Literary Corner

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

Re: Literary Corner

Postby Vicky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 am

I'm about to start reading a book about "The World's End Murders" anyone who's Scottish, will have heard of the infamous case and the fact it took several decades and two trials to convict Angus Sinclair of Murdering Christine Eadie and Helen Scott.

The name Angus Sinclair probably isn't as well known as other Scottish serial killers, Ian Brady, Dennis Neilson, Robert Black, Peter Manuel and Peter Tobin.

However Sinclair has been convicted of killing four women and girls and is suspected of killing many more.

If the evil bastard had been kept locked up for life for his first murder in 1961 (He raped and killed a seven year old girl) a lot of heartache could have been prevented.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29985614
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:17 am

Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:18 am

Angus Sinclair was jailed for a minimum of 37 years for the World's End Murder's, the longest sentence ever handed out by a judge in Scotland.

He'll be 106 before he can apply for parole.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:51 pm

I've ordered a book on Amazon about the serial killer Derrick Todd Lee.

He murdered at least seven women in Louisiana, in a particularly brutal way.

However the police investigating the murders conducted the investigation on the grounds that because the majority of serial killers are white, it was a white man who was committing the crimes.

So they hauled in thousands of white men and DNA tested them, while Lee was still merrily murdering women.

Derrick Lee Todd was black, so no wonder he got away with it for so long!!
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm reading the book about the case of Nikitta Grender that happened in Wales 2011.

Nikitta was a beautiful young girl and was eight and a half months pregnant with her first baby and was engaged to be married.

However one Saturday morning Nikiita's parents received a phone call to say their daughters house was on fire and sadly Nikitta, the baby (Kelsey-May) and her wee dog Missy, had all died.

Then it was discovered Nikitta had been raped and died of stab wounds and the fire was lit to destroy the evidence.

Eventually a 27 year old man was charged with murder, rape, arson and child destruction.

He was sentenced to 35 years in prison.

I know all murders are awful, but this one is just beyond belief.

Nikitta.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:28 pm

The charge of Child destruction doesn't happen very often in the UK.

It's applied when a baby who would have survived out of the womb is killed.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:56 am

After I'd finished reading about Nikitta, I had a look online for an update on those involved in the case.

It seems a few years after Carl Whant was convicted of the crimes, Nikitta's younger brother was convicted of raping a twelve year old girl.

The Judge decided Luke Grender had suffered enough and gave him a suspended sentence.

Thankfully the sentence was appealed and he was jailed.

Judges who think the siblings of murder victims should be shown mercy are setting a very dangerous precedent.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:24 am

I'm now reading "The Almost Perfect Murder" by Paul Williams.

It's certainly not for the faint hearted.

Graham Dywer has a fetish of stabbing women during sex and Elaine O'Hara enjoyed being tied up and you can probably guess what happened next.

Dwyer dumped Elaine's body in the Irish countryside and if it hadn't been for a pesky Collie called Millie, he would have got away with it.

More than a year after Elaine vanished and with no clues to her whereabouts, Millie starting bringing bones back to her owner.

Elaine's bones.

I'm only half way through it at the moment.
Vicky

Postby malamute » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Can i recommend The Breakdown by A B Paris. Just finished it and it was edge of seat stuff.

Now reading Dear Tom by actor Tom Courtenay about his Hull upbringing and the letters his Mum wrote to him when he left home to go to Uni.

Also recently read A Long Walk Home by Judith Tebbutt who was captured by Somali pirates who killed her husband.
malamute

Postby Vicky » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:36 am

malamute wrote:Can i recommend The Breakdown by A B Paris. Just finished it and it was edge of seat stuff.

Now reading Dear Tom by actor Tom Courtenay about his Hull upbringing and the letters his Mum wrote to him when he left home to go to Uni.

Also recently read A Long Walk Home by Judith Tebbutt who was captured by Somali pirates who killed her husband.

Have you read "Behind Closed Doors" by B A Paris? If not, you should Mals, my mum read it and thought it was great.

Paula Daly is another good author, who writes books with a similar vein to B A Paris.
Vicky

Postby Vicky » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:10 am

I've just finished reading "A Dangerous Place: The Story Of The Railway Killers"

John Duffy and David Mulcahy murdered three young women and raped at least fifty more in a terrifying reign of terror in London in the mid-eighties.

After one of the biggest ever man hunts in British history, John Duffy was arrested and convicted.

However the police didn't have enough evidence to charge Mulcahy, so he carried on with his life.

Ten years after he was jailed, John Duffy had a breakdown and seemed unable to cope with the magnitude of his crimes and started confessing.

He told the police David Mulcahy was his accomplice and he was prepared to give evidence against him.

So for the first time in British Criminal History, a Category A prisoner gave evidence at the Old Bailey.

Thanks to John Duffy's testimony and evidence from some of their victims, Mulcahy was found guilty.

John Duffy is serving a whole life tariff and David Mulcahy must serve at least 257 years before he can apply for parole.
Vicky

Postby malamute » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 pm

Vicky wrote:
malamute wrote:Can i recommend The Breakdown by A B Paris. Just finished it and it was edge of seat stuff.

Have you read "Behind Closed Doors" by B A Paris? If not, you should Mals, my mum read it and thought it was great.

Paula Daly is another good author, who writes books with a similar vein to B A Paris.

I'm sure I replied to this Vicky but now I can't find it! As soon aS I finished Breakdown I ordered Behind Closed Doors so It should be here very soon. Weren't you tempted to try it?

I am just reading The Watcher but it's not very good TBH. Can't tell you who it's by cos it's upstairs, but it's quite boring for that type book.
malamute

Postby malamute » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:03 am

Vicky - I just finished "Behind Closed Doors" and it was a great read.
malamute

Postby drum » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:21 am

I've just finished reading The Martian , I'm told the book is far superior to the film. I won't be watching the film, book is disappointing, especially the end .
drum

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:39 am

"Not in your genes" by Oliver James.
He's a clever lad but I don't agree with him, he's saying the way we are is entirely to do with our upbringing, that no one is born good/bad etc.
I firmly believe we are a combination of nature and nurture.
So there, Oliver. :snooty:
Lady Murasaki

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug