Your favorite sporting moments!

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Your favorite sporting moments!

Postby 4ever2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:46 pm

While I have so many different sports & events that I can recall as that 'ONE' moment in time that was just pure magic and so moving ...there are those events that just make me cringe and wonder how far the depravity a human will stoop to beat their opponent in cheating/stealing a win instead of doing it the honorable way!
And there's no other sorted story line that epitomizes that then the Lance Armstrong - Tour De France Cyclist saga >
From his first Tour De France Win > > >

To his repeat performances that began to have a suspicion of somethings just not quite right here
And then when the 'rumors of his doping persisted' and then the medical information was floated out to the media that he had cancer and was establishing this marvelous foundation 'Live Strong' > > >
Well, I was torn about assuming the worst but still there was that faint niggling suspicion that there just wasn't something kosher about his methods/training/ability to win '7' - '7 TOUR DE FRANCE' in such a span of time and for his age.
Lance-Armstrong-Drug-Use--86649.jpg

And then after all those denials - all those continued defaming all those team mates - the journalists that he attacked for asking him point blank - lies to his family - his cancer foundation - all of those speaking engagements about 'sportsmanship/being a TEAM PLAYER/WINNING' blah - blah - blah :pukeup:

LIAR - BLACK MARK ON AMERICA - your family name - your children's name - gave a new definition to UGLY AMERICAN and place your photo right beside it in the Wikipedia page! :grrrrr:
Attachments
268205-lance-armstrong-admissions2.jpg
4ever2

Postby jp761 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:55 pm

4ever2 wrote:While I have so many different sports & events that I can recall as that 'ONE' moment in time that was just pure magic and so moving ...there are those events that just make me cringe and wonder how far the depravity a human will stoop to beat their opponent in cheating/stealing a win instead of doing it the honorable way!
And there's no other sorted story line that epitomizes that then the Lance Armstrong - Tour De France Cyclist saga >

To his repeat performances that began to have a suspicion of somethings just not quite right here
And then when the 'rumors of his doping persisted' and then the medical information was floated out to the media that he had cancer and was establishing this marvelous foundation 'Live Strong' > > >
Well, I was torn about assuming the worst but still there was that faint niggling suspicion that there just wasn't something kosher about his methods/training/ability to win '7' - '7 TOUR DE FRANCE' in such a span of time and for his age.

And then after all those denials - all those continued defaming all those team mates - the journalists that he attacked for asking him point blank - lies to his family - his cancer foundation - all of those speaking engagements about 'sportsmanship/being a TEAM PLAYER/WINNING' blah - blah - blah :pukeup:

LIAR - BLACK MARK ON AMERICA - your family name - your children's name - gave a new definition to UGLY AMERICAN and place your photo right beside it in the Wikipedia page! :grrrrr:
Biggest cheat in history. Miguel Indurain is in his rightful place now as the greatest Tour de France cyclist.
jp761

Postby jp761 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:55 pm

4ever2 wrote:While I have so many different sports & events that I can recall as that 'ONE' moment in time that was just pure magic and so moving ...there are those events that just make me cringe and wonder how far the depravity a human will stoop to beat their opponent in cheating/stealing a win instead of doing it the honorable way!

Biggest cheat in history. Miguel Indurain is in his rightful place now as the greatest Tour de France cyclist.
jp761

Postby 4ever2 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:31 pm

by jp761 Biggest cheat in history. Miguel Indurain is in his rightful place now as the greatest Tour de France cyclist.

Oh, I whole heartedly concur with that, the guy is a phenome in the cycling world.
4ever2

Postby Keyser » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:12 pm

The Hitman at his peak at his best weights - no one knocks out these greats - but he did.

Keyser

Postby jp761 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Keyser wrote:The Hitman at his peak at his best weights - no one knocks out these greats - but he did.

Great choice. Boxing is another sport that's pretty shitty these days.

Eubank, Benn and Collins another great time in boxing I loved that era.
jp761

Postby 4ever2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:45 pm

jp761 wrote:
Keyser wrote:The Hitman at his peak at his best weights - no one knocks out these greats - but he did.

Growing up listening to boxing on the radio {forbidden from our limited access black & white TV viewing time by mother} and the play by play for Cassius Clay's/Muhammad Ali's fights ...well, loads of fond memories spent with my older brothers & father. And a great appreciation for sports commentators like Howard Cosell and his antagonistic banter with Muhammad Ali. Good Times
Muhammad Ali Biography
Athlete, Boxer, Philanthropist (1942–2016)
Synopsis
Born Cassius Clay in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1942, Muhammad Ali became an Olympic gold medalist in 1960 and the world heavyweight boxing champion in 1964. Following his suspension for refusing military service, Ali reclaimed the heavyweight title two more times during the 1970s, winning famed bouts against Joe Frazier and George Foreman along the way. Diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1984, Ali devoted much of his time to philanthropy, earning the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005. He died on June 3, 2016, in Phoenix, Arizona.
http://www.biography.com/people/muhammad-ali-9181165

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Iowcj5wzxt0 [/youtube]
4ever2

Postby jp761 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:06 pm

4ever2 wrote:
jp761 wrote:

Growing up listening to boxing on the radio {forbidden from our limited access black & white TV viewing time by mother} and the play by play for Cassius Clay's/Muhammad Ali's fights ...well, loads of fond memories spent with my older brothers & father. And a great appreciation for sports commentators like Howard Cosell and his antagonistic banter with Muhammad Ali. Good Times
Muhammad Ali Biography
Athlete, Boxer, Philanthropist (1942–2016)
Synopsis
Born Cassius Clay in Louisville, Kentucky, in 1942, Muhammad Ali became an Olympic gold medalist in 1960 and the world heavyweight boxing champion in 1964. Following his suspension for refusing military service, Ali reclaimed the heavyweight title two more times during the 1970s, winning famed bouts against Joe Frazier and George Foreman along the way. Diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1984, Ali devoted much of his time to philanthropy, earning the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005. He died on June 3, 2016, in Phoenix, Arizona.
http://www.biography.com/people/muhammad-ali-9181165

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Iowcj5wzxt0 [/youtube]
You're older than me mate but sounds like it was a great time to be alive! Watching old footage is all well and good but there is no substitution for actually being around when it's happening.

A commentator called Mike Costello he's a great radio commentator now it's tough to do especially if a fight is boring of course!
jp761

Postby 4ever2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:22 pm

You're older than me mate but sounds like it was a great time to be alive! Watching old footage is all well and good but there is no substitution for actually being around when it's happening.
A commentator called Mike Costello he's a great radio commentator now it's tough to do especially if a fight is boring of course!

Well, shortly after all that ugly humiliation racial crap that the 'White Race' handed out to Cassius Clay and then his brave outspoken refusal to join up/go to the draft board/switched his faith to Muslim/became Muhammad Ali ...I quit watching/listening/following boxing for the most part and only sparingly during the Olympic Games.
Just lost the enjoyment for the sport - thuggery of the ring battle.
No one - but NO ONE, made trash talking their opponents a mind game like Cassius Clay :slap:
OMG, that young man could spiel off a rhyme {talking smack/rap is what it's called now} about his up coming fight - his opponent - the referee - the fight, :pmsl:
4ever2

Postby jp761 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Victoria wrote:

Right now currently look at Scotland go :laughing: I'm a tad surprised. :laughing:
jp761

Postby jp761 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:56 pm

Superb moment Ronnie's 5min 20 147 break I doubt it will ever be bettered.
jp761

Postby Staliaoftheknife » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Lewis Hamilton taking the championship in a McLaren on the last corner of the last lap in Brazil 2008.
Staliaoftheknife

Postby jp761 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:04 am

Staliaoftheknife wrote:Lewis Hamilton taking the championship in a McLaren on the last corner of the last lap in Brazil 2008.
It was a great moment yes.

jp761

Postby McAz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:19 am

New favourite - Southern Area, last night.

McAz

Postby jp761 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:13 pm

This was fantastic to watch and the record still stands it will take some beating.
jp761

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug