Solar Panels

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Solar Panels

Postby Major » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:49 pm

I would like to hear from people who have 'actual personal experience' of installing/having solar panels contributing to their own electricity running costs in their homes or businesses.

I thank you in advance.
Major
Twat.

Re: Solar Panels

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:20 pm

I might be wrong but I think the government may have interfered recently making it less attractive but .... I know a guy who said yes to a salesman so the salesman fitted his roof out with panels.
This will be five six years ago.
There's a little shed also had to be built where the electricity meters are.
If I remember rightly the company who own the panels get a check off the power company for between three and six hundred pounds a quarter and the guy I know pays around five quid a month for his electricity now on a three bed house.
It was a very brief discussion I had about a year ago so my figures might be wrong.
Main thing is he's very happy he said yes.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Major » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:02 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:I might be wrong but I think the government may have interfered recently making it less attractive but .... I know a guy who said yes to a salesman so the salesman fitted his roof out with panels.
If I remember rightly the company who own the panels get a check off the power company for between three and six hundred pounds a quarter and the guy I know pays around five quid a month for his electricity now on a three bed house.
It was a very brief discussion I had about a year ago so my figures might be wrong.

Thanks for that.

Maybe a foruma has had theirs done.
Major
Twat.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:04 pm

It depends on what contract is taken out, The householder can be stuck with the panels for up to 20/25 years, which means if they want to sell the property in the future it can depreciate the value of the property as not everyone wants them or is prepared to take over an existing contract.
Another problem is that if the property needs re-roofing in the future the householder has to pay for the removal and re-in-statement of the panels and the lost revenue to the Electricity Company
Its best to Google the "fors" and the "against`s" before making a decision.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:30 pm

Major Starbold wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:I might be wrong but I think the government may have interfered recently making it less attractive but .... I know a guy who said yes to a salesman so the salesman fitted his roof out with panels.

Thanks for that.

Maybe a foruma has had theirs done.

you're better off having them fitted on an east facing roof, that way you get the early morning sun before all the south facing panels take up the afternoon sun. all those south facing ones sucking the energy out of the sun at the same time means there's less to go round. you beat the rush.

Postby Trapper John » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:06 pm

I can tell you what I know about solar panels fitted to council properties by councils who sort to profit from this scheme - none of the panels are connected, they provide no hot water or electricity and certainly no benefit to the tenant of the property - in effect they are there for purely cosmetic reasons - they do not work.

I know this because a few years back I was working on one of these houses for a tenant using his own money to upgrade his property. The council's clerk of works visited and I had to ask him about all the contraptions, pipes and electricity cables strewn through the loft and property and he said I needn't worry too much, just keep them tied up tidy.

None of the systems are connected he said, and doubted they ever would be, he said that 800 or so of their properties had taken the roof panels and none of the systems work because they aren't connected, he said he doubted they were ever intended to be in the first place.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Stooo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:24 pm

Trapper John wrote:I can tell you what I know about solar panels fitted to council properties by councils who sort to profit from this scheme - none of the panels are connected, they provide no hot water or electricity and certainly no benefit to the tenant of the property - in effect they are there for purely cosmetic reasons - they do not work.

I know this because a few years back I was working on one of these houses for a tenant using his own money to upgrade his property. The council's clerk of works visited and I had to ask him about all the contraptions, pipes and electricity cables strewn through the loft and property and he said I needn't worry too much, just keep them tied up tidy.

None of the systems are connected he said, and doubted they ever would be, he said that 800 or so of their properties had taken the roof panels and none of the systems work because they aren't connected, he said he doubted they were ever intended to be in the first place.

A few of my mates went over to solar panels after the digital TV stuff went to shit. It works and is connected to the National Grid who pay you for your contribution. A few companies rely on a lease which will marginally benefit you but vastly benefit them.

Decent battery storage will transform the energy market.

Seriously TJ :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Trapper John » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 pm

Stooo wrote:
Trapper John wrote:I can tell you what I know about solar panels fitted to council properties by councils who sort to profit from this scheme - none of the panels are connected, they provide no hot water or electricity and certainly no benefit to the tenant of the property - in effect they are there for purely cosmetic reasons - they do not work.

A few of my mates went over to solar panels after the digital TV stuff went to shit. It works and is connected to the National Grid who pay you for your contribution. A few companies rely on a lease which will marginally benefit you but vastly benefit them.

Decent battery storage will transform the energy market.

Seriously TJ :shake head:

That may be the case with private individuals, it certainly isn't the case here with council properties, I kid you not. Two of my daughter's friends live in different roads, neither have or have ever had a drop of water go through the system nor electricity through a cable.

Councils were encouraged to get tenants to agree to solar panels with financial gain, their only intent is to 'look the part' so that government can claim it is doing it's bit for the environment. It's a sham and charade matey, like almost all of this environmental crap.
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby Markey mark » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:38 pm

Couple years ago was working at a vicarage and the whole roof was solar panels ,ask the vicar if it saved him money , his reply was he got a grant from the council and got 80% discount , the church paid 20% of the total amount , it had been installed for two years and the vicar work it out , it would take 30 years to get their 20% back ,

Then only few months back another customer had couple solar panels , and he said he saving loads
Markey mark

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:55 am

By having Solar Panels fitted to the roof means the Householder is renting out the roof of the property to the Energy Company for the length of the contract
Many Building Societies and Banks are refusing Mortgages on Properties with Solar Panels installed.

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug