Jacob Rees-Mogg

Jacob Rees-Mogg

Postby Stooo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Mike Galsworthy‏ @mikegalsworthy

If Rees-Mogg becomes PM we'll be in same boat as the US, whereby a declining power fronts itself with a comic stereotype of its nation.

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/stat ... 3369991169

I find him to be chillingly sinister, he presents as a snob but I've always found it to be somewhat forced. This upper middle class Somerset boy has a pretty nasty voting record while attempting to charm with his camp affectations; something that seems to be popular amongst his fanbase. Will he become PM? Possibly. The last couple of years have reinforced my views that popularity means so much more than actual content so we shall see.

But does the Tory party deserve a fop leading the party, spouting Latin while destroying social care and the welfare state? Well yeah.

The Left have Corbyn, the Michael Foot of the 21st Century so it seems apt that the Tories get this worm of a man to force them further to the right and release centrists back to the LD's rather than poaching voters on often reneged Liberal manifesto inspired promises.

I'm getting to the point where I'm gaining scar tissue on my face due to the amount of facepalming that I'm doing due to national and global politics. :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: Jacob Rees-Mogg

Postby Stooo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:42 pm

So, are you #ReadyforMogg ? The honourable member for the early 20th century is starting to break cover and express his interest in becoming the leader of the Conservatives.

His excitable fans hyperventilate about his authenticity, his wit, his cleverness and how unapologetic he is about his background, as if this is somehow all that’s required to make him fit for the highest office in the land.

Frankly, I think he’s a bit of a fraud. The three-piece suits, the elaborate vocabulary, the exaggerated courtesy - it’s like a third-rate novelist’s idea of the quintessential English gentleman. And very much his own construct. If he’s unashamed of being posh, it’s because he’s not actually as posh as he likes people to believe. Like me, he’s the offspring of a successful middle class professional. In his case, his journalist father had a successful enough career to merit a life peerage, enabling Rees-Mogg to attach an Honourable to the beginning of his name. He married the step-daughter of the Marquess of Bristol, enough for him to claim a spot in Burke’s Peerage, but he’s certainly not an aristocrat.

Mrs Rees-Mogg had the added attraction of a very large personal fortune, which helpfully paid for the family home in the Somerset countryside. Although the Rees-Moggs have a past association with mining in the area, they are not an ancient and noble county family with an ancestral pile - not that Jacob would correct you if that was the impression that you’d formed.

His glittering investment career is often hailed as evidence of his brilliant mind. Apparently contemporaries who worked with him in Hong Kong don’t recall it quite that way - he spent more time sucking up to Chris Patten in the Governor’s Mansion than analysing stocks. But there’s no doubt that the partnership he co-founded in 2007 - Somerset Capital Management - has been extremely successful and brings in a tidy income in addition to his MP’s salary. It’s interesting that the capital became available to set up the partnership in the same year that he married his wife. And, since 2010, when he became an MP, he surely can’t have been working full time for the partnership. I can testify that, in the final quarter of the year to March 2017, JR-M was a diligent attendee in the House of Commons, meaning that his contribution to the profit increase of 42% reported for that year must have been tangential at best.

Catholicism in Britain tends to be heavily centred on the lower rungs of the social scale, being the religion of immigrants - the Irish, and more recently, Poles. But there are a few historically posh Catholic families, who have managed to hang on to their wealth and estates through centuries of religious upheaval. I had assumed, unthinkingly, that Rees-Mogg was from one of those families. But actually, his Catholicism appears to be inherited from his Irish-American actress grandmother. The reverence for the Tridentine Mass and the flamboyantly Latinate names of his children are not part of his family tradition, then, but just his own personal taste.

But, to be honest, I don’t actually care if he wants to dress up in silly clothes and flounce around pretending to be Lord of the Manor. I don’t care that he’s never changed a nappy. Where and how he came into his wealth is no concern of mine. His affectations and pretensions are his own business.

But I do care that his politics appear to be an extension of this construct. I do care that his speech in the Article 50 debate (which I remember well because it immediately followed mine) argued that Brexit would be a success because it was the next stage in a sugary, unrealistic triumphalist version of British history that frames his own particular world view. I do care that this undeliverable fantasy has captured the British nation and threatens to doom us all. I do care that people seem to take Jacob Rees Mogg seriously. He is playing a part, striking a pose, and only adopts political positions for effect.

Thinking of posh Catholic families, I flicked through my old copy of ‘Brideshead Revisited’ today (it has Jeremy Irons on the cover and it occurs to me that the television series would have been broadcast just as JR-M was starting at Eton). It tickles me to think of Rees-Mogg as a more resolute, unthwarted version of Charles Ryder - a socially insecure middle-class Londoner bewitched by a country house and a Catholic aristocratic family.

Incidentally, the subtitle for the second chapter is “A warning against charm”. Wise words……..

Sarah Olney, FB
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Will yet again millions of working class people be suckered in to vote for a man like him?
I think yes because for some reason there is still this delusion that posh people must know best.
It's a hangover from the days of Oxford English spoken on the BBC and Oxford English attached to the heroic officer class in the war films of past.
The British working class really should stick to beer and football as I'm afraid few of them have the slightest clue about politics.
How many working class people do you know who actually spend time reading studying researching political stuff?
I think the internet has helped up the numbers a little but many of them still believe that posh boys must be good with economics despite what reality shows.
Remember Micky voted Tory and he didn't know his arse from his elbow.
There are millions just like him.
So yes Jacob Rees Mogg may well seem like a breath of fresh air and after all they got they've gotten their country back now.
Hi Micky .... did you start that job yet?
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Keyser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:14 pm

Jesus wept - it would be typical if we got this transparent narcissist as the leader of the Cons - his foppish affectations of living in the 19th century don't bother (or fool) me either.

But his voting record does.
Keyser

Postby Keyser » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:51 pm

What on earth could go wrong? :dunno:

Keyser

Postby Rightio » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:45 am

The lefties have found yet another thing to moan about, poor darlings

I swear if it rained diamonds you lot would still find something to whine about FFS.

Go The Moggy I say! :more beer:
Rightio

Postby wutang » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Rightio wrote:I swear if it rained diamonds you lot would still find something to whine about FFS.

Diamond rain would be a bad thing.

a) the value of diamonds is based on limited supply (man made), billions suddenly falling from the sky would make them worth fuck all

b) they would cause loads of damage (say goodbye to the paint on your car) as well as harm to those caught out in it
wutang

Postby Cannydc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Rightio wrote:The lefties have found yet another thing to moan about, poor darlings

I swear if it rained diamonds you lot would still find something to whine about FFS.

Reminds me of the idiot who was on here every day screaming GO NIGE.... He has gone, and so has 'Nige'.
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:05 pm

Rightio wrote:The lefties have found yet another thing to moan about, poor darlings

Sorry if I offended you by talking about politicians on a politics board, you poor sods take offence at absolutely anything. :gigglesnshit:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lambert » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:41 pm

I like Mogg's eloquence and unflappable personality. Wouldn't want him as PM though.
Lambert

Postby chinchin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:01 pm

He is another old Etonian upper class twit who has no comprehension whatsoever about how hard life is for the poor and disenfranchised. Probably worse than Boris.
chinchin

Postby Cannydc » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:59 pm

chinchin wrote:He is another old Etonian upper class twit who has no comprehension whatsoever about how hard life is for the poor and disenfranchised. Probably worse than Boris.

Reminds me of this chinless wonder - seems the Tory public school sausage machine can't help turning them out. Though why the UK public swallows their guff is a mystery.

Cannydc

Postby chinchin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:55 pm

Cannydc wrote:
chinchin wrote:He is another old Etonian upper class twit who has no comprehension whatsoever about how hard life is for the poor and disenfranchised. Probably worse than Boris.

Reminds me of this chinless wonder - seems the Tory public school sausage machine can't help turning them out. Though why the UK public swallows their guff is a mystery.

One of the mysteries of life Cannydc.
chinchin

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:53 pm

Lol lefties throwing insults as per. Jealousy and envy are sadly the more likeable traits of the anti semitic left we are burdened with atm.

Postby Cannydc » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:20 pm

Guest wrote:Lol lefties throwing insults as per. Jealousy and envy are sadly the more likeable traits of the anti semitic left we are burdened with atm.

Great trolling, this.

Did you do a course ?
Cannydc

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs