Random Stuff Part Sixteen.

Big Threads

Re: Random Stuff Part Sixteen.

Postby Si_Crewe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:50 am

Guest wrote:Well if we're going to be pedantic: there are no brackets in the picture though, you added them to try and justify your wrong answer. :wink:

There don't need to be brackets in the picture. I added the brackets to emphasise the order in which standard mathematical procedure dictates that kind of equation is solved.

PEDMAS: Parentheses, Exponents, Division & Multiplication, Addition & Subtraction
Last edited by Si_Crewe on Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Si_Crewe

Postby Si_Crewe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:57 am

Guest wrote:nope

it's the whole point of these puzzles: observation.
:thumbsup:

To be clear, I'm not trying to weasel my way out of admitting I didn't notice it was only a "single fries" in the final equation. :oops:

Again, it's kinda like saying W=10 and asking what V equals.
Just cos a V looks like half a W, you wouldn't assume V=5.

I get that you probably ARE supposed to assume a "single fries" is worth half of what a "double fries" is worth, but that's not technically valid.
Si_Crewe

Postby Nucks » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:10 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
Guest wrote:nope

To be clear, I'm not trying to weasel my way out of admitting I didn't notice it was only a "single fries" in the final equation. :oops:

Again, it's kinda like saying W=10 and asking what V equals.
Just cos a V looks like half a W, you wouldn't assume V=5.

I get that you probably ARE supposed to assume a "single fries" is worth half of what a "double fries" is worth, but that's not technically valid.

Ok, I'm going back to my original answer after all this.

Canucklehead wrote:
Spoiler: show
Years left to live if consumed daily? :doomed:
Nucks

Postby Si_Crewe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:28 am

Canucklehead wrote:Ok, I'm going back to my original answer after all this.

Canucklehead wrote:
Years left to live if consumed daily? :doomed:

Probably as wise a choice as any.

Seriously (sort of) though, if nothing else, stuff like this is a great example of why it's a good idea to have groups of people working on stuff rather than relying on any single person, however smart they are.
Si_Crewe

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:58 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
17 I think :mrgreen:

You blew it by not noticing the multiplication sign in the last equation. 5+2X10. :razz:

Now, of course, there'll be arguments about whether the answer is supposed to be 70 or 25.
Unless I'm mistaken, it should be 25.

20 years ago the answer was 60

Today the answer is 60

Postby Nucks » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:27 pm

Guest wrote:

Absolutely. I definitely didn't notice there's were 2 fries together and that one of the signs was x instead of +. My brain was looking for the easy answer. :mrgreen:
Nucks

Postby Si_Crewe » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Guest wrote:20 years ago the answer was 60

Today the answer is 60

I'm afraid you would have been mistaken 20 years ago and you're still mistaken today.

Do you have a spreadsheet on your PC?
If so, try typing =5+1*10 into any empty cell and see what happens.

If not, use Google Sheets, online, and try the same thing.

https://www.google.co.uk/sheets/about/
Si_Crewe

Postby rollup » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:12 pm

Attachments
wikitruth.jpg
rollup

Postby Nucks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 am

Si_Crewe wrote:
Guest wrote:20 years ago the answer was 60

Today the answer is 60

I'm afraid you would have been mistaken 20 years ago and you're still mistaken today.

Do you have a spreadsheet on your PC?
If so, try typing =5+1*10 into any empty cell and see what happens.

If not, use Google Sheets, online, and try the same thing.

https://www.google.co.uk/sheets/about/

I'd hazard a guess that the majority of average folk don't know (or remember) the order of operations from the maths that were taught in school. It's almost as if there are two correct answers, one for those who remember what they were taught, and one for those who apply basic logic and work from left to right. There isn't any obvious logic I can come up with why it makes sense to do mult/div before add/sub if there are no parentheses to indicate otherwise. We just do it because that's the rule. :dunno:
Nucks

Postby Si_Crewe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Canucklehead wrote:I'd hazard a guess that the majority of average folk don't know (or remember) the order of operations from the maths that were taught in school. It's almost as if there are two correct answers, one for those who remember what they were taught, and one for those who apply basic logic and work from left to right. There isn't any obvious logic I can come up with why it makes sense to do mult/div before add/sub if there are no parentheses to indicate otherwise. We just do it because that's the rule. :dunno:

That's true enough but the simple fact is that there ARE rules for this stuff and, as a simple equation like this shows, if there weren't rules for it, everything would go to shit because everybody would just do math's in whatever way they preferred.

Dunno if you're on DS but a couple of years ago somebody posted up an apparently simple equation and it ended-up in a 200 page thread which got rather heated.
As it turned out, the equation was a known mathematical "meme" which was deliberately written in an ambiguous way in order to provoke debate. :mrgreen:
Si_Crewe

Postby Nucks » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Si_Crewe wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:I'd hazard a guess that the majority of average folk don't know (or remember) the order of operations from the maths that were taught in school. It's almost as if there are two correct answers, one for those who remember what they were taught, and one for those who apply basic logic and work from left to right. There isn't any obvious logic I can come up with why it makes sense to do mult/div before add/sub if there are no parentheses to indicate otherwise. We just do it because that's the rule. :dunno:

That's true enough but the simple fact is that there ARE rules for this stuff and, as a simple equation like this shows, if there weren't rules for it, everything would go to shit because everybody would just do math's in whatever way they preferred.

Dunno if you're on DS but a couple of years ago somebody posted up an apparently simple equation and it ended-up in a 200 page thread which got rather heated.
As it turned out, the equation was a known mathematical "meme" which was deliberately written in an ambiguous way in order to provoke debate. :mrgreen:

I suspect people who come up with these puzzles are relying on what we're discussing. :mrgreen: That some will remember those bits from school and for others it's not important in their everyday life. I mean, the rules of physics determine many important things in our daily lives, but for the life of me I can't recall very many formulas. :gigglesnshit:
Nucks

Postby different guest » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:13 pm

If it was meant to be a puzzle about maths it would surely be more complex than 30 Divided by 3. :roll:
It's obviously about observation,QED by the lack of observation displayed in the answers given.
different guest

Postby Text » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:14 pm

OMG what's the deal with Donald's new White House Press secretary Sean Spicer (cute initials btw). Spicer has certainly taken over where his master left off. Aggressive, confrontational, boastful, with a menacing undertone. Wtf?

He spent the most of the time explaining how Trump's inauguration crowd was bigger than Obama's, going into a great deal of technical detail, to provide proof. It's like watching a primary school kid boasting. :kinell: Who cares? :pmsl:  

As an afterthought he mentioned trivial stuff - you know - about Donald meeting world leaders- apparently he'd spoken 'constructively' to the Canadian and Mexican prime ministers and he will receive Theresa May on Friday. Then he stormed off without fielding questions.

I expect more professionalism at this level. So flustered and joyless, and he kept tripping over his words. Read your frikking script properly, Spicer - it's what you're paid for. :slap:
Text

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Canary wrote:OMG what's the deal with Donald's new White House Press secretary Sean Spicer (cute initials btw). Spicer has certainly taken over where his master left off. Aggressive, confrontational, boastful, with a menacing undertone. Wtf?

He spent the most of the time explaining how Trump's inauguration crowd was bigger than Obama's, going into a great deal of technical detail, to provide proof. It's like watching a primary school kid boasting. :kinell: Who cares? :pmsl:  

As an afterthought he mentioned trivial stuff - you know - about Donald meeting world leaders- apparently he'd spoken 'constructively' to the Canadian and Mexican prime ministers and he will receive Theresa May on Friday. Then he stormed off without fielding questions.

I expect more professionalism at this level. So flustered and joyless, and he kept tripping over his words. Read your frikking script properly, Spicer - it's what you're paid for. :slap:

Wasn't he saying the National Guard lied about the numbers attending the inauguration and the march the following day? As well as saying all the media doctored the photos to show the stand empty?
I guess this is the kind of expected "Post-Truth" Press Statement we can expect from now on.
The Washington Post has been doing Fact Checking on statements and speeches which shows most of what is said by him and his team is garbage/

Postby Text » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Guest wrote:
Canary wrote:OMG what's the deal with Donald's new White House Press secretary Sean Spicer (cute initials btw). Spicer has certainly taken over where his master left off. Aggressive, confrontational, boastful, with a menacing undertone. Wtf?

Wasn't he saying the National Guard lied about the numbers attending the inauguration and the march the following day? As well as saying all the media doctored the photos to show the stand empty?
I guess this is the kind of expected "Post-Truth" Press Statement we can expect from now on.
The Washington Post has been doing Fact Checking on statements and speeches which shows most of what is said by him and his team is garbage/

It was all so petty & he droned on and on. Nevermind important stuff about tax cuts and jobs and medicare, Put your willy away, spicer, no one cares. :pointlaugh:
Text

PreviousNext

Return to The Archive