Nature

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Cecil The Lion Part Three.

Postby Keyser » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:21 pm

The Rainbow Stag beetle (Phalacrognathus muelleri). :wubbers:

Image
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:29 pm

Immature female Colossal squid (Mesonychoteuthis hamiltoni).

Caught by Soviet trawler 'Eureka' and photographed by Alexander Remeslo in 1981. :cool:

Image
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm


Re: Nature

Postby charlie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:28 pm


Fascinating as always, Keyser. :smilin:

The Ghost Shark has evolved into a species whereby they know that mating is rare, so therefore any contact they do have they 'store' the sperm until they're ready to mate. Evolution is wonderful and something that only non humans seem to have?

Puntang, how sad she died - but at least it wasn't at the hands of poachers. Unbelievable how there are only 100 Sumatran Rhinos left in the world.

Man is so evil!
User avatar
charlie
 
Posts: 338
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:14 am

triggerhappy wrote:

Fascinating as always, Keyser. :smilin:

The Ghost Shark has evolved into a species whereby they know that mating is rare, so therefore any contact they do have they 'store' the sperm until they're ready to mate. Evolution is wonderful and something that only non humans seem to have?

Puntang, how sad she died - but at least it wasn't at the hands of poachers. Unbelievable how there are only 100 Sumatran Rhinos left in the world.

Man is so evil!


Thanks TH - yes Homo sapiens is truly a scourge on the planet. :shake head:
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Jumping spiders, those colourful little dancers (and cognitive geniuses) can actually see the Moon. :cool:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... astronomy/
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:15 pm

User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Few people realise what a monster the endangered Black caiman (Melanosuchus niger) really is.

This enormous animal turned up on a GreenTracks herp trip in the Peruvian Amazon. The body was found floating in a river. With some of the tail missing it still measured 5.3 meters (17.38 feet).

Here is the skull (it measured 31 inches in length).

I like the idea that somewhere out in the Amazon, massive fully mature Black Caiman still prowl the waterways and haven't all been exterminated. :smilin:

Image

Image
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:51 pm

The mysterious Olm - a little cave dragon. :cool:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science/c ... 180963797/

Image
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Vicks » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Image
I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas!!

:sleigh:
User avatar
Vicks
Site Admin
 
Posts: 64812
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Ibrox Stadium, Edmiston Drive, Glasgow.

Re: Nature

Postby Holly » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:36 am

Keyser wrote:The mysterious Olm - a little cave dragon. :cool:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science/c ... 180963797/

Image



Just wondering, what gets you so excited about those ugly creatures? I'm sure it's interesting to know and learn about them, but you seem to be in love with them like others are with little puppies and kittens :paranoid:
User avatar
Holly
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 3:25 pm
Location: Middle-earth

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Holly wrote:
Keyser wrote:The mysterious Olm - a little cave dragon. :cool:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science/c ... 180963797/

Image



Just wondering, what gets you so excited about those ugly creatures? I'm sure it's interesting to know and learn about them, but you seem to be in love with them like others are with little puppies and kittens :paranoid:


Just quickly popping on here to reply to you Hol. :smilin:

I think that every species is truly beautiful in it's own way - especially to those of their of own kind.

I find them all to be fascinating, unique and lovely to look at - part of the incredible tapestry of life on this beautiful planet - itself merely a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam and lost in the awesome vastness of the Cosmos. :cuppaT:
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:21 pm

Sharks A-Z from National Geographic. :cuppaT:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/photo ... -alphabet/

Image
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Random Stuff Part Seventeen.

Postby Keyser » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 pm

Yes these belong on the nature thread but they are a bizarre and random after all!

The demon ducks of doom! :ooer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40445379

This photo is crazier than a shithouse rat - and perfectly authentic. :cool:

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/wtf/wtf/ ... s-is-real/

Image
User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Re: Nature

Postby Keyser » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:38 pm

I wonder if the thread should be combined with the science one mods?

Just a thought. :smilin:

The animals that are almost invisible and the largest creature on the planet lunge feeding.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170622 ... -invisible

https://www.earthtouchnews.com/oceans/w ... bay-video/

User avatar
Keyser
 
Posts: 8198
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:25 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests