Big Threads

Re: The Hillsborough Disaster.

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed May 11, 2016 6:53 am

Frank39 wrote:
Maddog wrote:
ambient wrote:
Guest wrote:
They were just numbered segments of the ground for organisational purposes

and fenced in with wire mesh to keep rival tribes from kicking each other to death

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the afternoon with your wife and children. :smilin:

Unfortunately Maddog, that was de rigeur at soccer matches all over Europe in the 70s and 80s, it still is in places like Turkey and Ukraine, and to a lesser extent in Poland and of all places Italy.
You may be wistfully thinking of pleasant afternoons/evenings at Globe Life Park, watching Texas Rangers playing Arizona Diamondbacks, with beer, hot dogs, cotton candy, and corn dogs.
That wouldn't have worked in Britain, different mindset, a lot of "fans" hoped that their team won, but as long as they got a chance to smash someone's face in, the day wasn't wasted.

The bad apples wrecked it for everyone else. The football fans, it seems now, were dehumanised by the behaviour of the hooligan element.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Maddog » Wed May 11, 2016 5:15 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Frank39 wrote:
Maddog wrote:
ambient wrote:
Guest wrote:
They were just numbered segments of the ground for organisational purposes

and fenced in with wire mesh to keep rival tribes from kicking each other to death

Sounds like a lovely way to spend the afternoon with your wife and children. :smilin:

Unfortunately Maddog, that was de rigeur at soccer matches all over Europe in the 70s and 80s, it still is in places like Turkey and Ukraine, and to a lesser extent in Poland and of all places Italy.
You may be wistfully thinking of pleasant afternoons/evenings at Globe Life Park, watching Texas Rangers playing Arizona Diamondbacks, with beer, hot dogs, cotton candy, and corn dogs.
That wouldn't have worked in Britain, different mindset, a lot of "fans" hoped that their team won, but as long as they got a chance to smash someone's face in, the day wasn't wasted.

The bad apples wrecked it for everyone else. The football fans, it seems now, were dehumanised by the behaviour of the hooligan element.

Which was my point all along. The police are in charge of keeping dumbasses from hurting and killing each other, and in this case they failed miserably. But the dumbasses should also accept some responsibility for being dumbasses.
Maddog

Postby Vicky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:05 am

Former Police Supt David Dukenfield has been charged with 95 counts of manslaughter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-40419819
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:07 am

aeaaf7df65d0b5aa5284c580fd3f05c6.jpg
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:09 am

This is one of the most moving things i have ever seen.

Vicky

Postby Vam » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Vicky wrote:This is one of the most moving things i have ever seen.

...me, too.

Kevin's last word on this earth, "Mum...", was probably instrumental in overcoming seemingly insurmountable obstacles. RIP, Kev. And RIP, your awesome "Mum..."

Thanks for posting that, Vic.
Vam

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Maddog wrote:
Which was my point all along. The police are in charge of keeping dumbasses from hurting and killing each other, and in this case they failed miserably. But the dumbasses should also accept some responsibility for being dumbasses.

Absolutely spot on!

How the fuck people can say the fans hold no blame for this disaster is beyond a joke.
What other sports have to separately cage the fans to keep them from attacking each other?

Postby Vicky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Vam wrote:
Vicky wrote:This is one of the most moving things i have ever seen.

...me, too.

Kevin's last word on this earth, "Mum...", was probably instrumental in overcoming seemingly insurmountable obstacles. RIP, Kev. And RIP, your awesome "Mum..."

Thanks for posting that, Vic.

I can remember it at the time it was on Vam and i've never forgotten it.

It was terrible what happened, i can remember watching it on the television and the number of people who had died, just kept rising.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:33 pm

I know Kenny Dal gets a lot of comments about him being "Dour" but the man went to all the funerals and that says a lot about him.

Not forgetting he was also present at the Heysel Disaster and he was at Ibrox the day, 66 Rangers fans died.
Vicky

Previous

Return to The Archive