No London Fire Thread?

No London Fire Thread?

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:39 pm

My condolences to those who have suffered due to this horrific fire. My full support to the emergency services and the community spirit and who will sort this awful mess out.
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: No London Fire Thread?

Postby chinchin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Terrible business Stooo.
chinchin

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:54 pm

chinchin wrote:Terrible business Stooo.

The locals are pulling together but I think that there will be a large loss of life let alone people who thankfully are being put up who have lost everything, sometimes family as well.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby chinchin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:58 pm

Speculation of over fifty dead. No-one surviving on the top three floors. So sad.
chinchin

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:01 pm

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby chinchin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:12 pm

It may have been the new cladding that helped turned the fire into the inferno it became.
Last edited by chinchin on Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chinchin

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:13 pm

Fridge caught fire. Set window frame alight and fell down. Set fire to the new flammable cladding. The fire spread quicker than the fire fighters. Lots of dead. Today's exercise is just getting the bodies out.

Google it, I'm not linking.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:14 pm

chinchin wrote:If the developers were going to get it burned down, why wait for the refurbishment first?

I doubt they wanted to burn it down.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Vam » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:10 pm

I'd been out all day and, unusually, I didn't have the News on in the background before leaving home this morning. So I had no real idea what had happened until I got home.

I've been watching the coverage since....utterly horrendous :shake head: The terror and helplessness those poor trapped people must have suffered is just unimaginable.
Vam

Postby chinchin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Stooo wrote:
chinchin wrote:If the developers were going to get it burned down, why wait for the refurbishment first?

I doubt they wanted to burn it down.

Sorry, don't know why I posted that. I was thinking about something else. I obviously didn't delete it in time!
chinchin

Postby chinchin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Stooo wrote:
Fridge caught fire. Set window frame alight and fell down. Set fire to the new flammable cladding. The fire spread quicker than the fire fighters. Lots of dead. Today's exercise is just getting the bodies out.

Thank you.
chinchin

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:24 pm

chinchin wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Thank you.

The cladding was foaming as it burnt according to accounts. What a pile of shit.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby McAz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:29 pm

Stooo wrote:
chinchin wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Thank you.

The cladding was foaming as it burnt according to accounts. What a pile of shit.

And yet...

Rydon, the company behind the refurbishment work, said the cladding and other changes had been made to help with "improving thermal insulation and modernising the exterior of the building".

However...

A statement from Rydon after the work was finished noted that "rain screen cladding, replacement windows and curtain wall façades have been fitted giving the building a fresher, modern look".

That statement included a quote from Nick Paget-Brown, the leader of the council, who remarked on how happy he was to see "first-hand how the cladding has lifted the external appearance of the tower".

That public statement after the completion made no reference to insulation, only discussing the change in the external appearance of the building.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-cladding-fire-cause-improve-kensington-block-flats-appearance-blaze-24-storey-west-a7789951.html
McAz

Postby chinchin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:31 pm

No doubt we will hear the usual 'Lessons must be learned etc, etc' trotted out.
chinchin

Postby Stooo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 pm

McAz wrote:
Stooo wrote:
chinchin wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Thank you.

And yet...

Rydon, the company behind the refurbishment work, said the cladding and other changes had been made to help with "improving thermal insulation and modernising the exterior of the building".

However...

A statement from Rydon after the work was finished noted that "rain screen cladding, replacement windows and curtain wall façades have been fitted giving the building a fresher, modern look".

That statement included a quote from Nick Paget-Brown, the leader of the council, who remarked on how happy he was to see "first-hand how the cladding has lifted the external appearance of the tower".

That public statement after the completion made no reference to insulation, only discussing the change in the external appearance of the building.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grenfell-tower-cladding-fire-cause-improve-kensington-block-flats-appearance-blaze-24-storey-west-a7789951.html

*Looks out of my backdoor*

Ah...
Stooo
Site Admin

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs