Cecil The Lion Part Two.

Big Threads

Re: Cecil The Lion.

Postby Keyser » Thu May 26, 2016 9:01 pm

Robocop wrote:
Maddog wrote:Lions were first fingered as being particularly tough on Africa’s cheetahs in 1994. A researcher documented the big cats attacking and killing up to 57% of cheetah cubs in Tanzania’s Serengeti National Park. (They rarely ate the cubs, although the cheetah mothers often consumed the remains of their offspring after the lions had left.)

Things seemed almost as bad for African wild dogs, long-legged canines that are not related to domestic dogs. They have colorful, patchy coats and hunt ungulates such as wildebeest and gazelle. In the park, researchers documented that as the lion’s population surged (it nearly tripled from less than 50 to nearly 200 between 1966 and 1998 because of increasing numbers of prey, particularly wildebeest), the wild dogs, which had once numbered about 50, declined. Eventually, in 1992, the animals vanished from Serengeti National Park altogether, although small numbers persisted in lion-free areas outside the park’s boundary. Biologists have estimated that lions kill up to 32% of the canines.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/04/ ... xist-lions

Come on now Madders, you're not trying to say the, erm, 'evil serial killer' animals you describe above somehow justify hunting in any way surely?

We know that animals kill other animals. Sometimes they don't do it for food but for a variety of other reasons be it eliminating the competition for prey or even maybe for what us humans might perceive in our minds as 'fun'.

None of that is relevant here IMO. Animals are not 'evil' of course, they do what they do because they're.. well.. animals. I've never really understood those who think a fox is 'evil' or 'bad' because it might enter a chicken coop and kill not just one bird for food but every chicken he sees. This is what they do, he's a damn fox, and when we subscribe human emotions to them on a like for like basis, we're treading down a rather rocky road.

The only exception I might make is where perhaps an alien species is introduced and it decimates a local ecosystem and threatens to cause permanent damage, but even if those animals were to be culled, I'd hope the people doing the killing saw it as a job as opposed to an opportunity to post a selfie of them with a great big shit eating grin on their face next to a pile of severed heads.

Another excellent post!

As I am a bit busy atm you have very eloquently said most of what I wanted to in this thread recently and saved me the bother.

Good for you. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Robocop » Thu May 26, 2016 9:17 pm

Keyser wrote:Another excellent post!

As I am a bit busy atm you have very eloquently said most of what I wanted to in this thread recently and saved me the bother.

Good for you. :thumbsup:

Well thank you very much! I actually thought as I typed it- 'Where's Keyser, he will know far better than I why some animals kill others when it's not for food'

From the Attenborough of internet forums, that is very kind of you to say. :oops: :thumbsup:
Robocop

Postby Robocop » Thu May 26, 2016 9:19 pm

I'm aiming for 'the Chris Packham of internet forums' by the way.

Sigh, one day.... :mrgreen:
Robocop

Postby Keyser » Thu May 26, 2016 9:30 pm

Robocop wrote:I'm aiming for 'the Chris Packham of internet forums' by the way.

You are one of the best posters on here so credit where credit is due. :cuppaT:
Keyser

Postby Bananaman » Fri May 27, 2016 6:31 am

Keyser wrote:

Get a room you two. :WW:
Bananaman

Postby Vicky » Fri May 27, 2016 8:44 am

luddite wrote:People treat dogs as if they're human, I've heard then refer to themselves as the dog's mummy and daddy. :pukeup:

Lions kill and eat other animals and, as far as I know, there are no maudlin threads about the poor little wildebeest. :flog:

So get real and stop anthropomorphising animals, sure they don't deserve to end up as a trophy for some rich twat but get real. :brickwall:

So what!!

I would rather people treated dogs and cats like little fur people, than read horrendous cases of animal abuse.

For the record!!

I don't call myself Jack's mum, but I do spoil him and buy him birthday cards and presents etc.

I'm not harming anyone.
Vicky

Postby Robocop » Fri May 27, 2016 9:00 am

Keyser wrote:

Robocop

Postby Vam » Fri May 27, 2016 9:04 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
luddite wrote:If Cecil had been a wildebeest do you think that so much fuss would have been generated? :flog:

The whole hysteria around Cecil was media generated. :twirl:

I'm not sure what point you think you are making here, TBH.

So, something bad happened in Africa, it was reported in the UK and that means it should be dismissed as "media generated"?

Of course it's fucking "media generated". :brickwall:
The "media" is how we hear about anything that happens more than a couple of miles away from us.
Can't the wars in Asia, earthquakes in Japan or shootings in the USA also be dismissed as "media generated" if that's how you judge these things?
Does that mean we shouldn't be concerned about them?

Perhaps you're just ignorant (again, in the literal sense rather than the perjorative) but the issue here wasn't that "a cute lion got shot".

The issue was that a rich yank paid a heap of money to a bunch of scumbags so they could lure a lion away from a game-reserve using big chunks of meat and then he shot it with a crossbow.

More broadly, the issue is also that Zimbabwe used to be a fucking superb country until Mugabe took over and now, as a result of that, it's been royally fucked and corruption is rife.

So, no.
it's not about a lion getting killed.
it's about all the fucked-up shit that happened in order to create the situation where a lion got killed for no good reason

I missed this last time I looked at this thread.

Another excellent post :thank you:
Vam

Postby Robocop » Fri May 27, 2016 9:07 am

Bananaman wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Robocop

Postby Bananaman » Fri May 27, 2016 9:35 am

Robocop wrote:
Bananaman wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Looks like Clint has heard about your man love too. :gigglesnshit:
Bananaman

Postby Robocop » Fri May 27, 2016 9:42 am

Bananaman wrote:
Robocop wrote:
Bananaman wrote:
Keyser wrote:

Looks like Clint has heard about your man love too. :gigglesnshit:

Not sure green's really your colour Bananaman. If this rather severe case of Bro Evny doesn't get treated soon, we're going to have to start calling you KiwiMan. :shake head:
Robocop

Re: Cecil The Lion Part Two.

Postby Vicky » Fri May 27, 2016 10:27 am

Vicky

Re: Cecil The Lion Part Two.

Postby Vicky » Fri May 27, 2016 10:32 am

The circle of life:

Cecil the Lions Grand cubs were photographed a few days ago, following their "Mum" through the same Zimbabwe bush their Granda was murdered at last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3608743/Following-pawprints-Cecil-lion-s-adorable-grandcubs-spotted-going-stroll-mother-Zimbabwe.html
Vicky

Postby luddite » Fri May 27, 2016 10:42 am

Victoria wrote:
luddite wrote:People treat dogs as if they're human, I've heard then refer to themselves as the dog's mummy and daddy. :pukeup:

Lions kill and eat other animals and, as far as I know, there are no maudlin threads about the poor little wildebeest. :flog:

So get real and stop anthropomorphising animals, sure they don't deserve to end up as a trophy for some rich twat but get real. :brickwall:

So what!!

I would rather people treated dogs and cats like little fur people, than read horrendous cases of animal abuse.

For the record!!

I don't call myself Jack's mum, but I do spoil him and buy him birthday cards and presents etc.

I'm not harming anyone.

I find that quite laudable Vic, I don't currently have a pet but in the past I have owned a collie and had a cat deign to live with me so I can see what a positive presence they have.

However this honoring the memory, gnashing of teeth and wailing over a wild animal who you never even met is laughable. :flog:
luddite

Postby Garrett1 » Fri May 27, 2016 10:54 am

luddite wrote:
Victoria wrote:

So what!!

For the record!!

I'm not harming anyone.

I find that quite laudable Vic,

You really need to stop digging Luddles, you're a mess of U turns, contradictions and back pedalling... :shake head:
Garrett1

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive