World Cinema/TV

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

World Cinema/TV

Postby Punk » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:26 pm

Do you watch it? Appreciate it?

My tuppence worth is I love French gangster flicks fro 58-72, Czech cinema 61-69, anything Krzysztof Kieślowski, Inspector Montalbano. I'll add to the list at some point.
Punk

Re: World Cinema/TV

Postby Keyser » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Punk wrote:Do you watch it? Appreciate it?

My tuppence worth is I love French gangster flicks fro 58-72, Czech cinema 61-69, anything Krzysztof Kieślowski, Inspector Montalbano. I'll add to the list at some point.

World films are far better than most of the big budget cobblers Hollywood churns out.

Thrillers, horror, comedy etc.

BBC4 is great for TV drama as well Engrenages (Spiral) Forbrydelsen (The Killing), Borgen, Bron/Broen (The Bridge), Inspector Montalbano, Ófærð (Trapped) etc.

In addition Les Revenants (The Returned), Les hommes de l'ombre (Spin), Blå ögon (Blue Eyes), and Professor T have been good on More4 recently. :thumbsup:
Keyser

Postby Markey mark » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 pm

Knock me down with a feather , we agree on something :laughing:
Markey mark

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:42 am

Keyser wrote:

World films are far better than most of the big budget cobblers Hollywood churns out.

Thrillers, horror, comedy etc.

BBC4 is great for TV drama as well Engrenages (Spiral) Forbrydelsen (The Killing), Borgen, Bron/Broen (The Bridge), Inspector Montalbano, Ófærð (Trapped) etc.

In addition Les Revenants (The Returned), Les hommes de l'ombre (Spin), Blå ögon (Blue Eyes), and Professor T have been good on More4 recently. :thumbsup:

Just the Nordic ones for me, can't get into Inspector Monty and haven't seen the ones on More4.

Tin Star-American but a quality one, is my current favourite drama. Tim Roth is just great.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Punk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Markey mark wrote:

Knock me down with a feather , we agree on something :laughing:

We agree on lots of things, it's just the cause (of the effect) we don't agree on.
Punk

Postby Keyser » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:47 pm

This is a great thread. :thumbsup:

A few cracking horror films most fairly recent but one getting on for a century!

Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (Nosferatu) - Max as the walking disease-ridden penis with fangs beats the living fuck out of the sparkly vampires of modern shit and his chilling portrayal will never be beaten.

Les yeux sans visage (Eyes Without a Face).

Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht (Nosferatu the Vampyre).

À l'intérieur (Inside).

Ringu (The Ring).

Ju-On (The Grudge).

[Rec].

Funny Games (original version).

Ils (Them)

El espinazo del diablo (The Devil's Backbone).

El orfanato (The Orphanage).

El laberinto del fauno (Pan's Labyrinth).

Låt den rätte komma in (Let The Right One In) - hauntingly beautiful this one.

Two comedy horrors -

Trolljegeren (Troll Hunter) - one for the baghead cunts!

Rare Exports - fuck Santa!
Keyser

Postby Bella » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Bella

Postby Keyser » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi Bella! :Hiya:
Keyser

Postby Red Okktober » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:06 pm

I much prefer Euro originals with subtitles, over Hollywood remakes.

Best recent film I've seen is Der kommer en dag (The day will come) Set in a boys home in 1960s Demark, brutal and violent, with great acting from the youngsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMO6WBS68Sk

Best TV show by a mile is Braquo, I loved Spiral. but this is something else. Corrupt police and extreme violence . Possibly the best TV series I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvSPFm21FU
Red Okktober

Postby Punk » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Red Okktober wrote:I much prefer Euro originals with subtitles, over Hollywood remakes.

Best recent film I've seen is Der kommer en dag (The day will come) Set in a boys home in 1960s Demark, brutal and violent, with great acting from the youngsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMO6WBS68Sk

Best TV show by a mile is Braquo, I loved Spiral. but this is something else. Corrupt police and extreme violence . Possibly the best TV series I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvSPFm21FU

Yes films like Taxi and Nikita have been well bastardised by Hollywood.

Russian subs for the LOLZ :header:
Punk

Postby Red Okktober » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:13 pm

A couple of films I've seen recently that have since been butchered by Hollywood:

Pour Elle - an excellent French thriller about a husband trying to free his wrongly imprisoned wife from jail. A disastrous remake - The Next Three days - starring Russell Crowe has since been made.

Anthony Zimmer - another French thriller, about the Russian mafia, plastic surgery and money laundering. Hammed up beyond belief in the Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie remake The Tourist.

Red Okktober

Postby Keyser » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Red Okktober wrote:A couple of films I've seen recently that have since been butchered by Hollywood:

Pour Elle - an excellent French thriller about a husband trying to free his wrongly imprisoned wife from jail. A disastrous remake - The Next Three days - starring Russell Crowe has since been made.

Anthony Zimmer - another French thriller, about the Russian mafia, plastic surgery and money laundering. Hammed up beyond belief in the Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie remake The Tourist.

Even the decent Hollywood remakes are not a patch on the originals - for example The Ring and Let the Right One In were fine - but Ringu and Låt den Rätte Komma In are masterpieces.
Keyser

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug