu May 26, 2016 10:15 am

luddite wrote:
Vam wrote:
Egalabalus wrote:

Each to their own, eh?

People treat dogs as if they're human, I've heard then refer to themselves as the dog's mummy and daddy. :pukeup:

Lions kill and eat other animals and, as far as I know, there are no maudlin threads about the poor little wildebeest. :flog:

So get real and stop anthropomorphising animals, sure they don't deserve to end up as a trophy for some rich twat but get real. :brickwall:

Aw come on Luddite, I don't think this is all that fair really and not sure it's totally accurate, well at least not on here. I do get what you mean re anthropomorphism, and yeah sometimes it is totally OTT, but I don't think it's all that relevant to the main points being made in this instance.

We're not knitting Cecil jumpers and mourning him like we would a close friend or relative- people are more expressing their disgust or annoyance that a magnificent and majestic beast was lured from his protected space so some cowardly cock-womble could shoot him just to try and prove his manliness. It's pathetic really.

A lion eating a wildebeest and people not being similarly appalled, is pretty irrelevant to this discussion though. It is hardly a like for like comparison. If however some idiot lured and killed Willy the Wildebeest, just for their own pleasure and to make them feel big and brave then they should have similar scorn poured on them too.
Robocop

Postby Holly » Thu May 26, 2016 10:38 am

Robocop wrote:
luddite wrote:
Vam wrote:
Egalabalus wrote:

Each to their own, eh?

Aw come on Luddite, I don't think this is all that fair really and not sure it's totally accurate, well at least not on here. I do get what you mean re anthropomorphism, and yeah sometimes it is totally OTT, but I don't think it's all that relevant to the main points being made in this instance.

We're not knitting Cecil jumpers and mourning him like we would a close friend or relative- people are more expressing their disgust or annoyance that a magnificent and majestic beast was lured from his protected space so some cowardly cock-womble could shoot him just to try and prove his manliness. It's pathetic really.

A lion eating a wildebeest and people not being similarly appalled, is pretty irrelevant to this discussion though. It is hardly a like for like comparison. If however some idiot lured and killed Willy the Wildebeest, just for their own pleasure and to make them feel big and brave then they should have similar scorn poured on them too.

Thank you Robocop, you said it better than I could...It really isn't so much about that ONE lion, it's about the fun people have killing such a majestic, graceful animal....No one's interested in hunting a wildebeest unless it's for food ( which no one objects to anyway ) it's the senseless killing for sport only, that pisses people off. I never saw anyone posing with a big grin on their face with a dead cow, pig, sheep or chicken ...why is that I wonder?
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Robocop » Thu May 26, 2016 10:52 am

Holly wrote:
Robocop wrote:Aw come on Luddite, I don't think this is all that fair really and not sure it's totally accurate, well at least not on here. I do get what you mean re anthropomorphism, and yeah sometimes it is totally OTT, but I don't think it's all that relevant to the main points being made in this instance.

Thank you Robocop, you said it better than I could...It really isn't so much about that ONE lion, it's about the fun people have killing such a majestic, graceful animal....No one's interested in hunting a wildebeest unless it's for food ( which no one objects to anyway ) it's the senseless killing for sport only, that pisses people off. I never saw anyone posing with a big grin on their face with a dead cow, pig, sheep or chicken ...why is that I wonder?

Hey no problem at all Holly and thanks! :smilin:

I genuinely do think hunting is pathetic, and for me, as with you and others, it's not the same at all as those who eat meat. Killing an animal for food is one thing, and for me it's totally different to those who take any kind of pleasure in killing an animal just to then take a picture of them grinning like an idiot next to it.

Ha, good point re no one posing with a dead chicken/ sheep etc. The irony is that clearly some of these people think shooting and posing next to a lion is big and brave, but the very fact that they use a gun means it's one of the most cowardly things they can do.
Robocop

Postby Maddog » Thu May 26, 2016 12:40 pm

People hunt Wildebeest's for the same reason they hunt lions.

As for chickens, no one poses with them, but they do with dove, quail, ducks and pheasant. I don't think anyone who hunts dove considers it an act of bravery either. No more than the guy who catches a big fish and takes a picture thinks he has slain Moby Dick.
Maddog

Postby Vam » Thu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm

luddite wrote:
Vam wrote:
Egalabalus wrote:

Each to their own, eh?

You're really scraping the barrel with your ridiculous comparisons, Ludds, and you're completely missing the point :ooer:

Animals kill to feed and survive. Hunters kill for the thrill.
Vam

Postby luddite » Thu May 26, 2016 1:10 pm

Robocop wrote:
luddite wrote:
Vam wrote:
Egalabalus wrote:

Each to their own, eh?

Hi Rob, wildebeest are hunted for trophies, but killing one doesn't make as big a headline as killing the king of beasts, the noble lion. :shoot:

If Cecil had been a wildebeest do you think that so much fuss would have been generated? :flog:

The whole hysteria around Cecil was media generated. :twirl:
luddite

Postby Holly » Thu May 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Vam wrote:
luddite wrote:
Vam wrote:
Egalabalus wrote:

Each to their own, eh?

You're really scraping the barrel with your ridiculous comparisons, Ludds, and you're completely missing the point :ooer:

Absolutely!!! I have seen programs on TV where lions and other predators live side by side with their usual kill, without any killing going on cos they aren't hungry. They don't kill for fun or sport, they only kill for food.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby luddite » Thu May 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Vam wrote:
luddite wrote:
Vam wrote:
Egalabalus wrote:

Each to their own, eh?

Is you who is missing the point Vam. Check my previous post. :Hiya:
luddite

Postby Maddog » Thu May 26, 2016 1:25 pm

Absolutely!!! I have seen programs on TV where lions and other predators live side by side with their usual kill, without any killing going on cos they aren't hungry. They don't kill for fun or sport, they only kill for food.

Wrong. Animals kill to mate, protecting territory and just for the hell of it. You can feed a domestic cat, throw it outside and 5 minutes later it's stalking a bird. It's not hungry nor will it even eat the bird if it catches it.
Maddog

Next

Return to The Archive